Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 49,063 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Confused about upgrading

Tip us?
 
gigamage
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default [Q] Confused about upgrading

So my nexus 5s screen stopped working, and i took my one s out of the drawer. Its been like 2 years since i flashed a rom on this phone. (on 4.1 Viper) I dont remember seeing any of these RUU things. So how exactly do i upgrade my phone. Do i just downloaded the rom and flash it, and flash the boot.img like before or is there a new procedure?
 
808phone
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 404
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamage View Post
So my nexus 5s screen stopped working, and i took my one s out of the drawer. Its been like 2 years since i flashed a rom on this phone. (on 4.1 Viper) I dont remember seeing any of these RUU things. So how exactly do i upgrade my phone. Do i just downloaded the rom and flash it, and flash the boot.img like before or is there a new procedure?
It's the same. The RUU is to bring it back to stock.
Device: HTC One S
ROM: CandyKat - Best so far!
Kernel: Pure CandyKat
The Following User Says Thank You to 808phone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
gigamage
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808phone View Post
It's the same. The RUU is to bring it back to stock.
No need to s-off?
 
808phone
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 404
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamage View Post
No need to s-off?
It's the same. Flash boot.img if not s-off or get s-off and just flash the ROM.
Device: HTC One S
ROM: CandyKat - Best so far!
Kernel: Pure CandyKat
 
gigamage
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808phone View Post
It's the same. Flash boot.img if not s-off or get s-off and just flash the ROM.
What about h-boots are those required to be updated?
 
808phone
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 404
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamage View Post
What about h-boots are those required to be updated?
What HBOOT do you have now? Check in the boot loader (restart then power+vol down)
Device: HTC One S
ROM: CandyKat - Best so far!
Kernel: Pure CandyKat
 
gigamage
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 33
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808phone View Post
What HBOOT do you have now? Check in the boot loader (restart then power+vol down)
1.13.0000
 
808phone
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 48
Posts: 404
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamage View Post
1.13.0000
OK I see. If I were you I would use an RUU to update to a later version of software that has HBOOT 2.15.
Actually this is what I would do:

1: Run the correct RUU for your phone from one that moonshine.io supports:
http://moonshine.io/moonshine-downloads/
2: IF you want, then run moonshine.io to get S-OFF.
3: Flash a custom recovery like TWRP
4: Install ROM.

If you don't get S-OFF, then you need to flash boot.img.

If anyone disagrees with this, please chime in please.
Device: HTC One S
ROM: CandyKat - Best so far!
Kernel: Pure CandyKat

The Following User Says Thank You to 808phone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more