Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 51,559 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I'm now a happy owner of T-Mobile S5..Coming from AT&T

Tip us?

Christopher3712
Old
Thanks Meter 139

DONATE TO ME
I got lucky and found a guy on craigslist that had an extra T-Mo S5 that he wanted to trade for an AT&T version (for work). He wasn't aware that he could just unlock his phone and I surely didn't tell him. I got a brand new in the box S5 that I happily rooted and modified like crazy and he got my 1 month old G900A. It was the best trade I ever made. Luckily, I didn't have to go through the provisioning that you did (since my SIM was already provisioned for LTE). I didn't realize exactly how much I missed root until I got it back. It's great to be able to do whatever you want. I'm happy for you.
SM-G900T (16GB) on AT&T + 64GB SanDisk SDXC
The Following User Says Thank You to Christopher3712 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrispyutec
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher3712 View Post
I got lucky and found a guy on craigslist that had an extra T-Mo S5 that he wanted to trade for an AT&T version (for work). He wasn't aware that he could just unlock his phone and I surely didn't tell him. I got a brand new in the box S5 that I happily rooted and modified like crazy and he got my 1 month old G900A. It was the best trade I ever made. Luckily, I didn't have to go through the provisioning that you did (since my SIM was already provisioned for LTE). I didn't realize exactly how much I missed root until I got it back. It's great to be able to do whatever you want. I'm happy for you.
That's an awesome trade in imo. I bet you are now a happy camper like I am. Yeah it sucks to be locked down. Happy flashing and tweaking to ya. See ya later AT&T while we go do what WE want to OUR phones that WE paid for!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Current Phones: Note 3, S4, AT&T S5, TMO S5, & LG G2 . Yes, I'm a phone junkie because I switch between all of my phones and never let them totally die.

Phones sitting on standby in a drawer: iCrap5, iCrap4, Note 1, SGS2, HTC Vivid, Note 2, S3, LG G Pro

My one and only tablet....The awesome Galaxy note 10.1

ozziedog
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispyutec View Post
You do have to get if provisioned. I took my TMO into the store to get a SIMS and they scanned my phone IMEI and blocked LTE......no matter what APN I used. Had to call in and give them a different IMEI and my SIMS number. After that all is good. If I wasn't coming from the M8 which has a nano SIM, I could have just swapped SIMS and been good to go.

Hope that makes since.
I'm also on AT&T and have S5 on order from BestBuy I'm coming from S4. The Samsung Rep at BestBuy told me all I had to do was unlock the sim and then use my present AT&T sim and all would be good since I already have LTE for S4. We shall see when it gets here. I hope AT&T doesn't block LTE but I wouldn't put anything past the swines

chrispyutec
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziedog View Post
I'm also on AT&T and have S5 on order from BestBuy I'm coming from S4. The Samsung Rep at BestBuy told me all I had to do was unlock the sim and then use my present AT&T sim and all would be good since I already have LTE for S4. We shall see when it gets here. I hope AT&T doesn't block LTE but I wouldn't put anything past the swines
You will be fine just swapping your SIM out being that the S5 will be the same size as the S4 SIM. What created my problem was that I was coming from the HTC One M8 which has the nano SIM. I had to go into the store and get a SIM for my S5 because obviously the M8 wouldn't fit in the S5 and when the AT&T person scanned my bar code on the inside of my s5 it came up as T-Mobile hardware.

With a few tricks over a few phone calls I got it squared away.....Long story short, you will be fine. And welcome to the wonderful world of the S5!!!

Current Phones: Note 3, S4, AT&T S5, TMO S5, & LG G2 . Yes, I'm a phone junkie because I switch between all of my phones and never let them totally die.

Phones sitting on standby in a drawer: iCrap5, iCrap4, Note 1, SGS2, HTC Vivid, Note 2, S3, LG G Pro

The Following User Says Thank You to chrispyutec For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
You will be fine just swapping your SIM out being that the S5 will be the same size as the S4 SIM. What created my problem was that I was coming from the HTC One M8 which has the nano SIM. I had to go into the store and get a SIM for my S5 because obviously the M8 wouldn't fit in the S5 and when the AT&T person scanned my bar code on the inside of my s5 it came up as T-Mobile hardware.

With a few tricks over a few phone calls I got it squared away.....Long story short, you will be fine. And welcome to the wonderful world of the S5!!!
Stupid question but does the phone still need to be sim unlocked prior to putting the AT&T sim in the phone?

chrispyutec
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
Stupid question but does the phone still need to be sim unlocked prior to putting the AT&T sim in the phone?
Not if the phone you bought was at&t branded. I had to Sim unlocked my t-mobile because i use at&t network.

The Following User Says Thank You to chrispyutec For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jdk2
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Quote:
Not if the phone you bought was at&t branded. I had to Sim unlocked my t-mobile because i use at&t network.
Thanks. That's what I'm getting as well so I'll need to unlock it.

chrispyutec
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
Thanks. That's what I'm getting as well so I'll need to unlock it.
I ised cell unlocker for mine. I've used them many time with success.

rfb813
Old
Thanks Meter 522
Quote:

You can buy an adaptor for an nano sim to work in a micro sim phone. When I was in Switzerland I went to get a local sim card for my S4. All the sim card they had at the time were nano sims so they just gave me a nano sim with adaptor and I installed it. Worked perfectly. Go to Best Buy or another electronics store they should have it.