1st July 2014, 09:17 AM   |  #11  
Flag Locating.........
Thanks Meter: 352

648 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuthian

Ah, okay. So you can actually easily flash the S5 (well, as much as any other locked phone) but people don't want to lose their warranty...

Doesn't seem like the worst trade-off to me though. If a Google Play edition of the device hits, I would gladly flash my device to a stock Android 5.0 ROM on the S5.

Actually It is a golden deal even if we loose warranty. rooting and custom recovery unlocks tons of features. It's like heaven for smartphone...
1st July 2014, 02:02 PM   |  #12  
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 18,413

8,522 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuthian

Is that the reason modding for the S5 seems to be at a standstill?

Urghhh if I read another statement like that I'm gonna scream! Modding is NOT at a standstill!! Why do so many people use these sweeping statements just because they can't have a fully working non Samsung based Rom. Modding is very much on the move for Samsung based roms. If you are waiting for fully working non Samsung you may as well have bought a N5 as by not using Samsung software you lose a hell of a lot of what makes an s5 and s5! Buy a nexus... Save some money and be happy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
1st July 2014, 05:12 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
More
towerlroot worked here without messing up knox.

this is my first smartphone I was worried too -- ecspecially because I have insurance on the phone lol

I have not put in custom rom there yet because I need to get a SD card and would rather move my apps there before doing so, but no issues and the thing could not be easier to do with his program.
1st July 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #14  
Flag Locating.........
Thanks Meter: 352

648 posts
Donate to Me
More
That's great...

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd July 2014, 03:23 AM   |  #15  
Flag Rotterdam(ned)
Thanks Meter: 16

87 posts
More
The question is, can a rooted (but older) firmware be as secure as a non-rooted (up-to-date) firmware?

Sure you install apps or modify certain files/settings to improve security, but what if there's a serious security flaw in the kernel?
Installing a newer kernel would render towelroot useless (the reason i don't mention CF-Auto-Root is because of KNOX, but you can't always have the best of both worlds)
Last edited by born4trance; 3rd July 2014 at 02:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to born4trance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd July 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #16  
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 9

69 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie

Urghhh if I read another statement like that I'm gonna scream! Modding is NOT at a standstill!! Why do so many people use these sweeping statements just because they can't have a fully working non Samsung based Rom. Modding is very much on the move for Samsung based roms. If you are waiting for fully working non Samsung you may as well have bought a N5 as by not using Samsung software you lose a hell of a lot of what makes an s5 and s5! Buy a nexus... Save some money and be happy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I didn't mean it like that. I assume people simply aren't working on it much because the bootloader hasn't been unlocked. POintless to build ROMs that can't be used yet. That's all. I'm actually quite happy with my S5, and would be even if we never saw a big ROM community for it. It's a good phone, and Touch Wiz is far less intrusive than it used to be. Even knowing an F device is in the works I'm still happy with my purchase.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread