Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,583 Members 40,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to find a good custom ROM & kernel?

Tip us?

ferivon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How to find a good custom ROM & kernel?

Since it doesn't really appear to be allowed to ask for good ROMs, how can I find a ROM that fits my needs?
I'm basically looking for a list of ROMS that are compatible with my device. By "compatible with my device" I mean that it should support display output through the HDMI and of course support for all the other hardware compunents. My device is a Xperia Neo V btw.
If I remember it correctly I need an ICS or GB ROM.

So is there a nice list that allows a complete noob like me to find out which ROM could be my best or at least a good choice?
Maybe a list with descriptions or feature lists so that I can tell which ROM I like the most.
And of course it would be nice if the list would only contain or mark compatible ROMs.

I'm also looking for a list of compatible kernels.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ferivon

AbhiLP
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferivon View Post
Since it doesn't really appear to be allowed to ask for good ROMs, how can I find a ROM that fits my needs?
I'm basically looking for a list of ROMS that are compatible with my device. By "compatible with my device" I mean that it should support display output through the HDMI and of course support for all the other hardware compunents. My device is a Xperia Neo V btw.
If I remember it correctly I need an ICS or GB ROM.

So is there a nice list that allows a complete noob like me to find out which ROM could be my best or at least a good choice?
Maybe a list with descriptions or feature lists so that I can tell which ROM I like the most.
And of course it would be nice if the list would only contain or mark compatible ROMs.

I'm also looking for a list of compatible kernels.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Ferivon
While searching for roms/kernels, it's best to see in the development section of your forum. In your case, here it is :-
http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-v-development

Try to use a more recent rom as it is easy to get support for them if anything goes wrong.
** There are no shortcuts to any place worth going **

ferivon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks, but the problem with this link and also with this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1316394
is that I have to read the thread of every ROM/kernel to estimate if they fit my needs. :/
And there are soo many, it makes it really difficult for a noob like me. I mean I don't even know the differences between ICS and GB. :/

AbhiLP
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Thanks, but the problem with this link and also with this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1316394
is that I have to read the thread of every ROM/kernel to estimate if they fit my needs. :/
And there are soo many, it makes it really difficult for a noob like me. I mean I don't even know the differences between ICS and GB. :/
Sadly yes, that's the only way to choose a rom. Spend sometime reading the threads, see screenshots (Try to keep an eye on the buglist too !)

For your second question about choosing ICS or GB. I won't go much deeper, You just have to keep in mind that a newer android version means better user experience, compatibility with more apps and so on. Hope this helps you

In general, KK>JB>ICS>GB
** There are no shortcuts to any place worth going **

ferivon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
That's sad, well, thank you anyway.

pekacc
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
That's sad, well, thank you anyway.
i agree with you. I just need a rom that would be smooth for a lot of time. Most roms stuck after a month. I am looking for more that 5 months and I am still looking. I try the GB releases, they are quick but the applications crash all the time. Then I try ICS releases I find 3-4 really good releases but everyone of them had a different problem and after a month it was really slow. Now i am trying some KK releases. I try 3 releases. 2 of them was good at the begin. Only the one still works after 2 weeks. It got some bugs but it still works.

I will recommend you some releases to try.
Gingerbread: Gin2KitKat, Spacious GB
Ice Cream Sandwich: Spacions ICS, Superleggera, Ultimate HD
Kit Kit: ParanoidAndroid

This till now... You will find all of them here http://forum.xda-developers.com/xper...-v-development

XII KAITO
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Currently using Mike's CM11, before this I'm using Jelly Vanilla EX(that smooth Jellybean 4.2.2) and I settled on that rom for almost half years(nice for me)

And as usual, it's hard to recommend roms because everyone has different needs. If you wish to find a good-enough rom, try it by yourself and feel it :thumbup:

Sent from my MT11i using xda app-developers app

rjbaraiya
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If you want to go for jellybean (4.1.2) then I have been using Super JellyBean on my device since long... Its stable and battery friendly.
Moreover you may try other roms to suit your needs
You may find the thread regarding this on device's development section
Hope this helps