Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,266 Members 47,187 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Restore SGH-I747M Rogers Galaxy S3 to stock firmware with Black Edition Firmware

Tip us?

justein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Restore SGH-I747M Rogers Galaxy S3 to stock firmware with Black Edition Firmware

Hi, I just checked on samfirmware.com and found that they only carry firmwares for the SGH-I747M Black Edition. Will these firmwares work on my white Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M on Rogers? Thanks for the help.

I can't get a link to the site, but if you go there and click on firmware database and select SGH-I747M the Rogers Black Edition will appear in the list. For the record, the PDA of the white SGH-I747M firmware I'm currently on and the SGH-I747M Black Editon firmware (the matching version that I am on) do match.

HiKsFiles
Old
Thanks Meter 157

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justein View Post
Hi, I just checked on samfirmware.com and found that they only carry firmwares for the SGH-I747M Black Edition. Will these firmwares work on my white Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M on Rogers? Thanks for the help.

I can't get a link to the site, but if you go there and click on firmware database and select SGH-I747M the Rogers Black Edition will appear in the list. For the record, the PDA of the white SGH-I747M firmware I'm currently on and the SGH-I747M Black Editon firmware (the matching version that I am on) do match.
It's running quite nice on my blue S3... but on a white one?!
Samsung Galaxy S3 i747m 32Gb + 64Gb ext. SD
Stock TW Kit Kat 4.4.2 + root + Xposed + Wanam
Daily driver phone
Samsung Galaxy S i9000m 16Gb + 16Gb ext. SD
Slim Kat & Semaphore JB kernel
Backup & flash addiction relief phone

norbarb
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiKsFiles View Post
It's running quite nice on my blue S3... but on a white one?!
Lol.....

Swiping from dark side of Galaxy S5.

justein
Old
(Last edited by justein; 27th June 2014 at 11:30 PM.) Reason: grammar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It may seem like a stupid question, but I assumed that Black Edition made the firmware different, because if it didn't wouldn't it just be labeled "SGH-I747M"?...

norbarb
Old
Thanks Meter 718

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by justein View Post
It may seem like a stupid question, but I assumed that Black Edition made the firmware different, because if it didn't wouldn't it just be labeled "SGH-I747M"?...
Can you post build number for your phone. Please

Swiping from dark side of Galaxy S5.

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 432

DONATE TO ME
I too have seen this mention of "Black Edition" for other Canadian CSC firmwares on Sammobile, I figure it's more of a labelling mistake, or something used in other countries where they sell the "M" variant.
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs), Motorola XT-1045 Moto G LTE (TWRP)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM), Motorola XT-1032 Moto G.
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G

Grospolina
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I picked up "Canada (Rogers) (Black Edition)" from sammobile and flashed it onto my white Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M from Rogers and it works fine. I was previously on 4.3.
  • Flashed I747MVLUFNE6 using Odin v3.09
  • Factory reset (wipe data)
  • Rooted using towelroot from towelroot.com
  • Installed SuperSU by Chainfire
  • Flashed TWRP using "ROM Installer" by JRummy Apps
  • Installed busybox by stericson
  • Installed KT747 kernel (Touchwiz KitKat 05-13-2014 version)
It doesn't say anything about being "Black Edition" anywhere in the ROM (including build.prop) and I don't notice anything special about it, so I agree that it's probably a labeling mistake.

I was previously having issues because I hadn't wiped data. I thought flashing the ROM would have done it for me, but it didn't. I also did a wipe through TWRP (the default wipe) and it still didn't do it. After properly wiping data and setting everything back up, everything was fixed. The problem that I was having was that certain apps would be unable to save onto the internal SD. I couldn't install busybox, my music player would always start from the same song, and Dolphin couldn't save any downloaded files. Wiping app cache and app data didn't do anything.

The only issue I'm having right now is that music over Bluetooth skips. I always have Bluetooth problems.

It's version I747MVLUFNE6. I just noticed that new version I747MVLUFNF2 was posted recently. Guess I'll have to try that out.