Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,851 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The rooting of the M8

Tip us?
 
RockStar2005
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 78
Join Date: May 2014
Default The rooting of the M8

Hello all,

I have some questions about rooting my phone, the HTC One M8. If someone gets a new phone like this one, backs it up after initial setup, roots and does s-off, and then does a second backup (optional).......... is there any reason why that person should need to worry about anything going wrong? I'm replacing my phone and want to know that as long as I back it up before rooting and s-off, I should never have to worry, right?

Also, once you root a phone, you can still get new OTAs right? The rooting doesn't stop that, right? Just a simple yes or no is fine.

Kindly please answer both. I appreciate all those who can shed some light! It seems that rooting is ok as long as you do it (and S-OFF) BEFORE receiving any OTAs, or that's what I think.

Thank You,

RockStar2005
 
lampel
Old
#2  
lampel's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 69
Posts: 341
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005 View Post
Hello all,

I have some questions about rooting my phone, the HTC One M8. If someone gets a new phone like this one, backs it up after initial setup, roots and does s-off, and then does a second backup (optional).......... is there any reason why that person should need to worry about anything going wrong? I'm replacing my phone and want to know that as long as I back it up before rooting and s-off, I should never have to worry, right?

Also, once you root a phone, you can still get new OTAs right? The rooting doesn't stop that, right? Just a simple yes or no is fine.

Kindly please answer both. I appreciate all those who can shed some light! It seems that rooting is ok as long as you do it (and S-OFF) BEFORE receiving any OTAs, or that's what I think.

Thank You,

RockStar2005
part of rooting is a custom recovery which can block ota's from installing. sometimes the updates can manually be flashed or you can just revert to a stock recovery temporarily but changes to your system can also block the install. as far as the backups it's what ever your comfortable with - I never bother with backups of the stock software and I've never needed one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Provider: T-Mobile US
Device: HTC One
 
RockStar2005
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 78
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampel View Post
part of rooting is a custom recovery which can block ota's from installing. sometimes the updates can manually be flashed or you can just revert to a stock recovery temporarily but changes to your system can also block the install. as far as the backups it's what ever your comfortable with - I never bother with backups of the stock software and I've never needed one.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Ok thank Lampel!

RockStar2005
 
leo9891
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 60
Join Date: Jan 2012
I have questions pertaining to Rooting the HTC One M8 aswell.

I moved from Samsung's Galaxy line of phones and have always Rooted without hesitation. Reasons being, I have become comfortable with the way they work and am confident I can return it to Stock (no modded counters on it or whatever), if I need to bring it back to my carrier for some reason.

Now I just got my M8, and definitely want to Root it, but all the new terms for HTC phones confuse me a little. Things I need to know before going forward with Rooting are:

1) What is "S-Off"/'S-On"? And what does it mean?
2) If I Root, can I bring it back to Stock where it will look like I did nothing to it so I can return to the store if I need to?
3) I know there are risks when Rooting, but are there things that become "broken" or don't work because of Rooting? Examples would be like Sony's Xperia devices, the Bravia Engine stops working, and so does the Camera (for some models). Those things become "broken" as a security feature for Sony. Did HTC do anything similar?
4) Anything else you might think I need to know before Rooting?

Thanks in advance!
 
janderia
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 18
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo9891 View Post
1) What is "S-Off"/'S-On"? And what does it mean?
I'm not 100% certain on the other questions but maybe I can help with your first question.

Security-ON / Security-OFF. These settings seem specific to HTC. When you purchase a new phone, it will be S-On. This basically means that there are specific areas of your phone that you won't be able to touch, even with root access. However, you can alter the system, boot, and recovery partitions with root access and S-On. S-Off will allow access to the radio and other partitions that you won't be able to access with S-On. S-Off also allows you to change the splash screen. You can check your S-on/S-off status by booting into fastboot (power off phone, press volume down and power until you see the white fastboot screen).

It is my understanding that in order to get S-Off on newer HTC One M8's, Sunshine (http://theroot.ninja/) can be used but it does cost $25. The htcdev.com site has more information on S-On/S-Off along with warnings of why you may not want to go with S-Off here: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/about_unlock_process.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes