Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,819 Members 40,824 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] need some advice before buying m8

Tip us?

samsamuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1047
Quote:
Edit: debranding /S-OFF makes it sim unlocked also
Correction, s-off allows you to SIM unlock it, it doesn't make it sim unlocked.

XDA app on m8 running venom
ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

O2 UK automated free sim unlock form.

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE

rusty-ragster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Run it with ELEMENTALX kernel (one comes with it but just update to latest). Although, I've had far better out of GPE ROMs - 3 days battery, 60mins or so voice calls, heavy use plus 5hrs sot. And left 10-20% juice before recharge.

You'll find similar performance with striped down sense ROMs also, but need tweaking and kernel tweaking.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
got the phone loving it so far i downloaded viper rom but could not find the kernel you specified can you please link me to it? plus it is charging really slowly over here or maybe i am used to note 3

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1389

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamuel View Post
Correction, s-off allows you to SIM unlock it, it doesn't make it sim unlocked.

It automatically unlocked mine. Didn't need to do anything else, my Three sim worked straight away. O2 *apparently* lock their devices when got direct from them.. Whether this is or was who knows. But S-OFF and debranding it made it sim unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty-ragster View Post
got the phone loving it so far i downloaded viper rom but could not find the kernel you specified can you please link me to it? plus it is charging really slowly over here or maybe i am used to note 3
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2705613

There ya go ^^

// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samsamuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1047
Quote:
It automatically unlocked mine. Didn't need to do anything else, my Three sim worked straight away. O2 *apparently* lock their devices when got direct from them.. Whether this is or was who knows. But S-OFF and debranding it made it sim unlocked.

Sure it wasn't already sim unlocked? Car phone warehouse fir example tend to sell unlocked phones.
Mines from o2 and yes it was locked,but they have an automated unlock page for customers,sent me the code in about thirty seconds.

ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

Want to say thanks? Do you buy stuff on eBay? Click HERE to donate to me FOR FREE

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1389

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamuel View Post
Sure it wasn't already sim unlocked? Car phone warehouse fir example tend to sell unlocked phones.
Mines from o2 and yes it was locked,but they have an automated unlock page for customers,sent me the code in about thirty seconds.

Never tested, Came direct from O2's online store. Buuut saying that, I have known O2 to not lock phones before, Vodafone are the same.. Appear to lock at random lol.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)

rusty-ragster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2705613

There ya go ^^

thank you going to flash now

samsamuel
Old
Thanks Meter 1047
Yea I remember the HD2 when o2 got it, the first few month they issued fully branded sim locked,then the next batch were unlocked but branded, and later they were just sending out unlocked wwe hd2's

ViperOneM8 VIPER4Android

rusty-ragster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
i am loving this phone thank you guys for your help you guys made it possible

neoreeps
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Agreed, this is the best phone I've ever owned. Hands down simplest to mod and haven't bricked yet.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rusty-ragster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
charging time is a bit slow over here my kernel comes with fast charge option but i have not tried it yet...its been on for about an hour and i have like 25 percent other then that everything is buttery smooth on sense and the ui is a treat for the eyes i could not bare touch wiz but sense is really great.