Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] GPS Sporadic after 4.3 update

Tip us?

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I was getting GPS issues for quite some time, until I tightened the screws at the back of my case. It was supposed to be a fix for the S3 but it worked fine on my S4 as well.

Hope this helps

TransformixS4
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenzterra View Post
I was getting GPS issues for quite some time, until I tightened the screws at the back of my case. It was supposed to be a fix for the S3 but it worked fine on my S4 as well.

Hope this helps
On your S4 Active? I'll try. Thanks!
Galaxy Note 3 and 4.4 KitKat Thread

trenzterra
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransformixS4 View Post
On your S4 Active? I'll try. Thanks!
Mine was a normal S4 but I guess it might be the same on the S4 Active as well

ChristopherXDA
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trenzterra View Post
Mine was a normal S4 but I guess it might be the same on the S4 Active as well
I've tried tightening up the screws a bit, which they did, but still no GPS for me. Going to do a backup and another full wipe and restore.
Device: Iphone 4S --> AT&T HTC One -> Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Case: Cima S Line.
Rom: Trickdroid or ARHD on HTC.

zackinma
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default AT&T fixed my phone

I too had the GPS signal lost issue after the 4.3 update on my S4 active on AT&T. I called AT&T yesterday and they advised me they were aware of the issue. Their instruction was to take my phone to Best Buy where they have a "Samsung Solutions / Experience" dept / kiosk. So I did. They flashed my phone to 4.4.2. I am happy to report that all GPS problems are resolved. I drove for over an hour using Google Maps this AM with no problem at all.

GPS is a big deal for me too. I drive in a lot of unfamiliar towns. I'm also a sportsman and spend a lot of time in unfamiliar woods. I rely on my phone to allow me to retrace my steps back if need be. I also use it to set waypoints and mark areas for possible future hunts. The woods look a lot different at night then during the day. So I rely on the phone to help navigate off the beaten trail and get to my tree stand. GPS failures are not an option. Pure and simple. I can get out of the woods with a compass - but I may not find my tree stand in the dark without my phone.

I don't know about rooting this ROM, etc as I don't have need to root my phones. But it did fix the GPS issue and the phone seems a little faster with battery battery life too. YMMV.

AtrixInFL
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for your post! Did you l lose any data with the update to 4.4.2?

I have the same exact problem with my S4 active, definitely a software issue. For a while I used the airplane mode work-around which was great, until a recent update to Google Maps causes maps to crash when airplane mode is on, so now I'm back to having no navigation. I'm frustrated that AT&T has dragged their feet on getting an update out to the public. They must have zero QA to let a bug this obvious get into the public. I wonder when they'll push 4.4.2 out as a regular update?

zackinma
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrixInFL View Post
Thanks for your post! Did you l lose any data with the update to 4.4.2?

I have the same exact problem with my S4 active, definitely a software issue. For a while I used the airplane mode work-around which was great, until a recent update to Google Maps causes maps to crash when airplane mode is on, so now I'm back to having no navigation. I'm frustrated that AT&T has dragged their feet on getting an update out to the public. They must have zero QA to let a bug this obvious get into the public. I wonder when they'll push 4.4.2 out as a regular update?
No I did not lose any data or apps. I have no complaints. Phone is working great. I'll never accept another update OTA though - I don't care if I have to root to avoid them.

bednorem
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I got the 4.4.2 over the air update, and it fixed my GPS problems. No new problems.