Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,054 Members 40,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root SGH-I537 with APK - Towelroot

Tip us?

Xanthos58
Old
(Last edited by KennyG123; 17th June 2014 at 01:02 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Root SGH-I537 with APK - Towelroot

Geohot released towelroot today for the verizon and AT&T variant s5, this root also works with the ATT s4 active on NE3 which is the latest OTA.

Only issue is that you cannot update SUbinary however you can grant superuser permissions to programs like root explorer, busybox etc.

Get a hold of it @ towelroot.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Xanthos58 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jball
Old
(Last edited by jball; 17th June 2014 at 07:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 146
I just rooted my ladies phone yesterday and have Safestrap installed .
The thing that bugs is the inability to update superuser.

: edit
I just used Safestrap recovery to flash supersu in the stock slot and am up to date.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Xanthos58
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jball View Post
I just rooted my ladies phone yesterday and have Safestrap installed .
The thing that bugs is the inability to update superuser.

: edit
I just used Safestrap recovery to flash supersu in the stock slot and am up to date.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
What version 3.71?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tlyons1022
Old
Thanks Meter 7
If anyone can find a way to update SU and then explain it to me like I'm 5, that would be wonderful. I just tried to fix it buy giving SU some extra permissions, and accidentally threw my phone into a boot-loop when I accidentally removed all "execute" permissions from the /system folder. Oops, should have paid attention to what the hell I was doing. Oh well, easily enough fixed by flashing all the ML2 ODIN files (except bootloader) and then updating with the OTA ML2 ---> NE3 file dropped onto an SD Card.

Still, I'm just going to let it bother me so I don't have to go through all that again.
Using Tapatalk

mikelets456
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons1022 View Post
If anyone can find a way to update SU and then explain it to me like I'm 5, that would be wonderful. I just tried to fix it buy giving SU some extra permissions, and accidentally threw my phone into a boot-loop when I accidentally removed all "execute" permissions from the /system folder. Oops, should have paid attention to what the hell I was doing. Oh well, easily enough fixed by flashing all the ML2 ODIN files (except bootloader) and then updating with the OTA ML2 ---> NE3 file dropped onto an SD Card.

Still, I'm just going to let it bother me so I don't have to go through all that again.
I read somewhere on this site that someone pulled the APK file from the superuser.zip file and it installed. I do not have SU installed since wiping my phone and installing 4.3 and 4.4.2 ota stock. So I would like to know if I can simply install root.apk and the SU.apk??? I also heard a rumor on this site that 4.4.3 is due out in a month or so.

tlyons1022
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I knot the root.apk from towelroot.com worked great on my phone, just every time I open SU or SuperSU it complains about outdated binaries, but the binary update fails when I try it. Hmm...

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

An update for SuperSU just came through the play store that fixed it.
Using Tapatalk

zombieguy85
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Just did mine worked great! Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1403661060570.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2816080

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

zombieguy85
Old
Thanks Meter 43
I don't wanna do it yet but If some one wanted to go back to no root would I do a Full Unroot thru SuperSU and then factory reset in the recovery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Magotchi
Old
(Last edited by Magotchi; 3rd July 2014 at 07:39 PM.) Reason: silly question
Thanks Meter 7
deleted

Tags
apk, root