Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] G900F vs G900W8

OP shadowofdarkness

31st May 2014, 11:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 141

544 posts
Is there any difference between these phones from my bit of research I see posts about W8 owners flashing F custom roms. I know that letter differences don't always mean any changes since I am coming from a Galaxy S 2 i9100M which is virtually the same as the international to the point I just started referring to it as the international online.

I want to know since I am looking to update and due to my carrier refusing to give me a new contract pricing on the W8 unless I increase my monthly bill (I'm grandfathered into a really good promo plan. $63 when it would be $90 for the exact same now)

If they are not exactly the same would I have any problem using the F in Canada on Telus
1st June 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #2  
T0r0nt0!
Thanks Meter: 39

262 posts
More
Official Samsung page for the W8:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-G900WZKABMC-techspecs

Official page for the F:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...00FZDAO2U-spec

Looks like the frequencies supported might vary slightly. I am not sure whether the F will run on Canadian LTE bands, and I hope someone who knows the local frequencies can chime in.

I am personally using a Rogers W8 model in Toronto.
10th June 2014, 11:59 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 22

300 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumsteak

Official Samsung page for the W8:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SM-G900WZKABMC-techspecs

Official page for the F:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...00FZDAO2U-spec

Looks like the frequencies supported might vary slightly. I am not sure whether the F will run on Canadian LTE bands, and I hope someone who knows the local frequencies can chime in.

I am personally using a Rogers W8 model in Toronto.

bump...

i have the exact same question regarding using the F version in Canada with Rogers wireless...

thanks.
11th June 2014, 01:17 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 141

544 posts
Thanks for those links about the frequencies. I have decided that if I get one I will just get the local W8. For better frequency compatibility plus the fact I had forgotten about the recent trend of region locking that might of caused a problem with getting the F version.
11th June 2014, 11:50 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 61

367 posts
More
If you are Canadian avoid the F at all times! It won't be compatible with your LTE bands!! You need the 700Mhz band and that is not supported with the F version.
12th June 2014, 12:29 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 22

300 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johan81

If you are Canadian avoid the F at all times! It won't be compatible with your LTE bands!! You need the 700Mhz band and that is not supported with the F version.

but i thought rogers uses more than just the 700 mhz frequency as part of their 4g network..?
12th June 2014, 09:44 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 61

367 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl25

but i thought rogers uses more than just the 700 mhz frequency as part of their 4g network..?

That is correct, also the 2600 band, which is also not supported by the F version and it is supported by the W8.
12th June 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Anyone know if I can flash a G900F modem on W8? I was given one as a gift bought online and now I have a small problem in my country with it.
30th June 2014, 11:02 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Any new info?
Hi,
I would also be really interested by a way to flash the modem on the S5. I own a W8 and have some issue using it in France...
Any idea ??

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread