LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z2 Camera

Search This thread

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
Camera is a real let down and too hard to live with on my g3. Audio capture is really unnatural and just weird in video 1080. Almost any moving shot I take comes out blurred and with no manual settings you can't improve this :( after 4 days the store won't let me return it so sold it on eBay. Purchased a New z2 again from a site listed in the z2 General forum for £419 ? which is a nice saving. Almost Everything else about this phone is great but camera is key for me and hoping the New z2 won't overheat!

Sent from my LG-D855 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I heard the newer batches don't have any overheating problems, hopefully you get one of those this time

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
Reactions: PaulVulcan

Slash8915

Dec 9, 2009
Texas
It's the older IMX135 1/3.06” sensor as found in last years G2.
The imx214 is found on the One Plus One

Why LG put this older Sony Exmor sensor into their latest G3 is a little confusing but shortage of the imx214 is believed to be the case.

Hmm... Then I wonder if they'll change the sensor out in later models. I mean, phone makers have changed entire panels on later versions of their devices.

ipmanwck

It's the older IMX135 1/3.06” sensor as found in last years G2.
The imx214 is found on the One Plus One

Why LG put this older Sony Exmor sensor into their latest G3 is a little confusing but shortage of the imx214 is believed to be the case.

I am not surprised. LG once again claims the camera is great blah blah blah massive sales pitch and as always nothing changes. This has been the case in every single LG phone ever as I have now accepted.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Dan1909

Oct 15, 2010
Lol , this thread. I have a professional camera if I want good pictures.

Oh no, people might want the device they spend money on to perform well at what it does!?

Nobody here is saying that they want the phone to take SLR quality pictures, but for a lot of us the quality of the camera (in relation to other phone cameras) is very important. I take a lot of photos with my phone just in general day to day life, so I want to make sure that they are of a good quality.

Do you suggest I carry my SLR around with me 24/7? No, that would be ridiculous.

Lostatsea23

Apr 13, 2014
Oh no, people might want the device they spend money on to perform well at what it does!?

Nobody here is saying that they want the phone to take SLR quality pictures, but for a lot of us the quality of the camera (in relation to other phone cameras) is very important. I take a lot of photos with my phone just in general day to day life, so I want to make sure that they are of a good quality.

Do you suggest I carry my SLR around with me 24/7? No, that would be ridiculous.
The cameras on these phones are good. This isn't the m8 lol. That's what I'm trying to say

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
I often take my DSLR on holiday and nearly everytime I end up just using my phone as it's more convenient. And these days, bar the need for a zoom or really dark shots, the photos you get look awesome.

Billy Madison

Dec 31, 2011
I am not surprised. LG once again claims the camera is great blah blah blah massive sales pitch and as always nothing changes. This has been the case in every single LG phone ever as I have now accepted.

So dumb. Pictures of G3 are far better than Z2 is capable

I believe it's gonna soon on IFA present some sort of G Pro 3 with 805 SD AND IMX214 sensor. Because G3 cannot compete with Note 4 by mere specwise. Note 4 gonna get SD805 and 16Mp + OIS module which will blow G3 camera out the water

andyukking

Oct 14, 2013
So dumb. Pictures of G3 are far better than Z2 is capable

I believe it's gonna soon on IFA present some sort of G Pro 3 with 805 SD AND IMX214 sensor. Because G3 cannot compete with Note 4 by mere specwise. Note 4 gonna get SD805 and 16Mp + OIS module which will blow G3 camera out the water

How does that make any sense? The g3 uses the exact same Sony sensor found in the original z, s4, g2 etc. Sony wouldn't have bothered designing their upgraded sensor in the z1 and z2 if their own older hardware was better. The s5 and z2 camera tradeblows, the g3 sensor is more comparable to last year's hardware since that is the technology it uses.

