Using ART as runtime

Search This thread

startracker

Mar 15, 2014
MUMBAI
ART.png

ART] is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

Important: Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.

I just booted my phone in ART runtime from developer options.

choosing_art.png

ART vs Dalvik / AOT vs JIT

Android apps are deployed in Dalvik bytecode, which is portable, unlike native code. In order to be able to run the app on a device, the code has to be compiled to machine code.

Dalvik is based on*JIT (just in time) compilation. It means that each time you run an app, the part of the code required for its execution is going to be translated (compiled) to machine code at that moment. As you progress through the app, additional code is going to be compiled and cached, so that the system can reuse the code while the app is running. Since JIT compiles only a part of the code, it has a smaller memory footprint and uses less physical space on the device.

ART, on the other hand, compiles the intermediate language, Dalvik bytecode, into a*system-dependent binary. The whole code of the app will be pre-compiled during install (once), thus removing the lag that we see when we open an app on our device. With no need for JIT compilation, the code should execute much faster.

Except for the potential speed increase, the use of ART can provide an important secondary benefit. As ART runs app machine code directly (native execution), it doesn't hit the CPU as hard as just-in-time code compiling on Dalvik. Less CPU usage results in less battery drain, which is a big plus for portable devices in general.

ADVANTAGES

> increased speed in CPU floating operations by approx. 20%
> increased speed in RAM operations by approx. 10%
> increased speed in storage operations by approx. 10%
> CPU integer operations - slight advantage goes to Dalvik

Pretty neat, don't you agree? There is one more hidden, but very important benefit of ART. When you ask iPhone users how they feel about the look and feel of Android smartphones, they often complain thatAndroid feels laggy, despite the fact that hardware on both phones is top notch. Perceived lag/delay is the result of JIT compilation and it more or less disappears after switching to ART.

If u want to experience it just try it out.

CAUTION
THE BOOT TIME IS TOO LONG ,JUST DONT SWITCH OFF PHONE BY GETTING SCARED IT'S ALRIGHT:)

REGARDS,
#startracker

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

tamilmad

Jan 14, 2012
LineageOS
Google Pixel 6
Antutu and Quadrant BM results with ART

In my Nexus 7, There was a definite and good improvement in both the benchmark results.

But in MOTO E I was surprised that with ART both the BM scored much lower scores (Antutu 12500 with dalvik and 11700 with ART in Quadrant 5166 with Dalvik and 3350 with ART). Hence I have reverted to Dalvik Cache in my Moto E.

Please do post your results.

Regards

5hubh4m

Jan 22, 2013
Varanasi
I booted my E with ART, the results, well, just saying I wasn't satisfied. Most of my games disappeared from the launcher, internal storage jumped from 500 MB to 1.1 GB(That was expected), and the whole system lagged like hell. I have no clue why. So I quickly reverted to Dalvik. I guess in the next update It'll be better. BTW did you notice the same issues.

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in
Well I had a totally opposite experience...

At first the mob got heated a lot while starting up.
Then there was some lag.
But after that the mob became fast...

I didnt saw any storage jump tooo...

Sent from my C2004 using Tapatalk

startracker

Mar 15, 2014
MUMBAI
Well I had a totally opposite experience...

At first the mob got heated a lot while starting up.
Then there was some lag.
But after that the mob became fast...

I didnt saw any storage jump tooo...

Sent from my C2004 using Tapatalk

Yes after an hour or so it becomes cool .I am gonna be permanently on ART NOW:D

startracker

Mar 15, 2014
MUMBAI
I am getting less battery drain even after watching videos for half an hour that's cool:)

Reactions: a1b2c99

startracker

Mar 15, 2014
MUMBAI
I had a chat with a dev of MOTO e ,he said the work of ART is incomplete it will be fixed with next update:)

Noed

Oct 14, 2011
Campinas
There's any way to detect if ART is in use?

I changed to art in developer options but after the boot the setting was back to Dalvik.

Then I noticed the lib didn't change in build.prop and edited it manually to use libart.so... After boot I don't see any difference.

There's anything else I can do to manually change to art?

arnabJ

Dec 18, 2012
Asansol
www.proficientapps.in

I changed to art in developer options but after the boot the setting was back to Dalvik.

Then I noticed the lib didn't change in build.prop and edited it manually to use libart.so... After boot I don't see any difference.

