Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 45,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

One screen issue, trying to fix...

Tip us?

bacon165
Old
(Last edited by bacon165; 24th June 2014 at 03:39 PM.) Reason: add picture wrongly
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question One screen issue, trying to fix...

hey guys

well about 7 days ago, after leaving my htc on charge i came back to a buggy lock screen(digitizer) issue! screen seemed like it didn't want to respond

was gutted, after work i decided to twrp recover my system, change kernel etc still didnt work :/ then downloaded a drawing app. to find that a vertical middle section of the screen wasn't responding as my phone is now out of warranty! it was either to ebay to sell it as faulty or to ebay to source parts lol. so i started hunting around and found this can be a common problem, the ribbon cable for the digitzer(which is located near the head phone port on the pcb can come loose! so next step meant only one thing DISASSEMBLE (gulp)

found this handy tutorial on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90og2HFQUHU (sorry if its been linked before)

so with a window sucker and a guitar pick i slowing persuaded the back off the device(its fiddly but not too much of a nightmare!

i located all the screws and after fighting the copper heat shielding its now in parts

my issues now though, which if anyone can guide me would be awesome

firstly, i am in the uk(european model) i am unsure what screen i need, is it s sharp or a sony?

secondly there are 2 antenna adhesive tabs located on the reverse on the screen housing, one i assume is for wifi, other is gsm etc

the antenna tab is near the capacitive buttons, this is slightly damaged! my question, it looks like it has antenna tracks(can i replace with an adhesive without tracks?

i have add some picture(sorry if my terminology is wrong guy)

button ribbon cable

lcd back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0568.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	2815159   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0569.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	2815160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0570.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	2815162  

bacon165
Old
(Last edited by bacon165; 26th June 2014 at 02:43 PM.) Reason: grammer lol
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
hey guys, quick update i ordered the SHARP lcd last night, will attempt to repair it in the next few days

ebay link below(frame and LCD) UK seller: seems a reasonable price at 31.30, worth the gamble i think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291107539349&ssPageNam e=ADME:LC:GB:3160

anyone have any advice about the antenna adhesive issue?

bacon165
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
hey guys, quick update screen turned up this morning, will attempt to fit tonight(excited and apprehensive to).

anyway i have purchased some adhesive conductive tape to repair the antenna areas(picture above with arrows). i believe the tape is thin enough to fit correctly, will cut down to match the size needed for gsm antenna and wifi antenna. but it will need folding correctly to allow the ribbons cable to contact correctly.....

i have also purchased some double sided tape to allow me to secure the battery and rear housing. also may use it to hold the volume rocker and power button in place on the chassis

so its fingers and toes crossed lol and a hair dyer at the ready lol

will keep you all updated

bacon165
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
new screen fitted all seems good antennas signal is good phew

took about 2 hours all in all....

few tips beware of the power button it will only fit one way!
masking tap to hold the volume rocker and power in place defiantly will make your life easier

few things to note, the ribbon cable connectors on the logic board(s) are very very fiddly to position and lock into place! just take a few minutes on each(make sure its aligned to)
the hot key buttons need to be exactly lined up, there are two dots/guides on the frame(easy to miss), keep all contracts clean from finger grease to.....
i also checked all the contact springing(not sure if that's there tech name lol) i positioned them so they would contact correctly on the back cover when refitted(these are for wifi/gps/nfc). then moving onto removing any old adhesive from the battery and back cover(make note of where the adhesive is along with size, space is tight, fitting new adhesive over old would be too crammed. only fit new adhesive where the old was located now the two halves of the phone need to be fitted back together, this was very straight forward and it clicked into place without any issues then using a hair dyer to get the unit warm, just to allow the adhesive to mold inside

(******have to admit i didn't pre-test the screen, bit of a newbie error******) lucky for me it powered on, no dead pixels

i have ran the following sequence: *#*#3424#*#* in the phones dial-er to test everything(from the screen/WiFi/blue-tooth/sensors etc) just so i could check that its been rebuilt correctly after this i installed CPU z and stability test v2.7(which stresses CPU and GPU under-load) i did this to test temperatures! unit ran for 30 minutes very warm, no problems, allowed it to cool to the touch.

phone looks like new and is currently running perfect i will update this thread if i find any issues

but for anyone wanting to try a screen/digitizer repair its defiantly worth the time and the gamble