Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,650 Members 38,717 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How Much RAM is Used Upon Boot?

Tip us?

Enddo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625
Default [Q] How Much RAM is Used Upon Boot?

To get an idea of how the LG overlay compares to TouchWiz. . .how much RAM is used when you first turn on your LG G3?

Nexus 5 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Paranoid Android

GoldfishTX
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enddo View Post
To get an idea of how the LG overlay compares to TouchWiz. . .how much RAM is used when you first turn on your LG G3?
I have about 600mb free (using about 1.2 GB) after boot on my international D855 (no carrier bloatware) running ART. I haven't really tinkered with it much to see how much more free RAM I can squeeze out of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoldfishTX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daleski75
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
I have about 600mb free (using about 1.2 GB) after boot on my international D855 (no carrier bloatware) running ART. I haven't really tinkered with it much to see how much more free RAM I can squeeze out of it.
Exactly the same amount as my D855 (Three branded but no bloatware)
Current Phone
LG G3 16Gb

Past Phones
Sony Ericsson T28s, Nokia 8210, Sony Ericsson T68i, Nokia 6100, Samsung V200, Samsung D500, Sharp 802, HTC Diamond, LG Viewty, LG Prada, Orange SPV, HTC HD2, Nexus One, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Nexus S, Samsung Omnia, Samsung Galaxy SII, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z1, Nexus 5 (LOST), iPhone 5S
The Following User Says Thank You to daleski75 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1382

DONATE TO ME
When you guys say no bloatware, what exactly have you removed because you could be removing different things thus the impact of your results could be quite different

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

Guide to Unroot LG G3 for OTA
Chromecast System UI Crash Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: LG G3, Google LG Nexus 5, Chromecast, Acer C720 Chromebook
Retired: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

GoldfishTX
Old
Thanks Meter 18
What I mean is that I have a non-carrier branded phone, and it has no carrier added bloatware on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoldfishTX For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Enddo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishTX View Post
does any RAM usage change if you use the Google Now Launcher, or Nova Launcher and boot up?

daleski75
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:
does any RAM usage change if you use the Google Now Launcher, or Nova Launcher and boot up?
Just tried the google now launcher and the ram usage is exactly the same which is odd as I would of thought it would be less with a different launcher..

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

My mates Nexus 5 has 1.2Gb free of 2Gb (600mb used) to put it into perspective, wow this G3 uses a of RAM on startup this thing should have 3Gb as default on both the 16 and 32Gb variants.
Current Phone
LG G3 16Gb

Past Phones
Sony Ericsson T28s, Nokia 8210, Sony Ericsson T68i, Nokia 6100, Samsung V200, Samsung D500, Sharp 802, HTC Diamond, LG Viewty, LG Prada, Orange SPV, HTC HD2, Nexus One, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, Nexus S, Samsung Omnia, Samsung Galaxy SII, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, Nokia Lumia 920, HTC One, Sony Xperia Z1, Nexus 5 (LOST), iPhone 5S
The Following User Says Thank You to daleski75 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Enddo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleski75 View Post
Just tried the google now launcher and the ram usage is exactly the same which is odd as I would of thought it would be less with a different launcher..

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

My mates Nexus 5 has 1.2Gb free of 2Gb (600mb used) to put it into perspective, wow this G3 uses a of RAM on startup this thing should have 3Gb as default on both the 16 and 32Gb variants.
thanks for the heads up, and I agree, the 3GB variant is really the only way to go

are you seeing lag in any of these launchers? I've read some people complaining about the stock UI lagging. I was hoping this would be eliminated by using Google Now launcher. Maybe a custom ROM is the best way to go. I was hoping to get all that LG software optimizations from their stock software though

daleski75
Old
Thanks Meter 443
Quote:
thanks for the heads up, and I agree, the 3GB variant is really the only way to go

are you seeing lag in any of these launchers? I've read some people complaining about the stock UI lagging. I was hoping this would be eliminated by using Google Now launcher. Maybe a custom ROM is the best way to go. I was hoping to get all that LG software optimizations from their stock software though
I use the knock code which doesn't work with any other launcher than the G3 one and seen some lag but it's not all the time and mostly when swiping between screens on the app drawer.
Current Phone
LG G3 16Gb

Past Phones

GoldfishTX
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:

Nova launcher is about the same. I don't really have any lag on the stock ui. Nova is terrible though.