GoyoNeuff

Jan 4, 2012

flintston314

Nov 3, 2012
Coming from the iPhone 5 (last iPhone I used) I was hugely disappointed concerning camera quality with android phones. I had an Xperia Z, Z1 and Nexus 5 (not counting the Droid 4 and Photon Q...those were no real cameras) and every single of them had terrible camera quality.
Of all those the Nexus 5 probably had the best....if, and thats a huge IF, the frikkin camera managed to get a focused shot.
I have 2 DSLR and a Sony NEX7, so most of the time I use those, but I was looking for a decent phone Camera for convenience reasons,
The iPhone 5 had a great camera, then a Nexus 5 and Z1, then the Z (terrible camera). Out ouf 10 pictures, the iphone made 5-6 in focus (those quick shots on the kids you konw), the Nexus 5 probaby 2-3, the Z1 about 5 and the Z with a lot of luck 3-4.

The LG G3 is a decent phone (although not great, I still think of the Sony line to offer the best "Operating System" (launcher etc. is awesome on Sony devices), but the Camera on the G3 is GALACTIC!
Not so much for the quality of the picture itself (its good but I saw better on the iPhone 5 or 5s) but for the speed. For those little snapshots of kids playing (and you know, kids won´t hold still for a second) this is by FAR the best camera. Out of 10 pictures i manage to have 9-10 in focus....I now rarely have to delete any photo because its out of focus. So I would say that the laser focus really makes a huge difference.
Usually the G3 takes the photo the second I press, this is amazing!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am interested in both these phones and am having trouble deciding due to the various camera reviews.

I am specifically interested in how each camera handles moving objects like kids or pets running as this is what I take most pics of.

Please post any samples here. Thanks kindly.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I didn't have the Z2, but I had the Z1 and it was by far the worst camera I had used on any phone. All the pics had a huge amount of noise and tended to look painted. When the Kit Kat update came and there was no improvement I moved on from the Z1. Seeing as the Z1 and Z2 have the same camera I imagine it's the same situation with the Z2.

The G3 camera is at the opposite end of the spectrum and delivers the best still shots I have seen on a phone, certainly comparable to a dedicated camera. Absolutely no regrets moving on from the Z1 or M8 to this phone.
    z2 camera

I have to say I have a z2 and it is by far the BEST camera I have ever used in a smart phone. -MOD EDIT- and no swearing please.It has been rated the best camera on the market over the I phone. And where the person said the pictures looked painted it's because the pictures are really that clear. They are so crystal clear that they don't look real. I had an s4 which was a 13 mp camera which was very good but this z2 in auto mode which is only 8mp and it takes beautiful pictures. And yes the comparison where it won was compared in 8mp mode so the playing field was even. You can shoot in 15.5 and 20.7 mp modes and it shoots amazing motion pictures. I take lots of pictures of my dogs playing and running and jumping and there is no noise and blows away the htc one m8 and the galaxy s5.I don't think the g3 could possibly take better pictures. I haven't used one because it's not available but trust me sony makes absolutely amazing phone cameras. They probably made the ones on the g3 and s5.but the z2s is a higher megapixel. And it's on a Sony product.
    Here's my first batch of photos and some 4K video of the LG G3 vs other flagships (Z2, GS5 and for some - the One M8).

http://jmcomms.com/2014/06/25/lg-g3...sung-galaxy-s5-sony-xperia-z2-and-htc-one-m8/

I intend to do more tests, with moving objects, low-light, in the dark (with flash) and so on. All the photos can be downloaded for closer scrutiny.
    I think you will like the auto mode on the G3. Especially using touch to focus which is what I found gave the better results. Where the G3 is able to use the laser to help focus I thought the shots were excellent. Even in unnatural light , or semi low light.

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Nice display of the photos. Out of interest did you use the night mode on the S5 (picture stab) with a tripod. I found good results in terms of definition.

The biggest handicap here though is 'Me'!
    I've been shooting photos for well over 50 years now and if there is one area I do not like on any camera or phone, well that would be Auto mode.
    And before someone pipes back "it's only a Smartphone and not a dedicated digital camera", I'll say ~ You don't need an expensive digital camera to take a good shot (although obviously it's sensor and lens does help). No, what makes a good shot is the person behind the camera and their 'creativity'. You can only be truly creative when you take the camera out of Auto and apply your own Manual settings. Basically you are making the camera do something it does not want to do but at the expense of creating something different and special, even with a Smartphone.