Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,078 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery tips and tricks [no root].

Tip us?

vPro97
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 344
Updated for 4.4.2 =) Enjoy!
Please hit the "Thanks" button if you found my post useful !

Optimise the battery life of your LG G2 without root!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vPro97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nexus_vl
Old
(Last edited by nexus_vl; 9th June 2014 at 09:24 AM.)
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Fast Dormancy and Force close Android system both work great for me and I definitly notice the diference, thanks!
LG MLT is not in the hidden menu, I see MLT Test and LG RCT but no LG MLT.
Although not really a battery tweak, more like less lag tweak, I noticed the cpu spending more time in lower frequenties: hidden menu -> High Temperature Property OFF -> turn ON
The Following User Says Thank You to nexus_vl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

davjan
Old
Thanks Meter 72

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus_vl View Post
Fast Dormancy and Force close Android system both work great for me and I definitly notice the diference, thanks!
LG MLT is not in the hidden menu, I see MLT Test and LG RCT but no LG MLT.
Although not really a battery tweak, more like less lag tweak, I noticed the cpu spending more time in lower frequenties: hidden menu -> High Temperature Property OFF -> turn ON
In MLT TEST you can turn MLT off

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davjan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nexus_vl
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by davjan View Post
In MLT TEST you can turn MLT off

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-D802 met Tapatalk
For some reason when trying to enter MLT TEST, hidden menu force closed.
Strange, all other settings do not have this problem.
Anyway, thanks!

vPro97
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 344
The High Temperature Property is widely known to reduce lags on some devices but nobody knows EXACTLY what it does, but here's an explanation:

We all know that thermal throttling of the CPU occurs when the CPU gets too hot. The CPU will then throttle down the frequency of its cores when they reach a certain temperature.

This is how I've understood it after reading many many thread on this topic.
1. LG has set the temperature threshold is lower than the threshold set by Qualcomm. LG's throttling is, in other words, more agressive than the default is. So by putting it OFF, the Temperature threshold is set to Qualcomms limit. What that means for the user is, that instead of CPU frequency throttling starting at 60 degrees Celsius it will then start at 70 or 75 degress.
This allows the CPU to run at max load for longer periods of time and allow it to run hotter - while there's no evidence that it will damage the chip, it's there for a reason and I wouldn't turn it off since I occasionally play demanding games.

Why it exactly reduces lag in the man UI is something I never figured out. After updating to 4.4.2 I never really noticed lags in the UI.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vPro97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nexus_vl
Old
Thanks Meter 67

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vPro97 View Post
The High Temperature Property is widely known to reduce lags on some devices but nobody knows EXACTLY what it does, but here's an explanation:

We all know that thermal throttling of the CPU occurs when the CPU gets too hot. The CPU will then throttle down the frequency of its cores when they reach a certain temperature.

This is how I've understood it after reading many many thread on this topic.
1. LG has set the temperature threshold is lower than the threshold set by Qualcomm. LG's throttling is, in other words, more agressive than the default is. So by putting it OFF, the Temperature threshold is set to Qualcomms limit. What that means for the user is, that instead of CPU frequency throttling starting at 60 degrees Celsius it will then start at 70 or 75 degress.
This allows the CPU to run at max load for longer periods of time and allow it to run hotter - while there's no evidence that it will damage the chip, it's there for a reason and I wouldn't turn it off since I occasionally play demanding games.

Why it exactly reduces lag in the man UI is something I never figured out. After updating to 4.4.2 I never really noticed lags in the UI.
LG's treshold seems to be around 70 before, Now it's around 73 , not much higher.
But it does seem to work, maybe LG's threshold controller itself is causing a slight lag.
The Following User Says Thank You to nexus_vl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vPro97
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus_vl View Post
LG's treshold seems to be around 70 before, Now it's around 73 , not much higher.
But it does seem to work, maybe LG's threshold controller itself is causing a slight lag.
That's possible. I don't know how many degress it adds but some people notice a difference, others don't. I didn't so I decided to leave it off Thanks for your input!

The Following User Says Thank You to vPro97 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vPro97
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 344
Battery life seems worse on KitKat compared to Jelly Bean. If we get 5.0 on our LG G2, I really hope that Project Volta can squeeze extra battery life out of our phones. Heck, I'd even run the power saving mode from 100%

robogo1982
Old
Thanks Meter 461
Because of battery life issues, I went back to 4.2.2 and modded it to look like KK.

I might just go back to KK, though, some small UI stuff is missing...
| LG G2 | D802 | CloudyG3 1.3 | 72 hrs on a single charge
| Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 | custom ROM | [sold]
| Sony Xperia Z | stock | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 | custom ROM | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | stock | [sold]
| Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 | custom ROM | [sold]
| HTC Desire | stock | [sold]
| HTC Hero | stock | [sold]
:: i'm a lazy mug who doesn't update his signature that often ::

vPro97
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 344
I'm thinking to root and flash cloudyflex or cloudyg3 they seem to bring an insane battery life

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app