Towelroot works without unlocking bootloader!

Search This thread

vlad48

Oct 1, 2007
LG V20
LG V30
Very strange... I have two TF701s, and on the oldest one (JB 4.3, Kernel 3.4.57 Apr 18, build 10.26.1.28) the tr.apk won't install. On my recently bought TF701 (Still not updated, running JB 4.2.2, Kernel 3.4.35, Oct 22 2013, build 10.14.1.47) it ran without any problems.

Has anyone with the Apr 18 update run the TowelRoot exploit successfully on their TF701? :confused:

Yes and happy running rooted now, maybe there is a AV sentinel somewhere on your side which is braking the app. Please try the attached zip file here - send it to your device than extract the tr.apk there and install it - it should work ;)

Attachments

• towelroot.zip
    101.9 KB · Views: 9,121

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
maybe there is a AV sentinel

Not an AV sentinel, but some installed program interfered. Unfortunately, I didn't have the patience to do the uninstall one app at a time, so I uninstalled 5-6 apps I never used, and suddenly TowelRoot was working... Now happily transferring apps from my old TF701 to my new one using Titanium Backup...

Sent from my Rooted Asus Transformer TF701 using XDA Premium HD

SwingBlade

Aug 14, 2008
Towelroot v3 stalls requiring forceclose (which reboots), or a hard reboot. Anyone have a link for v1 or v2?

EDIT: I have the October kernel according to settings.

EDIT EDIT: It's also apparently still on Jelly Bean 4.2.2, will it need to upgrade to 4.3 to get TR to work?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Going to towelroot.com/tr1.apk or towelroot.com/tr2.apk will download the appropriate previous version. V1 worked perfect on my tablet! Heck yes.

Last edited:

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
@SwingBlade You still have the apk? I know someone who's desperstely looking for a root method that does not involve adb/fastboot (probably busted USB port) on the TF700, V3 is not working

LukaLuxXD

Sep 17, 2013
A few questions :D

Guys, please help, I am pretty much a noob about rooting, so please answer (at least some of these) questions:
1. I am using Xperia SP with the latest .205 firmware, it started rolling on June 10th, is towelroot going to work?
2. Do i need to install Superuser or does it come with root
3. Will I be able to instal Xposed and Roehsoft Ram expander?
4. Will I be able to receive ota updates, or at least update through my laptop? If I do a factory reset can I receive them then?
5. Will I lose my warranty?
Please answer these :D

doom_71

Oct 6, 2010
Caught somewhere in time
Guys, please help, I am pretty much a noob about rooting, so please answer (at least some of these) questions:
1. I am using Xperia SP with the latest .205 firmware, it started rolling on June 10th, is towelroot going to work?
2. Do i need to install Superuser or does it come with root
3. Will I be able to instal Xposed and Roehsoft Ram expander?
4. Will I be able to receive ota updates, or at least update through my laptop? If I do a factory reset can I receive them then?
5. Will I lose my warranty?
Please answer these :D
You know this is the forum for the Asus TF701? If you have questions about your xperia tablet you shoud go and ask in that forum.

Reactions: Kashban

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
Anybody have any info on a new towelroot version that will encompass the latest update to 4.4.2?

Well seeing as the towelroot dev broke root in versions 2 & 3 I would say things aren't looking good unless you ask him ;)

Also bear in mind that towelroot states it won't work on firmwares/kernels after a certain date (May 2014?) So I'd say things aren't looking good right now.

SHadowral

Apr 23, 2012
Well seeing as the towelroot dev broke root in versions 2 & 3 I would say things aren't looking good unless you ask him ;)

Also bear in mind that towelroot states it won't work on firmwares/kernels after a certain date (May 2014?) So I'd say things aren't looking good right now.

"should support all phones < jun 3 2014" From the official Website... **** i just read about it today and updatet 2 weeks ago. Such a **** -.- nevertheless I´ll wait for the next exploit...

aniket0317

Mar 25, 2014
Gotham
No you will need to unlock the boot loader to install a custom recovery I'm afraid.

I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), using custom ROMs (using multirom) so that's not true

Sent from my PS4 using a keyboard

DEVICE:
Rooted (Towelroot)
Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)
TWRP 2.7.1 (With MultiROM Support)

ROMS (Using MultiROM):
Stock (4.4.3)
CyanogenMod 11 (Snapshot M8)
Paranoid Android (4.4.5)

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
I am running a custom recovery (TWRP), using custom ROMs (using multirom) so that's not true

DEVICE:
Rooted (Towelroot)
Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)

ROMS (Using MultiROM):
Stock (4.4.3)
Paranoid Android (4.4.5)

You are in the TF701 forum btw (not sure if you realise that) - you can't load a custom recovery or a custom rom without unlocking the bootloader on this device.

aniket0317

Mar 25, 2014
Gotham
Oh... Sorry

DEVICE:
Rooted (Towelroot)
Nexus 7 2013 LTE (DEB)

ROMS (Using MultiROM):
Stock (4.4.3)
Paranoid Android (4.4.5)

royredman

Jun 30, 2011
can anyone confirm that this root exploit works on 4.4.2? I was kind of hoping to see how root helps everything while not unlocking (to make sure I can return it if needed)

Top Liked Posts