Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Fake Wifi connection when on Ethernet

OP Spelvin

13th May 2014, 03:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

16 posts
Howdy folks, I am looking to find out if there is a way to have Wifi show as active and the primary network connection when the FireTV is actually connected via Ethernet. Many apps, specifically streaming apps, require a wifi connection and will not run without it. I prefer to run my FireTV via Ethernet due to the environment mine is in.

This type of hack or workaround would also be useful for the Ouya and any other android device that has an Ethernet port.

To sum up, I am looking for a hack or workaround that will present the Ethernet connection as Wifi to the OS or applications.

I found this document, and page 30 reference what I am looking to do:
http://www.elinux.org/images/9/98/Di...nnectivity.pdf

Thoughts?
Thanks!
14th May 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 74

368 posts
This would benefit our android phones as many apps won't work over carrier network to avoid data overages. I got unlimited data and get better speeds from Verizon than I do at home. If it was an app, xposed module, or some other mod, I would pay for it.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
16th May 2014, 04:49 PM   |  #3  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 165

1,264 posts
More
A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.
16th May 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chahk

A better way would be contacting the developers of that particular app and having them fix it, so that Ethernet is treated the same way as Wi-Fi.

It is only an assumption, but I am guessing that apps such as the Xfinity TV app by Comcast are setup that way so that people can not use devices such as the FireTV and the Ouya as a replacement for renting a set top box from them. Yes, I can get around this issue by going on wifi, but why use an worst connection method when there may be another way around it? Also Androids open environment is supposed to encourage the creation of alternative ways of doing things.

Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spelvin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 06:20 PM   |  #5  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 165

1,264 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelvin

Looking through other threads, there appears to be a desire for an app that spoofs wifi for people who are also only on 4G or other wireless methods. Having an app on android that could spoof a wifi connection when you are 3G or 4G wireless would be just as useful for some people.

I can see the usefulness of such an app, but it would probably require a rooted device. As far as I know, Fire TV has not been rooted yet.
17th May 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 74

368 posts
It has been rooted. But the method has not been shared yet. I believe he said it wasn't ready for release yet. Something along those lines. At any rate it will be eventually

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk
16th June 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #7  

18 posts
Since Fire TV is rooted how do we go about faking WiFi when wired?
3rd July 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

16 posts
Looks like it actually exists!

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.l...wificonnection

You need Xposed installed to run it.

Enjoy!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread