Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,408 Members 53,392 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to recover data and reset flash counter when phone won't boot

Tip us?

maradamc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for that table! I noticed that link wasn't for the T999, which is why I hesitated to rely on it. IDK why I'm having such a hard time finding info on the T999.

Anyway, I managed to DD every single partition by running:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/storage/extSdCard/aboot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p20 of=/storage/extSdCard/backup.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 of=/storage/extSdCard/boot.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/storage/extSdCard/cache.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=/storage/extSdCard/efs.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 of=/storage/extSdCard/fota.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p21 of=/storage/extSdCard/fsg.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23 of=/storage/extSdCard/grow.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 of=/storage/extSdCard/pad.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/storage/extSdCard/param.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p16 of=/storage/extSdCard/persist.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/storage/extSdCard/recovery.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 of=/storage/extSdCard/rpm.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/storage/extSdCard/sb11.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/storage/extSdCard/sb12.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 of=/storage/extSdCard/sb13.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22 of=/storage/extSdCard/ssd.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 of=/storage/extSdCard/system.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/storage/extSdCard/tz.img
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 of=/storage/extSdCard/userdata.img

For data recovery, I'm running windows and have installed several tools so I'm able to mount the Linux image as a drive.
Cygwin - I've only played with basics in *nix terminal but am comfortable using command prompt
Ext2Fsd
DiskInternals (Linux Reader & Recovery)
OSFMount

I'll tally up the data recovery/carving tools I've downloaded and tried. Now that I have the images dumped, I'm installing ICS 4.0.4 in an attempt to get USB drive access and try the data recovery software directly against the device.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,878

DONATE TO ME
It may seem difficult to find info on the T999, but a lot of that is due to it being posted in other S3 forums. All US S3's are similar enough that most information applies to all of them. The partition table is one of these. They all are partitioned exactly the same.

Btw, when looking for the internal sdcard data, it will be in the /data/media folder. So in the image just look for the media folder.

maradamc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I will remember that. Any suggestions where to track down /storage/emulated/0/sounds/ from a partition perspective?

I just finished flashing down to ICS 4.0.4. Even though Odin said it was successful, it's hanging on boot-up at the pulsing Samsung logo just like when this whole mess started. Time for another Factory Reset... not like I can do any more harm.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,878

DONATE TO ME
/storage/emulated/0 = /data/media

maradamc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Nice! My list of pulled partitions matches the one you provided. Glad to know I was on the right track.

So now I have Android 4.0.4 installed on my device. The problem I have now is that the device isn't recognized in Windows and I can't find a driver for it to work. I've tried Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0 and v1.5.42.0 - no go. Also tried the ADT driver (android_winusb.inf), still no go. Also tried the driver bundled with the Unified Android Toolkit (by SkipSoft, an XDA dev'r) - no luck. Any suggestions? It must be a driver that supports the old USB Drive mode instead of MTP.

For others who might try this downgrade, I rebooted the device into Download mode and during installation, Odin kept getting an error before finishing. I think it was because I was trying to multitask on the computer because once I let Odin do its thing with and stepped away from the PC, the installation completed successfully. Reboots then kept freezing up but a Factory Reset resolved that.

DocHoliday77
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,878

DONATE TO ME
The S3 never supported using UMS (USB drive), so using different driver versions won't make any difference there. Im honestly not sure if anyone's ever found a way to do this at all. Other than the Easy UMS app.