Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,969 Members 37,798 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can i flash Jelly Bean on my XPeria Arc S no bootloader

Tip us?

KonradIC13
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Can i flash Jelly Bean on my XPeria Arc S no bootloader

Is it possible to somehow change my android from ICS to custom Jelly Bean on my phone

Sony Xperia Arc S LT18i, Production date code 12W22

It came up with Android Gingerbread on board.

What i did so far is using program called Flashtool to flash my phone with stock Android ICS 4.0.4 4.1.B.0.587 (the file was called Android_4.0.4_LT18i_4.1.B.0.587.tft). This replaced branded Gingerbread with non branded stock ICS

After that i used Flashtool to flash my phone with Kernel 4.1.A.0.562 and then i used DooMLoRD_v1_Xperia-2011-ICS-ROOT tool to root my phone.

And after that i flashed it with 4.1.B.0.587 kernel.

By doing this steps i supposedly achieved root on my phone (superuser and root checking apps show full access).

Now i read about flashing with Jelly Bean custom roms and all i seen mention "bootloader"

When i open secret service menu on my phone there are two things that worry me:
- Simlock - it says my phone is provider locked
- Bootloader unlockable - NO

So this is my question, is there any way in my current situation to somehow flash my phone with android Jelly Bean? In a similar way that i used to upgrade it from gingerbread to ICS?

xdlol123321
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Hi !
In order to flash a Jelly Bean ROM on your phone, your bootloader needs to be unlocked. There is no other way.
As you said, you can't unlock it the "easy" way. Nevertheless, I think that there are other ways for you to unlock it.
You can follow this guide : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35910775 > Bootloader and SIM Unlocking.
You should give a try to the testpoint method /!\ DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK /!\
I never tested it myself.
If it works, you would be able to flash a custom kernel through FlashTool and flash a JB or even KitKat ROM.

Hope I helped.
Cheers.
_ _ _ _ _ __________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _
~ The only limit is the one you set yourself ~
_ _ _ _ _ __________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdlol123321 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KonradIC13
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdlol123321 View Post
Hi !
In order to flash a Jelly Bean ROM on your phone, your bootloader needs to be unlocked. There is no other way.
As you said, you can't unlock it the "easy" way. Nevertheless, I think that there are other ways for you to unlock it.
You can follow this guide : http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35910775 > Bootloader and SIM Unlocking.
You should give a try to the testpoint method /!\ DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK /!\
I never tested it myself.
If it works, you would be able to flash a custom kernel through FlashTool and flash a JB or even KitKat ROM.

Hope I helped.
Cheers.
Thanks for reply, unfortunatly it seems that this:
"If you're Phone was manufactured AFTER a certain date, 12W11 (look under your battery for a similar number) then the Testpoint method no longer works"
prevents me from using testpoint method because my production date code is date 12W22 which seems to be newer than 12W11.
Also the article mentions Two members - Alejandrissimo or Jinx13. I checked it with Jinx13 and he confirmed that there is no way for him to unlock bootloader from that production date phone, i didnt contact Alejandrissimo yet.

I dont mind paying for online/remote service, i know that experience and knowledge costs, im just looking to way for getting my bootloader unlocked.

Someguyfromhell
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,002

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonradIC13 View Post
Thanks for reply, unfortunatly it seems that this:
"If you're Phone was manufactured AFTER a certain date, 12W11 (look under your battery for a similar number) then the Testpoint method no longer works"
prevents me from using testpoint method because my production date code is date 12W22 which seems to be newer than 12W11.
Also the article mentions Two members - Alejandrissimo or Jinx13. I checked it with Jinx13 and he confirmed that there is no way for him to unlock bootloader from that production date phone, i didnt contact Alejandrissimo yet.

I dont mind paying for online/remote service, i know that experience and knowledge costs, im just looking to way for getting my bootloader unlocked.
You are one of those unfortunate people, who can't unlock their bootloader at all due to certain restrictions.

We do not have any confirmed solution for test point method, however there is one topic in General section of Xperia Arc, where the OP claims he managed to unlock the bootloader in such situation. You can check it out, however it is your own decision, if you try it or not.
Link to the topic - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2737846
Tags
bootloader, flashtool, jelly bean