Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,797 Members 51,992 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

tab 3 8.0 - uk ota kitkat rolling out

Tip us?

Smokey Mc Pot
Old
(Last edited by Smokey Mc Pot; 26th June 2014 at 09:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly10 View Post
Anyone experienced any random reboots whilst using the new KitKat update?

I've had one yesterday whilst installing some apps from the Play Store another today just after I un-installed an app.

Reading around seems a few of Samsung's devices are having issues with KitKat & random reboots etc.

I'm rooted so I'm not sure if that contributes to it what with KNOX an all?
Nope!

Did you done a factory reset yet?
Some features and apps in my tablet only apeared after I made a factory reset.
Also, there are some extra new settings on the first login.

I didn't experienced any lags yet, my tab is running freaking fast and smooth since the update, but I noticed that is also using more ram than before.
[emoji12](I think is because of the multiple users feature.)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

dhd1802
Old
(Last edited by dhd1802; 27th June 2014 at 01:28 PM.) Reason: update
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
No complaints for me. Fast and smooth... getting 5 hours of screen time (33% brightness) playing games, youtube which is no different than jb

*actually battery life is pretty messed up, getting 1hr 30mins of screen time now with the same usage pattern.
i updated a note 8 to kitkat 2 weeks ago, and that had the same issue with serious battery drain. samsung service centre said the battery was faulty with that, even though it was fine pre 4.4.2

Smokey Mc Pot
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhd1802 View Post
*actually battery life is pretty messed up, getting 1hr 30mins of screen time now with the same usage pattern.
i updated a note 8 to kitkat 2 weeks ago, and that had the same issue with serious battery drain. samsung service centre said the battery was faulty with that, even though it was fine pre 4.4.2
With Samsung devices sometimes you need to recalibrate the battery when you receive a firmware update.

All you need to do is:
- Back up your data and do a factory reset.
- Boot the device and allow the battery run out to the point it turns the device "OFF" on is own.
- After that recharge the device again and make sure not to use the device until the charge is complete.

And that should be enough to recalibrate the battery correctly again.

dhd1802
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Mc Pot View Post
With Samsung devices sometimes you need to recalibrate the battery when you receive a firmware update.

All you need to do is:
- Back up your data and do a factory reset.
- Boot the device and allow the battery run out to the point it turns the device "OFF" on is own.
- After that recharge the device again and make sure not to use the device until the charge is complete.

And that should be enough to recalibrate the battery correctly again.

Tried that method, and left it charging over night.... Battery still drained in 90mins. Going g to try one of the other ways, before pulling the battery.

mzk_kool
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Music Album Art Lockscreen

Hello
Is anyone getting the fullscreen album art on their lock screen?

podycust
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk_kool View Post
Hello
No am not

dhd1802
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by podycust View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk_kool View Post
Hello
No am not
no album art for myself either

emuX
Old
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhd1802 View Post
Tried that method, and left it charging over night.... Battery still drained in 90mins. Going g to try one of the other ways, before pulling the battery.
Try installing CPU Spy and checking the CPU states. If you aren't getting deep sleep showing up as most of the CPU time (assuming the device is mostly idle) and it's mainly at 300MHZ then you've probably got an app wakelock issue that affects KitKat but didn't affect Jellybean.

dhd1802
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuX View Post
Try installing CPU Spy and checking the CPU states. If you aren't getting deep sleep showing up as most of the CPU time (assuming the device is mostly idle) and it's mainly at 300MHZ then you've probably got an app wakelock issue that affects KitKat but didn't affect Jellybean.
it not a app issue, its the same battery calibration issue that i had with the note 8 kitkat.

(see pics) the spikes in battery life are from the tablet, being tuned back on after it automatically turns off for low battery. it will jump from 0% to between 8% and 11% which i can repeat over and over until i loose the will to live, and recharge it.

screen on time is currently 4hrs which is down from the previous 5hrs+, though is slowly improving. currently going throught the 0% to 11% cycle at the minute

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_use.png
Views:	76
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2827114Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_on_time.png
Views:	72
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	2827115