Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,170 Members 43,631 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooted, Now Can't Update… 8.4 wifi

Tip us?

rholm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Rooted, Now Can't Update… 8.4 wifi

I rooted with towel root. Knox still shows 0x0. If I check of updates to the OS, I says my has changed and there are no updates. How can i reenable updates? Eventually, I'll install CM or something, but for now i want to install the latest.

I've had a few random reboots. They seem to be warm boots, because my uptime doesn't reset. I want to see if an updates fixes this problem. Other than this, eveeything has been great.

Cheers,
Rich

rholm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Ok, I did the following:

- unrooted (with SuperSu)
- did a factory reset
- rooted with towel root (again)
- ran SuperSu and left knox running
- reinstalled apps with TB

Everything now looks good. The "Check Update" no longer complains. I want to run this way for a little while. Will install CM in the future.

Cheers,
Rich

stuartv
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by rholm View Post
Ok, I did the following:

- unrooted (with SuperSu)
- did a factory reset
- rooted with towel root (again)
- ran SuperSu and left knox running
- reinstalled apps with TB

Everything now looks good. The "Check Update" no longer complains. I want to run this way for a little while. Will install CM in the future.

Cheers,
Rich
So you were able to take the latest OTA and you still have root and a custom recovery, and your Knox flag is still 0?

rholm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
So you were able to take the latest OTA and you still have root and a custom recovery, and your Knox flag is still 0?
There was no OTA. So, still waiting to see what happens there. My knox is still 0x0 as i did not install a custom recovery. Towel root does not trip knox.

I'm on rooted stock. Knox is still running. I did not disable it with SuperSu. So far, no random reboots (10 hours)… very stable.

I will install a custom recovery and CM at some point in the future. I want to keep my warrenty intact for a while. I bought this tablet last weekend. I like it.

Cheers,
Rich

stuartv
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
There was no OTA.
Gotcha. So what is your build number (from Settings/About device)?

Mine came with NAI installed. I don't know yet what build number it is going to install when I let it apply the OTA.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

I just took the OTA. I am now on build number ND3. Just FYI.

rholm
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartv View Post
Gotcha. So what is your build number (from Settings/About device)?

Mine came with NAI installed. I don't know yet what build number it is going to install when I let it apply the OTA.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

I just took the OTA. I am now on build number ND3. Just FYI.
ND3.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rholm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flymacs
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
ND3.

Cheers,
Rich

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Are you on a UK device? If so, I see from sammobile.com that the latest NF3 was released. You can download it and flash with odin. It will unroot, so you will have to re-root. I believe as long as you don't flash a custom recovery, the warranty flag will stay at 0x0. That way you don't have to wait for the ota update.