Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 53,749 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What are the odds of us getting an L Preview port

Tip us?

TenderloinShadow
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 70
Default What are the odds of us getting an L Preview port

I mean, we have a GPE port. I know, I know, this is literally the definition of shot-in-the-dark. No source code release means extremely difficult to build for alternate devices, and unless Google chooses to release a preview for GPE devices we're screwed.

Still, I have to ask: is there even a tiny chance?

termleech
Old
Thanks Meter 912

DONATE TO ME
Oh there is always a chance of a crappy port. But you are better off just waiting for the official release. Look at the issues CM has and they have source.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Team BAKED Developer / Maintainer

Donations are never expected but always welcomed. Click here to donate.

n0ne980
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Of an official preview I would say nill. That a Dev will hack something together even if its just the GUI I would say put that pretty high.

I would bet a lot of the aspo devs have already looked at it and are trying to size up the challenge.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 200
CM has source? I think Google is waiting on the Nexus 9 to release source. They always withhold source until the Nexus device that launches the new version is released. Then they release source and CM and the others start building. KitKat didn't get a Nexus device; if you remember, it was released on Halloween (31 October) last year. It was just released, source and all. And CM had releases inside a week. There's a developer preview out, but it's beta and has issues even in the official binaries. I'm not putting it on my N7.

We're getting L within 90 days from HTC. Then you'll see the Sense-based ROMs get it. But I imagine CM will beat HTC to the punch, so all the AOSP-alike ROMs will get it long before then. CM, LiquidSmooth, and such.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / CleanROM

n0ne980
Old
Thanks Meter 8
i think what @termleech was saying is look at how much time it takes for a "stable" CM release for any given phone. and they have a KK source base to work with.

also @termleech it wouldn't just be google to decided. google would have to ok it. then they would give the source to HTC who would then release a build.

But its really not in HTC's interest. Unless google is going hey where not changing any of these features other then for bug fixes then HTC would be putting in time to build and test a build that they will have to disregard when google changes major things.

ccoulterjg1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Unfortunately, I think the chances of a preview build are very low; however, devs have already started baking in L features into 4.4.4 GPE roms which would be a decent substitute until the GPE M8 gets the update and is then ported to our device. In any case, we're pretty much first in line for HTC when it comes to pushing L out. They've already promised an update within 90 days of the release but it will probably be sooner.
The Following User Says Thank You to ccoulterjg1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]