Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 48,134 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlock S5 From Sprint To Tmobile?

Tip us?

darknatas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Unlock S5 From Sprint To Tmobile?

I recently got the S5 on sprint and im beyond disappointed with sprints new spark and lte network out here in NY. Im considering going to Tmobile since there lte speeds are crazy good and connection is steady out here. My question is can i get my phone unlocked and bring my sprint version phone over to Tmobile? I was told by a Tmobile rep that my phone would go down to 2g speeds and its not guaranteed to even get lte. Which i find hard to believe since since my phone has the option to also go on GSM/UMTS. Whats your guys thoughts on this?
The Following User Says Thank You to darknatas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darknatas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknatas View Post
I recently got the S5 on sprint and im beyond disappointed with sprints new spark and lte network out here in NY. Im considering going to Tmobile since there lte speeds are crazy good and connection is steady out here. My question is can i get my phone unlocked and bring my sprint version phone over to Tmobile? I was told by a Tmobile rep that my phone would go down to 2g speeds and its not guaranteed to even get lte. Which i find hard to believe since since my phone has the option to also go on GSM/UMTS. Whats your guys thoughts on this?
Bump

Vlade12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Smile 19 25996965

Quote:
Bump
Sprint phones cant work with T-Mobile, Sprint blocks other US GSM carriers from using their phone.
Sprint phones can only be used outside of the states

darknatas
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlade12 View Post
Sprint phones cant work with T-Mobile, Sprint blocks other US GSM carriers from using their phone.
So even if i get the phone unlocked i wont be able to use it on tmobile?

SeaFractor
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
So even if i get the phone unlocked i wont be able to use it on tmobile?
Correct. Sprint uses different frequency ranges, so unlocked or not it's just not going to communicate.

ATT and T-Mobile work due to the overlap. In fact, for a while there ATT was going to purchase T-Mobile before the FCC put a halt to that.

Glad too as T-Mobile is now shaking up the market and forcing (encouraging?) Verzion and ATT to try and adopt similar measures in order to maintain customer base.
Current: Samsung Galaxy S5, 16GB with stock ROM
Former iPhone 4 owner on ATT. Switched the week my contract was up to T-Mobile. w00t!
Former Samsung Galaxy SIII SGH-T999, 16GB and 32GB miniSD card, T-mobile with stock ROM
Tablet(s): Google Nexus 10, 32GB with stock ROM, Google Nexus 7, 8GB with stock ROM

bcas9472
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlade12 View Post
I dont think this is correct. Albeit S5 is a different phone, but I unlocked 4 SPH-L720 S4's from Sprint to Tmobile no problem using the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2530610

If S5 could use the same methods, you would get 3G and HSPA+ on the Sprint S5 using a TMobile SIM.

I was able to get LTE using a TMobile SIM on a Sprint S4 by using DFS to edit the NV to enable AWS 1700 LTE Band in NV items, then flashing the TMobile HOS and MODEM bin files - along with copying the *ril*.so libraries to the system/lib directory. This ultimately allowed me to select the LTE/WCDMA/GSM option in Mobile Networks.

Not many people know about this but I found it in an i337 thread on how to unlock AWS on a S4.

kidjolly
Old
Thanks Meter 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcas9472 View Post
I dont think this is correct. Albeit S5 is a different phone, but I unlocked 4 SPH-L720 S4's from Sprint to Tmobile no problem using the following thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2530610

If S5 could use the same methods, you would get 3G and HSPA+ on the Sprint S5 using a TMobile SIM.

I was able to get LTE using a TMobile SIM on a Sprint S4 by using DFS to edit the NV to enable AWS 1700 LTE Band in NV items, then flashing the TMobile HOS and MODEM bin files - along with copying the *ril*.so libraries to the system/lib directory. This ultimately allowed me to select the LTE/WCDMA/GSM option in Mobile Networks.

Not many people know about this but I found it in an i337 thread on how to unlock AWS on a S4.
So you can get full speeds on gsm networks with the sprint version? in the US or out?

Is that right?
With my Siii all up in ya

daluke
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcas9472 View Post

Has anyone comfermed this? To my knowledge the Sprint/Verizon phones are not cross compatable with AT&T and T-mobile. Some verizon phones are the exception but basicily its a no go from CDMA phone to GSM tech.

ashabanf8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default confirm

i can confirm the sprint s4 does work on tmobile with a bit of editing and following the gsm domestic tutorial on xda, however this part about the modem.bin and hlos isnt confirmed and i have done this and ended up hard bricking my devices and had to jtag to repair them. ive tried many times and always bricked so i say no go.

this forum is for the sprint s5 and i would hope we can find a loophole to get it gsm unlocked. any ideas? ive tried a few things but no luck

Crossvxm
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Theres alot of incorrect information here. The latest Sprint phones using sim cards ARE ABLE to use T-Mobile and AT&T as long as GSM is in the hardware. I dont own the S5 but for those blinding others with frequency talk I'm tired of seeing, read it and weep:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4408

Sprint S5 supports GSM. Now of course no LTE on T-Mobile due to the lack of the 1700 frequency,
but your 4G will be fine. Depending on where you live, you may not even care about LTE over 4G.
Sure, Sprint locks the darn thing up to avoid it getting into the hands of other domestic carriers, but
just as the Sprint Note 3 and my Sprint LG G2, a workaround has been invented. For the G2 it was as
"borrowing" the stock T-Mobile LG G2 firmware and tweaking it to boot up on our LS980. We have
about 3 different tastes of working unlocked roms, not only sticking to T-Mobile, but other carriers
reported working such as Metro PCS and AT&T. So my guess is that the S5 may need a similar
treatment, nobody wants Sprint honestly. The first 14 days (brought in my own LG Optimus G LS970)
I was with them service was glorious here in NYC. But after the 14 day "trial period" ended I was
DAMNED into horrible service, constant 3G instead of 4G, etc. Thanks to refusing to make payments
due to the disgusting service, my GS4's IMEI is basically crap, so I sold it in the same week I got it.
I should have never swapped it out for the LG OG...

Honestly, I'll thank every OP I see that "unlocks" the Sprint version of any phone for domestic GSM
use. Their silly Sprint Spark is useless, why introduce something new when they dont even have full
4G coverage here in the USA? And their agents sound like "AI" controlled cyborgs: "Oh we're sorry to
hear that, your zone is scheduled to be recieving 4G soon." Yeah right. I feel sorry for those who suffer
in other states.

ANYWAYS sorry for drifting off topic. The recap here is that the Sprint S5 IS capable of domestic GSM with some modding.
And also that I hate Sprint.
LG G2 (LS980) ***MAIN*** - Stock rooted ZVC

LG G2 (D802) - Stock

LG L70 (MS323) - Stock Rooted

LG Optimus G (LS970) - Stock ZVC Rooted (Replaces my damaged one...)

LG Optimus G (LS970) - Blue Lightning-4.4.2-LS970, Screen cracked...

Galaxy Nexus (Sprint) - AOSB 4.4.2, Sold
HTC One S (S4) - Dark Jelly 2013.10.11 (CM10.2), Sold
Nexus 7 (2012) 16gb - SmoothRom 5.2 w/ M-Kernel, SOLD
Droid X - CM7, Sold!