When ever I move something to my external sd card it seems to go somewhere and I can'

OP gscarborough

28th June 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atl
Thanks Meter: 43

138 posts
More
I tried freeing up space on internal memory by moving pictures,videos and apps to external card when I fix I lost pictures and apps show up in the app drawer but they are greyed out and say not installed. Anyone no why

Sent from my 831C using XDA Free mobile app
30th June 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 38

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarborough

I tried freeing up space on internal memory by moving pictures,videos and apps to external card when I fix I lost pictures and apps show up in the app drawer but they are greyed out and say not installed. Anyone no why

What are you using to move them? Is this just on stock ROM? Are you rooted? More details, please.
1st July 2014, 04:19 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atl

138 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbrady

What are you using to move them? Is this just on stock ROM? Are you rooted? More details, please.

rooted S-off and on stock rom. ive used es file explorer and htc free space to move the items.
1st July 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 38

153 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscarborough

rooted S-off and on stock rom. ive used es file explorer and htc free space to move the items.

Ok so you're not using an app designed specifically for moving other apps/etc to your SD then. With that being the case you'll need to be very careful in where you're pulling the data from if you expect it to continue functioning as it used to.

You mentioned initially that your moved pictures and videos still show up in the app drawer but are greyed out and say not installed....this is a bit confusing as pictures and videos are usually just single file images or single file video clips and would not ever actually show up in the app drawer and are instead accessed via an app from the app drawer like Gallery or Google Photos, etc. Generally speaking, the apps themselves are usually much smaller than the total amount of space taken up by your videos or (if you have a lot) pictures....you don't even need that many pictures to start adding up to a respectable size if they are all High Quality images.

So, I would recommend you attempt to undo the moves you've made thus far (though if you can't get the apps to show back up as normal then just reinstall them then clean your SD card and internal memory with a junk cleaner) and focus solely on ".img, .png, .mov, .mp3, .gif, .jpeg, .mp4" or any other similarly formatted files if you're doing the moves freely with a root explorer like ES.

If you really want to move your apps over, or at least some of them, try using an app specifically designed for that purpose as this will hopefully ensure they continue to function after the move.....If you're on the stock ROM you should be able to move the apps just by going to Settings > Storage I think or Settings > Apps. One of those two (pretty sure it's storage but I'm on AOSP rom atm so can't check sry) and then click on one of your apps you should get options to Force Quit, Clear Cache, Clear Data then below those you should see a Move to SD option.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I wasn't clear enough or you have further questions^^
The Following User Says Thank You to slimbrady For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd July 2014, 11:39 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atl

138 posts
More
No you were very clear I wasn't clear when I said the pictures and videos in the app drawer I should have said from the gallery they where showing up as an empty space Now I believe my card was just going corrupt because it's corrupted now

4th July 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #6  
Flag Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 123

485 posts
More
i have this issue as well. When i transfer files like pictures and music from my internal to my external it says its transferred which is cool but when i reboot the device the files are gone. I have tried the sd card fix apps in the play store and it says its fixed but obviously not. It wont let me format either on the computer or on the phone or it says it does but it actually doesnt. So i have lost all hope on what to do i dont want to buy another card if this is going to happen to it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread