Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,493 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Shutdowns since KitKat

Tip us?

dimdem
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Shutdowns since KitKat

Unrooted, locked RAZR Maxx HD. The only thing not entirely typical about my phone is that I'm in Germany at present, running it on a no -Verizon SIM. Since I updated, I seem to be getting restarts every day or two. Screen blacks out and the phone is unresponsive for a minute or two, then it fires up again. Doesn't quite act like a complete reboot, since I don't get the "Unlock PIN" screen that I do when I boot. But I get the message that the PIN is from an unknown source, and then it works fine. At first I thought that maybe the trouble was from Greenify, which I installed shortly after the update, but uninstalling it didn't help. Any thoughts?

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 404
Did you did a Factory Data Reset (FDR)? I know they are a pain since it wipes everything out, but it definitely cures a lot of ills after a major OTA like this one. I'm not saying it cures all issues, but it definitely cures a lot of issues like what you have described.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

dimdem
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBolski View Post
Did you did a Factory Data Reset (FDR)? I know they are a pain since it wipes everything out, but it definitely cures a lot of ills after a major OTA like this one. I'm not saying it cures all issues, but it definitely cures a lot of issues like what you have described.
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the response. Not afraid in that I don't think it might be right; was just hoping for something easier. That's more than I can take on here; I'll be back in the States for a week next week and might have time for it then. So obviously the answer is no; I cleared the cache, but that's it.

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimdem View Post
Yeah, I was afraid that would be the response. Not afraid in that I don't think it might be right; was just hoping for something easier. That's more than I can take on here; I'll be back in the States for a week next week and might have time for it then. So obviously the answer is no; I cleared the cache, but that's it.
Yeah, I know. A lot of people hate to hear it, but considering we went from JB to KitKat, that's a pretty big architectural jump. Usually, when things like this happen (GB to ICS, ICS to JB, and now JB to KK), it usually is best to wipe your phone clean and start over from scratch. Definitely resolves a lot of issues like this.

Now, the only other thing I can think of is your SIM card. Since it's non-Verizon, I don't know if that could be the issue. It could be the SIM is bad. You never know.

It will be interesting to see if a return to the states and using a Verizon SIM cures your ills? If so, then I definitely point it to the SIM card and then possibly, a FDR isn't needed.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

rafjak
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hello All,

Does the Factory Data Reset remove all installed apps from phone?

Regards
Rafal

iBolski
Old
Thanks Meter 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafjak View Post
Hello All,

Does the Factory Data Reset remove all installed apps from phone?

Regards
Rafal
Yes. It wipes all installed apps as well as settings, contacts, text messages, etc. It effectively resets the phone back to factory defaults (no Google accounts registered, all email accounts removed, contacts, text messages, etc).

Now, if you've modified it (removed system apps), it will NOT restore those. It can only reset/wipe settings as well as messages, emails, etc, installed apps.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

rafjak
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Does Fatory Reset help anybody for constantly rebooting?

Regards
Rafal

droidrazr7
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimdem View Post
Unrooted, locked RAZR Maxx HD. The only thing not entirely typical about my phone is that I'm in Germany at present, running it on a no -Verizon SIM. Since I updated, I seem to be getting restarts every day or two. Screen blacks out and the phone is unresponsive for a minute or two, then it fires up again. Doesn't quite act like a complete reboot, since I don't get the "Unlock PIN" screen that I do when I boot. But I get the message that the PIN is from an unknown source, and then it works fine. At first I thought that maybe the trouble was from Greenify, which I installed shortly after the update, but uninstalling it didn't help. Any thoughts?
I'm getting this in the UK. It is apparently a problem with the Fast Dormancy Monitor on European GSM networks, after the 4.4.2 update
According to a Motorola forum, they are aware of the problem.
Unfortunately the only possible fix I have seen involves rooting the phone then editing the build props file to disable the fast dormancy monitor process

cmh714
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I guess a question many would have here is why arent you rooted and unlocked.......