Firefox OS Architecture and Collaboration Opportunities w/ Asa Dotzler – XDA:DevCon 2014

We were privileged to host many presentations … more

Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Can Note II with 4.4 OTA Be Rooted?

OP MaxBuck

25th June 2014, 08:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Sorry if this has been covered already in another thread, but I couldn't find an answer using Search.

I really need to be able to store files generated by apps on the SD card, which I know from experience on another device (Note 10.1) KitKat disables. I also know that rooting allows me to install an app that will allow this limitation to be overcome. My question is whether, by accepting the OTA, I will be unable to root the phone. And if so, how?

I'm currently on 4.3, AND3 build.
25th June 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Sorry if this has been covered already in another thread, but I couldn't find an answer using Search.

I really need to be able to store files generated by apps on the SD card, which I know from experience on another device (Note 10.1) KitKat disables. I also know that rooting allows me to install an app that will allow this limitation to be overcome. My question is whether, by accepting the OTA, I will be unable to root the phone. And if so, how?

I'm currently on 4.3, AND3 build.

Currently no way to root stock OTA 4.4.2 for out Note II (assuming you have the locked bootloader. If you're unlocked, then you can just flash the rooted 4.4.2 ROM).
The Following User Says Thank You to xnatex21 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th June 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #3  
lacoursiere18's Avatar
Recognized Themer
Flag LbTs
Thanks Meter: 5,241
 
3,609 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBuck

Sorry if this has been covered already in another thread, but I couldn't find an answer using Search.

I really need to be able to store files generated by apps on the SD card, which I know from experience on another device (Note 10.1) KitKat disables. I also know that rooting allows me to install an app that will allow this limitation to be overcome. My question is whether, by accepting the OTA, I will be unable to root the phone. And if so, how?

I'm currently on 4.3, AND3 build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnatex21

Currently no way to root stock OTA 4.4.2 for out Note II (assuming you have the locked bootloader. If you're unlocked, then you can just flash the rooted 4.4.2 ROM).

Please use the search feature that is a strong tool on this forum before posting..Also your question need to be in the Q&A section
All realted to your post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2794745
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2792762
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791544
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783714
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2792869
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791889

@jcase please close all these and make ONE
26th June 2014, 06:20 AM   |  #4  
jcase's Avatar
Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Taco Vendor
Flag Sequim WA
Thanks Meter: 8,718
 
4,049 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18

Please use the search feature that is a strong tool on this forum before posting..Also your question need to be in the Q&A section
All realted to your post:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2794745
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2792762
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791544
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783714
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2792869
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2791889

@jcase please close all these and make ONE

Please use the report feature I'm on the road right now
30th June 2014, 10:13 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacoursiere18

Please use the search feature that is a strong tool on this forum before posting.

This is indeed a great site, but if the search function were as strong as you think it is, I wouldn't have had to post this thread. (I now fully understand the Q&A subforum, which is a terrific resource.) It's pretty obvious to me now that if I want root, I can't have updated to KitKat!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to root having backdated my build version to MJ9, which similarly isn't all that easy to find.
1st July 2014, 03:15 AM   |  #6  
vlx600d's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
I hate preaching to the search function, your right. It ain't google. If your back on mj9 use safe strap and safe root. Don't take the ota to 4.4.2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes