Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,710 Members 39,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installing (purchased) Airplay app onto Fire TV

Tip us?

WaxRain
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaporic View Post
I have installed the play store on firetv and purchased your app. It works well for airplay mirroring but when I try to airplay videos from my iPhone 5s it buffers constantly even though my internet speed is up to 50 Mbps. What do you suggest?
Hi, do you mean the videos shot by iPhone 5s?
It is at a very high bitrate, at least 8Mbps(1M bytes per second, a 30 seconds video is larger than 40MB). Most of the Wireless environment could not afford such speed. The most important is not the Wireless router itself, but the performance of the Wireless card of Android box.
Maybe you can try to pause on the box for a while ( there is a pause button on our controlling bar if you use the remote controller to bring up the controlling bar) before you play.

I have tested at least 5 Android boxes, while testing, all of my devices is within a distance of 2 meters from the Wireless router:
1) The transfer speed from my iPad2 while sending is about 0.8-1.2M Bytes per second;
2) The speed of 4 of my Android devices while receiving is about 0.6-0.9MB per second, only one reaches 0.9-1.6M per second
so buffering is nearly unavoidable.
By the way, the transfer speed depends on:
1) The performance of Wireless card's CPU;
2) The design of Wireless card's antenna;
3) The encrypt arithmetic: WEP or WPA or OPENED, normally OPENED mode will promote about 10% transfer speed.

tavery
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i was able to minimize the buffering by adjusting the app's buffer size slightly in the settings and by using VLC as an external player -- also configurable in the settings. I was streaming from an iPhone 5s. I do have my Fire TV wired in, but there was a bit of buffering before changing those settings which is now gone.