Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,492 Members 52,461 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Are ALL Nexus 7 LTE tablets SIM unlocked?

Tip us?

MoonFallsDown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Are ALL Nexus 7 LTE tablets SIM unlocked?

I have two Nexus 7 LTE tablets that I acquired from Craigslist. One came with a T-Mobile SIM card, the other is in a Verizon branded box and clearly came from Verizon retailer.

I was under the impression that ALL of the Nexus 7 LTE tablets are unlocked. However, when I boot the T-Mobile one, the bootloader shows a unlocked symbol at the bottom, however the Verizon one does not. I'm not sure if this is just Verizon trickery or not.

Would I be able to use the Verizon one on a GSM network? I assume the internal hardware is identical between the two.

TheManii
Old
Wiki Admin / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1506

DONATE TO ME
The unlock icon at boot has nothing to do with carrier locking, that's if the bootloader was unlocked.
XDA Wiki Moderator
Nexus 4: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P) 2013 N7: Stock 4.4.4 (KTU84P)
iTouch 5G: 6.1.2 (10B146) Surface Pro 2: Win8.1u1 (6.3.9600.17085.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)

MoonFallsDown
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Was unlocked? As in, someone unlocked it and relocked it?

skiman10
Old
Thanks Meter 25

DONATE TO ME
Yes you can use a Verizon one on a gsm network. I got a Verizon one on T-Mobile right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to skiman10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bob60626
Old
Thanks Meter 11
My Verizon sold N7 actually works with my T-Mobile unlimited PHONE sim. I only do that at home since I don't have a case for it yet, but I have sms through xposed, the T-Mobile visual voicemail, and Vonage for outgoing calls. Tethering also only shows as data used, not tethering. I've done this many times with no issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to bob60626 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]