Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 40,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] G900S outside Korea

Tip us?
 
Mario N
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: May 2014
Default [Q] G900S outside Korea

Hi,
i bought an unlocked galaxy S5 SM-G900S (SK telecom), 32 Gb..
It's a wonderful phone but it seems that it is half locked:
cannot update OTA if no korean sim card is in the phone.
my phone always thinks that it's roaming.. i always have 2 clocks (home and local).
in the call settings, there is no call forward or divert.
no way to make a 3 way call (conference call) as the "merge" button isn't there. I can only swap calls.

i can live with everything mentioned above except the conference call lacking; it is very very important to my work.
i tried to flash the international firmware G900F but it kept failing; when i flashed the G900S firmware it went very smoothly.

my question:
anyone else with this problem? any developer has any idea about what should be done.

what bothers me i may need to sell the only 32gb version available (as far as i know) just for one setting.

Appreciate any reply or help;

Regards,
 
keshey
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 23
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Not really

 
DONATE TO ME
Default Ditto

I don't have a solution. I share the same concern as mentioned by you. Wondering if you found a solution!!?
Sony Ericsson T100> Motorola C550> Sony Ericsson W550!> Sony Ericsson G900> Motorola Milestone> LG Optimus 2x > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy S5
 
BuntyRulz
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Default Firmware Upgrade Available

Same error - but now there is a firmware upgrade. Lets see what happens.
 
BuntyRulz
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Unhappy Still not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntyRulz View Post
Same error - but now there is a firmware upgrade. Lets see what happens.
Just checked it out with the new firmware... appreciable performance improvement, however no conference ability as of yet. I tried to flash some custom roms, however the recovery image is just not getting uploaded.

So still stuck with everything as it was before..
 
BuntyRulz
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Thumbs up Obtained Clockwork Mod - Merge obtained

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntyRulz View Post
Just checked it out with the new firmware... appreciable performance improvement, however no conference ability as of yet. I tried to flash some custom roms, however the recovery image is just not getting uploaded.

So still stuck with everything as it was before..
Update - Just got the clockwork update for this model :

Download from here, choose the right blue button to download.
http://pan.baidu.com/wap/album/file?...98522244643130

After you download the clockwork mod - do the following :
(1) Download the XtreStoLite v.1.1.3 ROM
- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2732110

(2) Ensure that you have the ROM on an external sd card and that you have put that inside your device
(3) Install the clockwork recovery via Odin 3.7 version
(4) Power down after above step
(5) Press the Volume UP + HOME + Power button to start in the recovery mode
(6) Wipe the data clean
(7) Install the ROM from the SD card - this will be interactive and self explanatory ( choose the 900L model )
(8) Restart and everything will be in the format you want... AND OF COURSE MERGE IS BACK

Thanks & Regards,
BuntyRulz
(Would have posted this in the developers page, but not enough points )
The Following User Says Thank You to BuntyRulz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
hellboy13
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 46
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntyRulz View Post
Update - Just got the clockwork update for this model :

Download from here, choose the right blue button to download.
http://pan.baidu.com/wap/album/file?...98522244643130

After you download the clockwork mod - do the following :
(1) Download the XtreStoLite v.1.1.3 ROM
- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2732110

(2) Ensure that you have the ROM on an external sd card and that you have put that inside your device
(3) Install the clockwork recovery via Odin 3.7 version
(4) Power down after above step
(5) Press the Volume UP + HOME + Power button to start in the recovery mode
(6) Wipe the data clean
(7) Install the ROM from the SD card - this will be interactive and self explanatory ( choose the 900L model )
(8) Restart and everything will be in the format you want... AND OF COURSE MERGE IS BACK

Thanks & Regards,
BuntyRulz
(Would have posted this in the developers page, but not enough points )


I plan to buy this in India. Would the phone still show in roaming? After flashing the custom firmware ?
 
BuntyRulz
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 10
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: mumbai
Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy13 View Post
I plan to buy this in India. Would the phone still show in roaming? After flashing the custom firmware ?
After flashing the ROM everything comes back to normal. I had a Vodafone connection(this is showing up and not the HTMPL or some weird connection) and everything is working fine including the 3G and Roaming. The roaming problem was occurring only with the Korean firmware. After applying the ROM, your model will show as 900L and not 900S. The L model basically works like any normal phone in India.

Faced only two problems so far :
(1) Kies does not sync. So ensure that you have an application like Superbackup for your contacts and what-not.
(2) The OK-google now talk functionality on the home screen goes away. You can get this back by installing the google launcher, but I like the touchwiz UI a bit better, so decided to do away with it.

Rest everything is good and the speed has also increased.

PS - Considering you are getting a 30 % discount on the korean phone based on the indian price(I took it a month back at 22 % Dis.), its totally worth it. You might spend a day cracking the phone, but then 30% savings is more than enough to make up for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BuntyRulz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
dollardollar
Old
(Last edited by dollardollar; 10th June 2014 at 05:53 PM.) Reason: Question added
#8  
dollardollar's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 140
Join Date: Apr 2007
Hai Bunty, Just one question.

After installing L rom, have you tried installing any other L roms or KLTE roms like Slim Rom or AOKP or Carbon rom

I'm getting my S model phone next week and never wanted to end up having only few roms.

Sorry one more,

Has the conference and call forward or divert issue sorted after installing custom rom
 
hellboy13
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 46
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntyRulz View Post
After flashing the ROM everything comes back to normal. I had a Vodafone connection(this is showing up and not the HTMPL or some weird connection) and everything is working fine including the 3G and Roaming. The roaming problem was occurring only with the Korean firmware. After applying the ROM, your model will show as 900L and not 900S. The L model basically works like any normal phone in India.

Faced only two problems so far :
(1) Kies does not sync. So ensure that you have an application like Superbackup for your contacts and what-not.
(2) The OK-google now talk functionality on the home screen goes away. You can get this back by installing the google launcher, but I like the touchwiz UI a bit better, so decided to do away with it.

Rest everything is good and the speed has also increased.

PS - Considering you are getting a 30 % discount on the korean phone based on the indian price(I took it a month back at 22 % Dis.), its totally worth it. You might spend a day cracking the phone, but then 30% savings is more than enough to make up for it.
Well thanks for the info. Get it for 37k. Now am sure to get this.
 
aamir2day
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 218
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mumbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuntyRulz View Post
After flashing the ROM everything comes back to normal. I had a Vodafone connection(this is showing up and not the HTMPL or some weird connection) and everything is working fine including the 3G and Roaming. The roaming problem was occurring only with the Korean firmware. After applying the ROM, your model will show as 900L and not 900S. The L model basically works like any normal phone in India.

Faced only two problems so far :
(1) Kies does not sync. So ensure that you have an application like Superbackup for your contacts and what-not.
(2) The OK-google now talk functionality on the home screen goes away. You can get this back by installing the google launcher, but I like the touchwiz UI a bit better, so decided to do away with it.

Rest everything is good and the speed has also increased.

PS - Considering you are getting a 30 % discount on the korean phone based on the indian price(I took it a month back at 22 % Dis.), its totally worth it. You might spend a day cracking the phone, but then 30% savings is more than enough to make up for it.
check pm

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...