Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,676 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.2 update question

Tip us?

NAiLs00
Old
(Last edited by NAiLs00; 23rd June 2014 at 04:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAiLs00 View Post
Well, I called and spoke with someone and AT&T has the ability to push updates manually if your phone isn't taking it. While she was waiting for the program to open, she was reading over the change log to see what all changed. She couldn't get her program to open, so she went to seek help. Unfortunately she came back and informed me that Kitkat isn't available yet, per a phone engineer. I let her know about many people receiving it already and pointed her to the S3 details on their website that says it's upgradeable to 4.4. I also showed her this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/Su...9&preview=true

She is going to speak with some other folks and call me back in an hour. Fingers crossed!
Alright... The rep called me back to let me know what's up! Apparently AT&T is having problems pushing the update at this time and has no ETA when they'll have their end resolved. She suggested I go to Best Buy and have them update my phone through Samsung Experience. The store closest to me has Samsung Experience, so I'll stop there after work and update you. If you happen to try it out yourself before I reply, let me know how it goes!

Now whether AT&T is blowing smoke in my face on both the update problems and Best Buy thing... I have no clue.

NAiLs00
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Alright... The rep called me back to let me know what's up! Apparently AT&T is having problems pushing the update at this time and has no ETA when they'll have their end resolved. She suggested I go to Best Buy and have them update my phone through Samsung Experience. The store closest to me has Samsung Experience, so I'll stop there after work and update you. If you happen to try it out yourself before I reply, let me know how it goes!

Now whether AT&T is blowing smoke in my face on both the update problems and Best Buy thing... I have no clue.
Well, Best Buy does indeed have the Samsung Experience dude present at two locations by me. One location said they didn't know what I was talking about and to wait for AT&T to have the update available. The other location the dude immediately knew what I was talking about and proceeded to update my phone.

They use a software called Smart to do this and it said there was an update for my phone. It took about 5-8 minutes and I was done. Unfortunately the Smart software wasn't so smart, because it just reflashed 4.3 onto my phone. I also attempted to do a manual check and it said "Software Update Interrupted." He proceeded to check again to see if the update was available and this time Smart was saying my phone was up-to-date. Hmph! The Samsung rep said he'd give me a call tomorrow and let me know why their Smart software didn't have 4.4.2 available, even though it should. He wasn't sure if it would just take another week before they got it, but he would get some clarification.

So much for that one.

Resendetra
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have been having the same problem. Everyone else seems to have gotten the update on their SIII's, but me. I feel left out of the KitKat club. Hah! Even my boyfriend has gotten it and we're on the same plan. I tried going through Kies, but it keeps saying that it doesn't support my phone. I even tried manually putting in the model number and S/N through Kies, but that just wants me to update it back to 4.1, which doesn't even make sense. I also tried changing the date on my phone to a future one, but that just made the wait time longer. It keeps saying my phone is up to date and it even says so on Kies. I don't understand...

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
I hate kies. ....lol!
There are two threads in General which will help you to update manually.

Resendetra
Old
(Last edited by Resendetra; 26th June 2014 at 10:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday77 View Post
I hate kies. ....lol!
There are two threads in General which will help you to update manually.
It was the only suggestion I was given on the AT&T community forums, I thought to at least try it. More of a headache than anything else. Hah!

The only problem is that I don't want to root my phone, like I have done with some of my old phones in the past, since this one is still under contract.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
Try this thread then.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2788012
The Following User Says Thank You to DocHoliday77 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NAiLs00
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Well, I stopped at Best Buy again today to see if they had 4.4.2 available and sure enough, they do. He told me the update came in yesterday. I had him update my phone and I'm happy to say I have KitKat on my SGH-I747.

Everything seems MUCH smoother. Bluetooth actually works and connects on its own (instantly, too), WiFi actually seems to be working instead of saying my connection is unstable, and the phone is overall swifter at tasks like it was prior to 4.3. There is also no annoying lock screen delay like 4.3 introduced for me. So overall, I'm VERY happy with 4.4.2.

... now to see if my battery life improves!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-03-13-43-11.png
Views:	22
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	2831138  

icewebber
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well, I stopped at Best Buy again today to see if they had 4.4.2 available and sure enough, they do. He told me the update came in yesterday. I had him update my phone and I'm happy to say I have KitKat on my SGH-I747.

Everything seems MUCH smoother. Bluetooth actually works and connects on its own (instantly, too), WiFi actually seems to be working instead of saying my connection is unstable, and the phone is overall swifter at tasks like it was prior to 4.3. There is also no annoying lock screen delay like 4.3 introduced for me. So overall, I'm VERY happy with 4.4.2.

... now to see if my battery life improves!
Hi,

I am now living outside US and I have an UNLOCKED S3 i747 and I wanted to update my 4.3 to Kitkat 4.4. Unfortunately, AT&T dont push 4.4 update if you dont have an active AT&T account. Is there a quick and safe way to update without going through AT&T servers?

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5150

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by icewebber View Post
Hi,

I am now living outside US and I have an UNLOCKED S3 i747 and I wanted to update my 4.3 to Kitkat 4.4. Unfortunately, AT&T dont push 4.4 update if you dont have an active AT&T account. Is there a quick and safe way to update without going through AT&T servers?
Already answered this in a different thread. Check the General section.