Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] RaspControl - Remote control for Raspberry

Tip us?

ercea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default [APP] RaspControl - Remote control for Raspberry

Title

Introduction:

Hi guys, first all, sorry my English. My name is Jesus and I have a Raspberry for several months. It has passed for many stages (multimedia center, retro games center, etc.). Now, it's my experiments center .

I would like to present you an Android application that took weeks to develop (and many months in my mind to develop :P). I called it RaspControl and, simply, connects your phone to your Pi, via SSH, for remote control.

Features:

RaspControl sets connection with your Raspberry, via SSH, anywhere. If you Raspberry has external conection, you can control it outside (obviously )

RaspControl has three sections: Status, Explorer and Terminal
  • Status
    • Get your Raspberry's information, for example, running processes, available memory, network status, temperature, etc.
    • Allows restart and shutdown your Raspberry remotely.
    • Allows mount and dismount drives and filesystems remotely.
  • Explorer
    • RaspControl includes a simple file explorer, in order to send and receive files local and remotely.
    • Allows copy, cut, paste and delete folders and files from your smartphone.
    • Allows send folders and files from your smartphone to your Raspberry.
    • Allows copy, cut, paste and delete folders and files from your Raspberry remotely.
    • Allows receive folders and files from your Raspberry to your smartphone.
    • Allows download files to your Raspberry, setting the download link.
  • Terminal
    • RaspControl includes a simple console terminal, where you can have a full control for your Raspberry anywhere.
    • It has a commands used history (up to 100 commands).
    • To navigate through the command history, you can use volume keys, from your smartphone.
    • NEW!: Now, you can clear your command history
    • NEW!: Now, you can create custom commands and use it in Terminal!

Supported languages:
  • English (by default)
  • Spanish

Quote:
Nothing more at this moment, but, I would like add more sections/functions in future to improve the app. I have some ideas (for example, a XBMC remote control) but I have to think it well; first, if can be do it; second, if I can do it and, finally, if it's useful.

Requirementsto work correctly:

RaspControl needs the following to work correctly:
  • A SSH server: Most Raspberry's distributions has a SSH server installed. Otherwise, you can install the openssh package.
  • To show bandwith correctly, it's neccesary have installed the ifstat package.

Screenshots:
Screenshots1
Screenshots2

A last point:

This app was designed to use on Raspberrys, but, "accidentally", you can use it on any Linux distribution, provided you have a SSH server installed (is the app's core to work :P). I've tested with a pair of VM, a Arch distro and a Mint distro, and works without problems.

And, well, surely the app could have some errors to fix (many people have not tried), so, any comment is appreciated (assume ). For example, at this moment, I can say that connection sometimes is slow, all depends the network quality and smartphone, but, additionally, it has an extra time to SSH connection (compression data, validation, etc.). So, if you change section, while RaspControl is connecting to Raspberry, sometimes app could FC (force close). I've improved and optimized some code and I tought that I fixed it... but sometimes could FC . So I'm trying to fix this to make it more stable, also, I would like to improve it for tablets. It is not ugly, but not pretty :P

I hope you find it useful and you like it. Please, be not cruel :P, it's my second "formal" Android app and I'm still in the learning stage . I am currently looking for a job and I'm doing this to improve professionally (and improve my resume too :P).

Link:

Finally, here you are!:

Google Play download link

Kind regards!

XDA:DevDB Information
RaspControl, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
ercea

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-06-25

Created 2014-06-28
Last Updated 2014-07-04
The Following User Says Thank You to ercea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ercea
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Changelog:

Version 1.2.1:

Main Window:
  • Changed "About" dialog
Terminal -> Custom Commands:
  • Added a confirm dialog before delete a custom command
  • Added custom commands help demo screen

Version 1.2:

Main Window:
  • Deleted connection dialog removed (now, using a simple better way).
State:
  • Fixed OFF state when is connected
  • Added a confirm dialog before mount/dismount filesystems
Explorer:
  • Fixed continuous "Go-Back" when Back button pressed
Terminal:
  • Added "Refresh" button to reconnect with remote PC
  • Added "Clear history" command in context menu
  • Added "Custom Commands" section, to create/edit/delete custom commands and use it in Terminal.
  • Improved terminal output, using a handler.

Version 1.0:

First version of RaspControl

ercea
Old
(Last edited by ercea; 4th July 2014 at 07:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Hey guys, recently, I've updated to 1.2.1 version, please, check Changelog to see the changes and improvements I hope you like the application ^^

Regards!
Tags
linux, raspberry, raspberry pi, remote control, ssh