Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,556 Members 42,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Are ALL Nexus 7 LTE tablets SIM unlocked?

Tip us?

MoonFallsDown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Are ALL Nexus 7 LTE tablets SIM unlocked?

I have two Nexus 7 LTE tablets that I acquired from Craigslist. One came with a T-Mobile SIM card, the other is in a Verizon branded box and clearly came from Verizon retailer.

I was under the impression that ALL of the Nexus 7 LTE tablets are unlocked. However, when I boot the T-Mobile one, the bootloader shows a unlocked symbol at the bottom, however the Verizon one does not. I'm not sure if this is just Verizon trickery or not.

Would I be able to use the Verizon one on a GSM network? I assume the internal hardware is identical between the two.

TheManii
Old
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,524
The unlock icon at boot has nothing to do with carrier locking, that's if the bootloader was unlocked.
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)

MoonFallsDown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Was unlocked? As in, someone unlocked it and relocked it?

skiman10
Old
Thanks Meter 59

DONATE TO ME
Yes you can use a Verizon one on a gsm network. I got a Verizon one on T-Mobile right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to skiman10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bob60626
Old
Thanks Meter 11
My Verizon sold N7 actually works with my T-Mobile unlimited PHONE sim. I only do that at home since I don't have a case for it yet, but I have sms through xposed, the T-Mobile visual voicemail, and Vonage for outgoing calls. Tethering also only shows as data used, not tethering. I've done this many times with no issues.
T-Mobile Note 2, unlocked AT&T Note 8, LTE Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to bob60626 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]