[GUIDE] Making The Jump From Jelly Bean to KitKat On The AT&T Note 3!

Search This thread

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
my question was should I updade to kitkat using the method described in this thread or should I just go to BestBuy and have them flash it.
I was curious what are the differences if any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shane1981

Mar 11, 2014
millington
I do have a question for yall that im not so sure of after reading all the kitkat rom threads . Can i flash any kitkat rom i want to and if not what are the limitations?

Last edited:

sonicthoughts

Dec 5, 2006
This method or Towelroot

Seems that there are now (at least) 2 paths to root. I have JB Stock root. Alternative is unroot and use towelroot. Any trade-offs with either approach? Latter seems simplest.

Reactions: SilverStone641

SilverStone641

Jul 1, 2009
Dallas
Hello. I'm looking forward to giving your guide a shot. I was looking for just this sort of thing to get me off JB. Question though. I don't see a lot of comments or questions about backing up and restoring apps into KK. Is this step not needed?? I assumed with talk of factory resets and wipes I would lose everything. If I backup with Titanium on JB, can I restore those onto KK or will that give me issues? What is the recomended course of action?

D

Deleted member 2488575

Is it possible to go back to JB if we used this method?

shane1981

Mar 11, 2014
millington
Hello. I'm looking forward to giving your guide a shot. I was looking for just this sort of thing to get me off JB. Question though. I don't see a lot of comments or questions about backing up and restoring apps into KK. Is this step not needed?? I assumed with talk of factory resets and wipes I would lose everything. If I backup with Titanium on JB, can I restore those onto KK or will that give me issues? What is the recomended course of action?

I would just go to the play store into my apps and install the apps you had and delete the jb backup on titanium so you dont get confused . The user apps should be fine but if you restore system apps you might /will have problems. I would just start over as if it was a new phone but make sure pics and music and things like that are saved on your sd card so you dont lose them

Sent from my SM-N900A

Reactions: SilverStone641

posersk8r

Feb 21, 2014
So, I guess OTA updates A2 to A3..

And the downside of A3 - can't go back to JB? Anything else?
Yeah thats pretty much it, no going back to jb, oh yeah no restore to mj5. That restore is the most significant to me, im not scared of flashing and messing with my phone as i can always go back.

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah thats pretty much it, no going back to jb, oh yeah no restore to mj5. That restore is the most significant to me, im not scared of flashing and messing with my phone as i can always go back.
what's the difference in mj5 and nc2?
I'm trying to figure out why people would not install KitKat over the air. Thanks

posersk8r

Feb 21, 2014
what's the difference in mj5 and nc2?
I'm trying to figure out why people would not install KitKat over the air. Thanks
The difference is the roms available. I can flash any rom i want available here except the ones build on official at&t nc2 firmware which require the new bootloader. A big difference but that is for me.

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
The difference is the roms available. I can flash any rom i want available here except the ones build on official at&t nc2 firmware which require the new bootloader. A big difference but that is for me.
I am new to all this that's why the questions.

so currently they're more roms built for mj5 than for nc2

do these custom ROMs support all hardware components like stylus, camera etc?

are they all based on TouchWiz and if so what's the difference?
are they stable?
I understand they don't have all the bloatware but what's the difference between them and stock rom with bloatware removed? is there a table with feature comparisons between different rooms ?

Thanks

Reactions: solarbuddy

posersk8r

Feb 21, 2014
I am new to all this that's why the questions.

so currently they're more roms built for mj5 than for nc2

do these custom ROMs support all hardware components like stylus, camera etc?

are they all based on TouchWiz and if so what's the difference?
are they stable?
I understand they don't have all the bloatware but what's the difference between them and stock rom with bloatware removed? is there a table with feature comparisons between different rooms ?

Thanks
Try them first. Its different per user. They stable for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Upgrading from Jelly Bean to KitKat is easy!

Disclaimer
    As always, this carries a certain amount of risk so by using the guide below you agree not to hold me liable if your device turns into a very expensive paperweight (not at all likely but you have been warned! :) )

Prerequisites
    • Windows computer
    • You must be on a 4.3.X Jelly Bean (rooted stock or custom ROM)
    • You must have Safestrap installed
    • UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip (Odexed or Deodexed) by @carl1961 (everyone go hit his Thanks button!)
    • ODIN.zip (download in second post)
    First Steps
    • Download ODIN.zip & extract the .zip to your desktop.
    • Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat ROM.zip to your internal SD Card by following the download links in the ROM’s original thread (found here).
    • Once downloaded, boot into Safestrap.
    • *IMPORTANT* Make sure you have deleted any extra ROM Slots you have created and that you have your STOCK slot activated!
    • In Safestrap main menu, click on the WIPE button and go ahead and “factory reset” your device (wipe data + cache) like you always do before flashing a ROM.
    • Once you have wiped data, navigate back to the INSTALL button in SafeStrap.
    • Navigate to the UrDroid ROM.zip that you saved to your SD Card and proceed to flash the ROM to your stock slot.
    • Once the ROM has successfully flashed - navigate back to Safestrap menu & choose REBOOT & then DOWNLOAD.
    • Your phone will reboot into Download Mode.
    • Now, open the file located inside of ODIN.zip labeled “Odin & needed files are here” on your desktop.
    • Click on and run Odin3 v3.09.exe.
    • On the right hand side of Odin you will see different buttons labeled PIT, BL, AP, CP.
    • Click on the PIT button and select HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit. Now select BL and choose BL_N900AUCECMGL.tar. Now continue to match AP with the AP file and CP with the CP file.
    • Once all 4 files have been inputted into Odin plug in your phone and click START.
    • Let Odin finish its magic then reboot your device.
    • Welcome to KitKat!!!

Next Steps
    • Now that you are on KK you need to sideload Safestrap v3.72.apk and install it to your device.
    • Once you’ve installed it go ahead and open it up and INSTALL Safestrap.
    • Once you have Safestrap installed it is important to note that you cannot mix Jelly Bean & KitKat ROMs with Safestrap….you must stick to KitKat based ROMs (it is possible this will change in the future...if it does I will update this post!)
    • Now that you are running rooted stock KitKat w/Safestrap feel free to flash whatever Custom ROM you'd like to try out!

Credits
    @carl1961 - thank you for everything you do for the community!
    Downloads

Download UrDroid Stock Rooted KitKat.zip
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2584994

Download ODIN.zip (includes all needed files + instructions)
    http://goo.gl/GdJonL

*If you download please consider hitting the thanks button!
    Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:

[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot).
    [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
    OP updated to reflect this!!! Thanks for your help!
    Thank you for your guide.

The following steps are not necessary:

[*]Once the ROM has successfully flashed, pull the battery out of the phone & put it back in (do not reboot).
    [*]Once your battery is reinserted press and hold VOL Down & Power to boot into Download Mode.

Safestrap directly provides: Reboot --> Download.
    Sorry for the ignorance, but will this method keep my user data and root?