Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,165 Members 44,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help in moving from Eclipse ADT to Android Studios

Tip us?

Aultex
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default Help in moving from Eclipse ADT to Android Studios

I had been working on Eclipse ADT but due to the errors and nuisances of the 23.0 update I have decided to move to Android Studio. The problem is, importing projects to Android Studio and getting used to it is turning out to be a bigger problem. Please try to help me on any of the below mentioned problems and questions:
  1. How do i properly import projects from eclipse?
    the projects were made with target API 19 and min sdk 8. I have followed all proper steps given by google and searched on Stackoverflow too. When I direct import, no matter what I do, (replace, not replace jar dependencies etc) the projects imported always have errors, like support library defines min sdk version L etc. When I don't, the app crashes. Can you tell me the exact proper procedure for import? the apps were up and running by Eclipse, no problem with them
  2. What is Gradle exaclty? What is Maven?
    I know the answers are on wiki but they are too complex for a rookie coder. Can someone explain in simple language?
  3. How are support libraries handled in Android studios?
    In eclipse you just copy over the .jar file and add it to build path. How do I manage support in Android Studio?

Image 1 : import with jar replacement, giving error.
image 2: import without jar replacement, looks fine. Though I haven't added the activity element of ActionTab.activity to AndroidManifest.xml
image 3: the imported project's ActionTab activity after I added its activity element to AndroidManifest.xml All hell breaks lose.

I have spent past 2 days trying to figure this thing out, but I got no luck.
Please help me if you have the answers. Images are attached with this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	import with jar replacement.png
Views:	44
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2823788   Click image for larger version

Name:	import without jar replacement at first.png
Views:	36
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	2823811   Click image for larger version

Name:	import without jar replacement after I mod manifestxml.png
Views:	31
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2823812  

Aman Raien
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Android

Android Studio is a new Android development environment based on IntelliJ IDEA. It provides new features and improvements over Eclipse ADT and will be the official Android IDE once it's ready. On top of the capabilities you expect from IntelliJ, Android Studio offers:

Flexible Gradle-based build system.
Build variants and multiple APK generation.
Expanded template support for Google Services and various device types.
Rich layout editor with support for theme editing.
Lint tools to catch performance, usability, version compatibility, and other problems.
ProGuard and app-signing capabilities.
Built-in support for Google Cloud Platform, making it easy to integrate Google Cloud Messaging and App Engine.
Tags
android studio, eclipse, import