Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Google Adds New Features to Drive, Sheets, Slides and Docs

In the last few months, Google has been working very hard to adapt all its apps to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Restore Stock Samsung Recovery

OP tailgunner9

1st July 2014, 04:33 PM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 19

203 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13

One issue with the 4.3 bootloader is the fact that you cannot simply flash back to stock using Odin if something goes wrong.

I think there are different versions of the stock recovery because updated versions of CWM and TWRP are required to flash newer custom ROMs. Also, some phones have different partition layouts. For example, Samsung phones have an EFS folder that can be accessed by an end user while this is not the case with a Nexus 4.

Makes Sense!!!! May I ask you what is an "Easy Way" to get my i747 S3 4.3 to 4.4.2 since I cannot do the OTA I get and that you know WORKS. I am rooted with CWM for recovery.
1st July 2014, 04:41 PM   |  #12  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 991

3,139 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner9

Makes Sense!!!! May I ask you what is an "Easy Way" to get my i747 S3 4.3 to 4.4.2 since I cannot do the OTA I get and that you know WORKS. I am rooted with CWM for recovery.

I don't know of a sure-fire way. Whenever a person alters a phone's operating system using official or unofficial methods, there's always a risk that something will go wrong.

Since you have CWM, you could flash a custom Kit Kat ROM? If you want the latest TouchWiz ROM, have a look in the development thread. You'll need the newwest version of CWM to flash Kit Kat.
1st July 2014, 04:55 PM   |  #13  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
Quote:

I don't know of a sure-fire way. Whenever a person alters a phone's operating system using official or unofficial methods, there's always a risk that something will go wrong.

Since you have CWM, you could flash a custom Kit Kat ROM? If you want the latest TouchWiz ROM, have a look in the development thread. You'll need the newwest version of CWM to flash Kit Kat.

Rom Manager shows it has latest CWM Recovery. Did not really want a Custom Rom, always like the Stock ones on phone. Guess I am just stuck with 4.3 then. Thanks for your HELP!!!!!
1st July 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #14  
Toronto

3,139 posts
More
Quote:

Rom Manager shows it has latest CWM Recovery. Did not really want a Custom Rom, always like the Stock ones on phone. Guess I am just stuck with 4.3 then. Thanks for your HELP!!!!!

I prefer custom ROMs because they tend to perform better than a stock carrier ROM in my opinion. I prefer a dark UI which TW doesn't have.

Since you have a custom recovery, you could create a nandroid backup, flash a custom KK ROM, and try it out. If you don't like the custom ROM, restore your backup.
1st July 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #15  
OP Senior Member

203 posts
Quote:

I prefer custom ROMs because they tend to perform better than a stock carrier ROM in my opinion. I prefer a dark UI which TW doesn't have.

Since you have a custom recovery, you could create a nandroid backup, flash a custom KK ROM, and try it out. If you don't like the custom ROM, restore your backup.

That is very true I have backup of my 4.3. Unless something would screw up and could not get phone to life to get to Recovery. Just stay with the 4.3 Will never install CWM again and loose 3e Samsung Recovery where you can not get OTA Updates. Thanks again audit13!!!!! They should make CWM & TWRP where you can good back to Stock Samsung Recovery. My opinion...
Last edited by tailgunner9; 1st July 2014 at 05:13 PM.
1st July 2014, 05:10 PM   |  #16  
Toronto

3,139 posts
More
Quote:

That is very true I have backup of my 4.3. Unless something would screw up and could not get phone to life to get to Recovery. Just stay with the 4.3 Will never install CWM again and loose 3e Samsung Recovery where you can not get OTA Updates. Thanks again audit13!!!!!

Sorry I couldn't help you more. I went from a stock Bell Canada 4.1.2 ROM to a custom KK ROM.

Have a look in the development forum. You'll see some amazing KK ROMs. If you wait a while, I'm sure you'll see some custom KK TW ROMs based off a stock TW ROM and kernel.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread