Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,752 Members 39,664 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Enable multiple user accounts on non-KitKat ROM

Tip us?

hanspampel
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,271

DONATE TO ME
So guys ive made a flashable zip for this edit to build.prop. Works fine. Tested by me. But you should have busybox installed, otherwise i shouldnt work so.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MultiUser_Support_build.prop-Fix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (144.7 KB, 11 views)
Samsung Galaxy S4 - [Android 4.4.2] - Imperium Rom
Nexus 10 - [Android 4.4.4] - My "Factory Image"
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 - [Android 4.4.2] - my own xKat ROM
"My small Projects"

The Following User Says Thank You to hanspampel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matapo
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanspampel View Post
So guys ive made a flashable zip for this edit to build.prop. Works fine. Tested by me. But you should have busybox installed, otherwise i shouldnt work so.
Thanks!! That's really awesome of you

Just a quick question - I imagine that there wouldn't be any issue with future updates right? When the option will be added officially I mean (obviously OTA won't work anyway though, with a 'customised system' preventing normal Samsung updates)
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III I9300
ROM: Paranoid Android 4.4 (Android 4.4.4)
Kernel: Boeffla Omni v2.3
Recovery: TWRP 2.7

Past Devices: Nokia 3310 > Motorola Razr V3 > Nokia N73 > Nokia N95 > Nokia N96 > Nokia N97 > iPhone 4 > Nokia N8 >BlackBerry Bold 9900 > Samsung i9100

If you find my posts useful: please click the THANKS button!

TheVirus1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanx a mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNickZA View Post
When I picked up my Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P605) I was very disappointed to find that multiple user accounts had been disabled. A little research revealed that there was a US Cellular ROM in the past that had it enabled, but all other ROMs did not. Also, apparently the new KitKat ROM is going to have it. But what to do while we wait for Samsung to update our device?

Well, as it turns out, the answer is a lot easier than you might think, provided you have a rooted device.

Disclaimer: My device is the SM-P605 running P605XXUBMJA. I gained root using Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root. Try this at your own risk.

Basically, ALL you have to do is add a single line to the bottom of your build.prop file in /system, as follows:

Code:
fw.max_users=4

I edited my build.prop using my file editor (Solid Explorer) after giving it root privileges. You can also do it via a terminal emulator or ADB. Reboot your device, and that's all there is to it!

After a reboot, I had the "Users" option under General in Settings, and I was able to add my wife as a second user. We can now switch users either from the lockscreen, or the notification pull-down. After reading countless posts here on XDA saying that it was impossible, I really was surprised at how easy it was in the end.

Hopefully this helps others like me that are impatiently waiting for the KitKat update so that they can share their tablet with family members / guests.

Enjoy!
StNickZA...Thanx alot for this one line of code, added it last night and works PERFECT

intvision
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanspampel View Post
I've rooted my Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (Original ROM), I installed the busybox, then I flashed the zip file, but nothing happened.

Please advise me.

STELIOSFAN
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by StNickZA View Post
When I picked up my Note 10.1 2014 Edition (SM-P605) I was very disappointed to find that multiple user accounts had been disabled. A little research revealed that there was a US Cellular ROM in the past that had it enabled, but all other ROMs did not. Also, apparently the new KitKat ROM is going to have it. But what to do while we wait for Samsung to update our device?

Well, as it turns out, the answer is a lot easier than you might think, provided you have a rooted device.

Disclaimer: My device is the SM-P605 running P605XXUBMJA. I gained root using Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root. Try this at your own risk.

Basically, ALL you have to do is add a single line to the bottom of your build.prop file in /system, as follows:

Code:
fw.max_users=4

I edited my build.prop using my file editor (Solid Explorer) after giving it root privileges. You can also do it via a terminal emulator or ADB. Reboot your device, and that's all there is to it!

After a reboot, I had the "Users" option under General in Settings, and I was able to add my wife as a second user. We can now switch users either from the lockscreen, or the notification pull-down. After reading countless posts here on XDA saying that it was impossible, I really was surprised at how easy it was in the end.

Hopefully this helps others like me that are impatiently waiting for the KitKat update so that they can share their tablet with family members / guests.

Enjoy!
While I can confirm this totally works like a charm, I am experiencing a weird issue. THE LOCKSCREEN

Its behaving strangely. When i change users (both pass protected) the lockscreen always keeps the previous user's wallpaper. Sometimes it also "freezes" for a couple of seconds and cannot enter pin or pattern.

Am I the only one having these issues?

Im just rooted with towelroot and supersu, fully stock
Free Greek Electronic Music

this is not a mind trip / this is a body journey