Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,543 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] instead of using power button, is there any way to shutdown my lumia 520

Tip us?

geddeeee
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Short answer... No. Use the POWER button. The clue's in the title of the button.... That's what it's for!!!!

focosi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
To switch down the device when the power-off button doesn't work properly, just long-press simultaneously both the power-off and volume-down buttons. Worked for me on Lumia 720, so hopefully will work for you too. That seems to be a higher-level power off. Try twice if it doesn't work at first attempt. Hope this helps.

riiidaa
Old
Thanks Meter 0
An app to do shut down would be BAD if as you stated the power button doesn't work. How would you ever turn it back on?

An app that allowed reboot however would be advisable, if such existed.
The RIIIDAA

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2677
@riiidaa: Have you failed to notice that the phone automatically turns on when plugged into power?

There are apps that will reboot, but if you want to save battery by turning the phone off (with the caveat that yeah, you won't be able to turn it on again until you get to a power cable, which does sort of limit the usefulness) it's *probably* possible for an app to do this, actually. It doesn't require any terribly special permissions on Windows, at least normally. On the phone there is an ID_CAP_BUILTIN_SHUTDOWN which says it lets you "Shutdown or reboot the system" though, so maybe it's only possible for capability-unlocked phones.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]