Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,165 Members 44,056 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

If I don't really care about the camera, should I get the M8 over the S5?

Tip us?

slapdaddy
Old
Thanks Meter 65
The M8 blows the S5 away IMO. After having this phone (M8) for some time, I can easily say that this is the best phone I've ever had.

The S5 feels like a cheap plastic kids toy in comparison. And the Samsung UI is equally as distasteful...it feels like it's built for people who prefer cartoons over professional refinement...if that's even a term lol. The Note 3 has a huge screen and that's awfully nice, but the M8 still comes out on top for me.

leijonasisu
Old
(Last edited by leijonasisu; 29th June 2014 at 10:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 55
If you read almost any review site they all put the S5 somewhere as the 4th best phone of 2014. The M8 is always right at the top. I love the look of the M8, I currently have the S4 but I do take so many pictures with my phone that I'd be really sad if they turned out to be kinda bad. After seeing the 2 pictures that someone posted here, the mountainside one I must say I am impressed. GSM arena's pictures really don't do the M8 justice. I feel kinda bad that the battery isn't removable either but if the drain isn't bad and it charges fast then I am happy. I think I will get the M8, especially if people are saying that they are going from the S5 back to the M8. I can't imagine all of you guys being wrong...

My only real question is.. is it really an 'upgrade' over the S4:
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5371

Because it just seems to be a newer phone but with a worse camera :/

Galaxy S V - G900FXXU1ANE4
KNOX ✓ 1x1 [TowelRooted]

redpoint73
Old
(Last edited by redpoint73; 30th June 2014 at 03:11 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by leijonasisu View Post

Because it just seems to be a newer phone but with a worse camera :/
It depend on how you use the camera. To say the camera is "worse" in all conditions, means you may not fully understand the technical intricacies of the issue. M8 wins over the S5 in low light, hands down. "Low light" being just about any light condition except outdoors in daylight. Since many (even most) of my pics are taken indoors, to me the M8 has the better camera; and the S5 is actually "worse". Even daylight pics on the M8 look pretty good when viewed on a computer screen. That is as much detail or resolution as I need.

Other phone manufacturers are pushing the MP count just to look good on paper, but losing light sensitivity by doing so. HTC recognized how most folks actually use camera phones, and decided on they thought would yield the best pictures based on actual usage, not just to push meaningless specs. High pixel count only matters if you are blowing up or cropping pics. So needlessly pushing the pixel count to sacrifice light sensitivity is a waste.

As far as comparing the other features of the phone, the front facing speakers on the M8 blow away any other smartphone, if you use your device that way. The build quality isn't even in the same ballpark. And while the hardware specs may be similar, TouchWiz just bogs down the S5, making it laggy while the M8 is fast and smooth as silk.
Please click the "Thanks" button if you found a post helpful!

Phone: AT&T HTC One (M8)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 (WiFi only)

leijonasisu
Old
Thanks Meter 55
I use themer so I am not so sure how much use I would get out of the Sense UI. In addition I use my camera a lot for outdoor shots. Ok some days it might be overcast and I know that the camera isn't 'terrible' it's better than a 5 or 8MP camera in many cases, and maybe about the same as the iPhone 5S camera. Plus it's got some cool features. I am just not sure about the boombox speakers, because I don't use my phone in that way, similarly I can get a metal case for the S5 so I never have to look at how ugly it is. What I am trying to say is that I am not so sure that the M8 has real selling points for me, apart from being a non-Samsung phone.

Galaxy S V - G900FXXU1ANE4
KNOX ✓ 1x1 [TowelRooted]