Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,441 Members 44,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Restore Stock Samsung Recovery

Tip us?
 
tailgunner9
Old
#11  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 164
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
One issue with the 4.3 bootloader is the fact that you cannot simply flash back to stock using Odin if something goes wrong.

I think there are different versions of the stock recovery because updated versions of CWM and TWRP are required to flash newer custom ROMs. Also, some phones have different partition layouts. For example, Samsung phones have an EFS folder that can be accessed by an end user while this is not the case with a Nexus 4.
Makes Sense!!!! May I ask you what is an "Easy Way" to get my i747 S3 4.3 to 4.4.2 since I cannot do the OTA I get and that you know WORKS. I am rooted with CWM for recovery.
 
audit13
Old
#12  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 374
Posts: 2,301
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner9 View Post
Makes Sense!!!! May I ask you what is an "Easy Way" to get my i747 S3 4.3 to 4.4.2 since I cannot do the OTA I get and that you know WORKS. I am rooted with CWM for recovery.
I don't know of a sure-fire way. Whenever a person alters a phone's operating system using official or unofficial methods, there's always a risk that something will go wrong.

Since you have CWM, you could flash a custom Kit Kat ROM? If you want the latest TouchWiz ROM, have a look in the development thread. You'll need the newwest version of CWM to flash Kit Kat.
 
tailgunner9
Old
#13  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 164
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
I don't know of a sure-fire way. Whenever a person alters a phone's operating system using official or unofficial methods, there's always a risk that something will go wrong.

Since you have CWM, you could flash a custom Kit Kat ROM? If you want the latest TouchWiz ROM, have a look in the development thread. You'll need the newwest version of CWM to flash Kit Kat.
Rom Manager shows it has latest CWM Recovery. Did not really want a Custom Rom, always like the Stock ones on phone. Guess I am just stuck with 4.3 then. Thanks for your HELP!!!!!
 
audit13
Old
#14  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 374
Posts: 2,301
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner9 View Post
Rom Manager shows it has latest CWM Recovery. Did not really want a Custom Rom, always like the Stock ones on phone. Guess I am just stuck with 4.3 then. Thanks for your HELP!!!!!
I prefer custom ROMs because they tend to perform better than a stock carrier ROM in my opinion. I prefer a dark UI which TW doesn't have.

Since you have a custom recovery, you could create a nandroid backup, flash a custom KK ROM, and try it out. If you don't like the custom ROM, restore your backup.
 
tailgunner9
Old
(Last edited by tailgunner9; 1st July 2014 at 04:13 PM.)
#15  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Posts: 164
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post
I prefer custom ROMs because they tend to perform better than a stock carrier ROM in my opinion. I prefer a dark UI which TW doesn't have.

Since you have a custom recovery, you could create a nandroid backup, flash a custom KK ROM, and try it out. If you don't like the custom ROM, restore your backup.
That is very true I have backup of my 4.3. Unless something would screw up and could not get phone to life to get to Recovery. Just stay with the 4.3 Will never install CWM again and loose 3e Samsung Recovery where you can not get OTA Updates. Thanks again audit13!!!!! They should make CWM & TWRP where you can good back to Stock Samsung Recovery. My opinion...
 
audit13
Old
#16  
audit13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 374
Posts: 2,301
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner9 View Post
That is very true I have backup of my 4.3. Unless something would screw up and could not get phone to life to get to Recovery. Just stay with the 4.3 Will never install CWM again and loose 3e Samsung Recovery where you can not get OTA Updates. Thanks again audit13!!!!!
Sorry I couldn't help you more. I went from a stock Bell Canada 4.1.2 ROM to a custom KK ROM.

Have a look in the development forum. You'll see some amazing KK ROMs. If you wait a while, I'm sure you'll see some custom KK TW ROMs based off a stock TW ROM and kernel.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Pushbullet Updated with SMS Send Ability

Pushbullet is one of thoseapplications that every Android lover should have installed on his or … more

[OTA] Nvidia Shield Tablet Receives its First Update

The Nvidia Shield Tabletis the latest toy from one of the largest desktop graphics … more

Quick Control Panel Updated, Adds Notification Support

As some of you may remember, earlier this year we spoke about Quick Control Panel by … more

Narrate Makes Note Taking Efficient and Beautiful

Technology has put life on the fast track. Whether its travelling to multiple places or … more