Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,007 Members 40,820 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Fake Wifi connection when on Ethernet

Tip us?

Spelvin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Fake Wifi connection when on Ethernet

Howdy folks, I am looking to find out if there is a way to have Wifi show as active and the primary network connection when the FireTV is actually connected via Ethernet. Many apps, specifically streaming apps, require a wifi connection and will not run without it. I prefer to run my FireTV via Ethernet due to the environment mine is in.

This type of hack or workaround would also be useful for the Ouya and any other android device that has an Ethernet port.

To sum up, I am looking for a hack or workaround that will present the Ethernet connection as Wifi to the OS or applications.

I found this document, and page 30 reference what I am looking to do:
http://www.elinux.org/images/9/98/Di...nnectivity.pdf

Thoughts?
Thanks!

FrostyOrDie
Old
Thanks Meter 74
This would benefit our android phones as many apps won't work over carrier network to avoid data overages. I got unlimited data and get better speeds from Verizon than I do at home. If it was an app, xposed module, or some other mod, I would pay for it.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Chahk
Old
Thanks Meter 161
A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.
Galaxy S4 GPe (I9505G/jgedlte) - ROM: CM11 nightly (4.4.4). Recovery: CWM-based 6.0.5.0. Kernel - moded Alucard
Moto X GSM (SIM-unlocked) - stock 4.4.3.
Acer A500 tablet - ROM: OmniROM 4.4.2 V12 | Recovery: TWRP-based REV 2.0 beta2
LG G Pad 8.3 GPe (V510) - stock 4.4.4.
Pebble Steel - ROM: stock 2.3.
Amazon Fire TV - stock.

Spelvin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk View Post
A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.
It is only an assumption, but I am guessing that apps such as the Xfinity TV app by Comcast are setup that way so that people can not use devices such as the FireTV and the Ouya as a replacement for renting a set top box from them. Yes, I can get around this issue by going on wifi, but why use an worst connection method when there may be another way around it? Also Androids open environment is supposed to encourage the creation of alternative ways of doing things.

Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spelvin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Chahk
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelvin View Post
Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.
I can see the usefulness of such an app, but it would probably require a rooted device. As far as I know, Fire TV has not been rooted yet.
Galaxy S4 GPe (I9505G/jgedlte) - ROM: CM11 nightly (4.4.4). Recovery: CWM-based 6.0.5.0. Kernel - moded Alucard
Moto X GSM (SIM-unlocked) - stock 4.4.3.
Acer A500 tablet - ROM: OmniROM 4.4.2 V12 | Recovery: TWRP-based REV 2.0 beta2
LG G Pad 8.3 GPe (V510) - stock 4.4.4.
Pebble Steel - ROM: stock 2.3.
Amazon Fire TV - stock.

FrostyOrDie
Old
Thanks Meter 74
It has been rooted. But the method has not been shared yet. I believe he said it wasn't ready for release yet. Something along those lines. At any rate it will be eventually

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

krawhitham
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Since Fire TV is rooted how do we go about faking WiFi when wired?

Spelvin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Looks like it actually exists!

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.l...wificonnection

You need Xposed installed to run it.

Enjoy!