Try changing from developers option once again.
Let it shut down and boot itself.

May be something or the other went wrong the first time.

Sent from my XT1022

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
ART is a No Go for me as of now. Yes the small boost in performance is evident but some of the apps I use aren't compatible with it. Given its a work in progress, stability issues are prominent. Frequent FC's (even with apps that are supported). So I'd stick to Dlavik for now.

PS: Just for reference as OP mentioned it. The lag in Android is not just 'cause of the runtime. There are other reasons too.

udhayababu

Mar 19, 2013
Chengalpattu
I switched dalvik to art time , for the first time boot time takes more than 15 minutes
phone is heating during 1st boot on art time
while finish optimisation and sarting apps a message has pop up as ahowing "Unfortunately com.android.phone has stoped "
and phone doesn't get into home launcher :crying:

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

After a reboot it works fine and internal memory is filled
game works very smoothly tested on shadow fight 2
ram consumption is awsome :)
drawback is internal storage is fulled my optimising :(

sham4u2sam

Jan 10, 2013
chennai

Facing the same problem , tried many times still in dalvik ....did u made it run in art time ?

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk 2

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
Managed to get Art after uninstalling Xposed modules..... Thanks... Xposed modules won't work in ART ? Did somebody tried ?

Xposed doesn't support ART as of now.
It will ,once Android L is officially released, until then you have to use Dalvik if you have Xposed installed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ART.png

ART] is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

Important: Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.

I just booted my phone in ART runtime from developer options.

choosing_art.png

ART vs Dalvik / AOT vs JIT

Android apps are deployed in Dalvik bytecode, which is portable, unlike native code. In order to be able to run the app on a device, the code has to be compiled to machine code.

Dalvik is based on*JIT (just in time) compilation. It means that each time you run an app, the part of the code required for its execution is going to be translated (compiled) to machine code at that moment. As you progress through the app, additional code is going to be compiled and cached, so that the system can reuse the code while the app is running. Since JIT compiles only a part of the code, it has a smaller memory footprint and uses less physical space on the device.

ART, on the other hand, compiles the intermediate language, Dalvik bytecode, into a*system-dependent binary. The whole code of the app will be pre-compiled during install (once), thus removing the lag that we see when we open an app on our device. With no need for JIT compilation, the code should execute much faster.

Except for the potential speed increase, the use of ART can provide an important secondary benefit. As ART runs app machine code directly (native execution), it doesn't hit the CPU as hard as just-in-time code compiling on Dalvik. Less CPU usage results in less battery drain, which is a big plus for portable devices in general.

ADVANTAGES

> increased speed in CPU floating operations by approx. 20%
    > increased speed in RAM operations by approx. 10%
    > increased speed in storage operations by approx. 10%
    > CPU integer operations - slight advantage goes to Dalvik

Pretty neat, don't you agree? There is one more hidden, but very important benefit of ART. When you ask iPhone users how they feel about the look and feel of Android smartphones, they often complain thatAndroid feels laggy, despite the fact that hardware on both phones is top notch. Perceived lag/delay is the result of JIT compilation and it more or less disappears after switching to ART.

If u want to experience it just try it out.

CAUTION
    THE BOOT TIME IS TOO LONG ,JUST DONT SWITCH OFF PHONE BY GETTING SCARED IT'S ALRIGHT:)

REGARDS,
    #startracker

with lollipop we can expect some optimization? I refer to the user that after enabling ART ended up with 1.5 GB of free space. With delvik instead were 2.2 GB free with the factory settings.

Sorry for my english.
    No, Though its true that ART on LP is much different than ART on KK, but still, it will result in more memory usage by apps than dalvik.
    Facing the same problem , tried many times still in dalvik ....did u made it run in art time ?

Do you have Xposed framework installed? If you've then you cannot switch to ART.
    I got around 1.5 GB

How much internal memory you get free after clean switch to ART? Any other significant difference other than speed ?

After switching to ART I got around 1.5 GB with no other apps installed other than built in stock apps.
    Battery life is also increased earlier I used to get around 24 Hrs with Wifi always on and moderate to heavy use now I am getting around 30 Hrs for the same.
    Phone speed is really great.No lag at all
    I am getting less battery drain even after watching videos for half an hour that's cool:)