Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cannot mount SD Card - Many methods tried

Tip us?

thebestnoobcake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Cannot mount SD Card - Many methods tried

Hello!

I have been a long time lurker and have been tweaking my phone for years.
Usually when I stuff something up, I can fix it.
That is not the case this time ;_;

This phone has been working fine for over 2 years without a reflash or anything done to it.
The battery died one Friday and the phone was not charged for 3 days.
It did not boot. HBOOT and Recovery were fine, but could not mount /sdcard in recovery

I ended up installing an RUU (Telstra_WWE_2.26.841.2). Cannot install other RUUs as sd card (Goldcard) cannot be read.
Android runs without recognising the SD card.
Recovery still does not recognise the SD card
Have tried:
- fastboot oem enableqxdm 0 (success, but did not fix problem)
- fastboot oem clearconfig
- S-Off and flashed different recoveries via Fastboot.
- 4Ext Recovery - USB Unbrick is ineffectual
- 4Ext Recovery - Partition sdcard correctly tells me the size of the sdcard, but then returns "Cannot read partition table"
- Two different SD Cards tried to no avail

This really sucks. I didn't even get to break my phone by myself.

Phone current status:
BRAVO PVT1 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.93.1002
RADIO-5.11.05.14

thebestnoobcake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No suggestions?

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 555
- Strange, you ran the RUU from sd card though, so it must have mounted and read it? Are the two sdcards same brand? Do they work ok in another phone?

4EXT recovery is the best solution for this, surprised it doesn't work.
- USB unbrick doens't work at all?
- Can't partition either card? Have you tried completely reformatting first?
- Can't install any ROM.zip from sdcard?

If it still doesn't work, I'd try reformat and repartition using gparted, then full wipe and resintall ROM from scratch.
Device: Nexus 5 | ROM: SlimKat | Recovery: PhilZ Touch
Retired: HTC Desire

thebestnoobcake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
- Strange, you ran the RUU from sd card though, so it must have mounted and read it? Are the two sdcards same brand? Do they work ok in another phone?
I ran the RUU from my computer because the SD card was out of action.
The two SD cards are different brands. Would that affect it a lot? They both work in card readers, card adapters, other computers, and other Android devices.

4EXT recovery is the best solution for this, surprised it doesn't work.
- USB unbrick doens't work at all?
- Can't partition either card? Have you tried completely reformatting first?
- Can't install any ROM.zip from sdcard?
USB Unbrick does its little thing, then asks me to reboot recovery now. After reboot, I still get the "Error mounting your sdcard.." while 4ext is booting. 4ext then boots into safe mode.
I have completely reformatted and partitioned one of the cards in GParted running off a bootable USB stick, and that still didn't work.
Can't install anything from SD card ;_;

If it still doesn't work, I'd try reformat and repartition using gparted, then full wipe and resintall ROM from scratch.
Without an SD card, is installing a ROM possible?

Playing with all the settings in 4ext at the moment. I'll keep y'all posted.

thebestnoobcake
Old
(Last edited by thebestnoobcake; 24th June 2014 at 12:32 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
When I click partition sdcard, it says "There is 9xxxxxxxx MB of space on your sd-card", which is why I don't think it is a hardware error.

I then clicked file system check, and then Repair Filesystem.

Partition sd-card now says there are 0MB of space on my sd-card. lol.

what is this i dont even

-------------------------------

Rebooted, partition sdcard reads the 9xxxx MB of space on the card, so no problems there.
Trying to repartition it gives this error "Error re reading partition table. Please reboot recovery and start over."

thebestnoobcake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Last bump.

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 555
I can't figure this one out to be honest. I really thought a complete reformat in gparted would work. Are you trying this using a card reader i.e. partitioning while not in the phone?

I'm beginning to think that the phone has a hardware issue reading the actual sd card, because both cards work in other phones and are read by computers / card readers just fine.

Last resort, if you can't run the RUU from the computer.

- Reformat sdcard to FAT32 only
- Extract the 2.3.3 GB RUU from the ROM.zip, follow Step 7 of Bortak's troubleshooting guide stickied at the top of Q&A, to run the RUU from sd.

thebestnoobcake
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I can't figure this one out to be honest. I really thought a complete reformat in gparted would work. Are you trying this using a card reader i.e. partitioning while not in the phone?

The complete reformat and partition was done with the micro SD in an SD adapter in a USB card reader plugged into a computer. I couldn't do it from the phone as the phone cannot read the darn thing.

I'm beginning to think that the phone has a hardware issue reading the actual sd card, because both cards work in other phones and are read by computers / card readers just fine.

The only problem with the phone having a hardware issue is that 4ext recovery "sees" the card and tells me that I have 8 GB of space on it. However, 4ext cannot do anything to the card.

Last resort, if you can't run the RUU from the computer.

- Extract the 2.3.3 GB RUU from the ROM.zip, follow Step 7 of Bortak's troubleshooting guide stickied at the top of Q&A, to run the RUU from sd.

I don't think this will work because the phone cannot see the SD card. Even converting a card to a goldcard and trying to install an RUU does not work.

This is quite saddening ;_;

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestnoobcake View Post
The only problem with the phone having a hardware issue is that 4ext recovery "sees" the card and tells me that I have 8 GB of space on it. However, 4ext cannot do anything to the card.

But if 2 different sdcards work in card readers and mount in other Android devices, then logic says it could be a hardware issue with the Desire.

Just because 4EXT sees it, the fact that it can't mount it or do anything with it further reinforces this theory.

Quote:
Last resort, if you can't run the RUU from the computer

I don't think this will work because the phone cannot see the SD card. Even converting a card to a goldcard and trying to install an RUU does not work.
You need to try it though

2.3.3 GB RUU does not require a goldcard as far as I know. If you made a goldcard, that process may have gone wrong somewhere not sure.

Which is why a complete reformat, a single clean FAT32 partition needs to be tried.

Try Step 7, see if the phone can read the PB99IMG.zip when started up in bootloader