Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,156 Members 46,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone says "Type password to decrypt storage". PLEASE HELP I'm out of ideas

Tip us?

hobs94
Old
(Last edited by hobs94; 13th May 2014 at 04:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Phone says "Type password to decrypt storage". PLEASE HELP I'm out of ideas

I was running the new liquid smooth, when I rebooted my phone it booted up and then took me to a screen that says "type password to decrypt storage". I've never encrypted my storage and have no password.

I rebooted into TWRP to restore a backup, but it won't mount my internal storage and it says 0mb as if it's not even there. Then I tried to flash the GPE RUU, it sends the file but then when its time write it it won't mount the system. I also tried side loading the ROM and it won't mount either.

someone please help me.

EDIT: fixed the issue. Very simple actually. make sure you are bootloader unlocked and have TWRP as recovery.

Boot into recovery>Wipe>Format Data>type in "yes">Go to main menu>Install>check to make sure it says 'xxxxx mb' (x is a placeholder for numbers. for example, when i had my problem my internal storage said 0mb)>go to advanced>adb sideload>check both boxes>swype to start sideload>sideload the rom from your computer

This is also very helpful if you wipe your system and have no ROM to flash. Same steps apply
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hobs94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fmedrano1977
Old
Thanks Meter 441
fastboot format userdata would get the job done too

N7
The Following User Says Thank You to fmedrano1977 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

treIII
Old
Thanks Meter 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobs94 View Post
I was running the new liquid smooth, when I rebooted my phone it booted up and then took me to a screen that says "type password to decrypt storage". I've never encrypted my storage and have no password.

I rebooted into TWRP to restore a backup, but it won't mount my internal storage and it says 0mb as if it's not even there. Then I tried to flash the GPE RUU, it sends the file but then when its time write it it won't mount the system. I also tried side loading the ROM and it won't mount either.

someone please help me.

EDIT: fixed the issue. Very simple actually. make sure you are bootloader unlocked and have TWRP as recovery.

Boot into recovery>Wipe>Format Data>type in "yes">Go to main menu>Install>check to make sure it says 'xxxxx mb' (x is a placeholder for numbers. for example, when i had my problem my internal storage said 0mb)>go to advanced>adb sideload>check both boxes>swype to start sideload>sideload the rom from your computer

This is also very helpful if you wipe your system and have no ROM to flash. Same steps apply
I've had this problem. To solve it which took me some thought I went to root explorer and mounted as root then booted into recovery and everything was back.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

droidrev71
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobs94 View Post

someone please help me.

Thanks. Your solution was the only one that worked. I just used otg instead of adb sideload because my device wasn't reconized.
Nexus 7 (unlocked and rooted)
Nexus 7 2013 (unlocked and rooted)
HTC ONE M8 (s-off)
LG G2 (rooted and recovery)
ONEPLUS ONE (shipped)
Black LG G3 (rooted)
BLK Galaxy S5 http://swappa.com/listing/ELU096/view
3 Chromecast

hobs94
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidrev71 View Post
Thanks. Your solution was the only one that worked. I just used otg instead of adb sideload because my device wasn't reconized.
No problem man. Glad to be of help, I know how ****ing frustrating device errors are.

angelo91311
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Guys i need help asap plz so i installed a rom to my htc m8 and im guessing in the setting the fastboot is on and i cant turn it on because the phone wont load it say " phone has stopped unexpectedly" says the same thing for blinkfeed its just a black screen in the background and in the bottom left it says safe mode also i cant reboot into recovery pleaseee please help ASAP i need my phone back up and running

tmorterlaing
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Sorry to drag this thread from the depths of history, but I'm just wondering if anyone ever worked out WHY this happens? It's a massive pain in the ass (happened to me today, couldn't work out how I'd somehow added a storage password with the device in my pocket...)
Is it more likely to be a Rom thing or is it just an unfortunate side effect of rooting/ unlocking the phone?