Remove "What's New" Button

Search This thread

iDroid7

Jan 8, 2012
In Android 4.4 Sony has introduced the "What's New" Button.
It is on the same arc as the Google now button when swiping up from the home button.

What annoys me is that now the now button is off to the right with the what's new button occupying the left side of the half circle.

If any one knows a way to disable the What's New button and have the google now back in the center, please tell me.

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
It is on the same arc as the Google now button when swiping up from the home button.

What annoys me is that now the now button is off to the right with the what's new button occupying the left side of the half circle.

If any one knows a way to disable the What's New button and have the google now back in the center, please tell me.

Delete/uninstall what's new app...

2ety9u9u.jpg

Member of Recognized MoonBreakers

Reactions: leocooper

funky0308

Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
Doesn't work.
Disabling the app is greyed out.

Is there root for Z2 already?

Sorry mate...
I'm on Tapatalk and only now I see rhis is Z2 thread.

I thought it's Z1... Sorry...

When/if someone root Z2 firmware you could, of course, do that...

Member of Recognized MoonBreakers

nbmaltais

May 2, 2014

Maybe this app can fix this: Home Button Launcher?
It's on the play store. The forum won't allow me to paste the URL, sorry.

I do not have a xperia z2 to test it.

raducanmihai

Aug 24, 2011
Brașov
No, it does' work. I mean, the app works but it replaces the Google Now with this app. So when you swipe from the bottom you have on the left "What's New" and on the right what ever you set up with this app.

schallwert

Jan 6, 2012
Reactions: gork1975

JMonkeYJ

Jul 22, 2008
What does the swipe up from home button area look like after removing What's New? Is there only the Google icon? Is it centered? Just curious....

funky0308

Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
If you root your device you can delete what ever you want from system/app and priv-app folder.

Of course, watch what are you doing, don't delete system files (Google advance debloating for that)

You can delete Google now as well, what's new and many other things.

Your device will be faster and boot tume will be significantly improved..

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

seventieslord

May 12, 2011
Since i got root now, i uninstalled it via "Titanium Backup". And yes, only Google icon and centered.

that's what it looks like for me now too. Is there any way to throw something else in there in place of what's new or google? Kind of a handly way to have a shortcut, but I see no way to customize it, unless I'm missing something.

funky0308

Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
that's what it looks like for me now too. Is there any way to throw something else in there in place of what's new or google? Kind of a handly way to have a shortcut, but I see no way to customize it, unless I'm missing something.

No, you can't just add it.
We could build mod but as we have PIE toolbar in GravityBox - use that.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

akk2

Nov 7, 2010
get it done without root

I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

So here is the solution without root

1) run adb (I assume you have a working adb)
2) adb shell
3) pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
4) reboot
5) Done!

And Please "Thanks" me if this works for you.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    get it done without root

I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

That worked Perfectly!! thanks dude.

One question though, what would be the reverse of the "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" cmd, so the whatsnew button would re-appear? Just in-case i need to send my phone in for repairs......again :(

And for those wanting an absolute noob explanation:
    1: download adb (I cant post outside links yet, so just google this, there should be 3 files in a zip)
    2: store it in the root of C:\
    3: go into your phone Settings>about Phone>then click like 10 times on the 'build number' box until you are granted developer privileges
    4: go into your phone Settings>Developer Options>and enable USB debugging and connect your phone to the computer
    3: open cmd in administrator mode
    4: navigate to the folder with adb by typing the following: cd c:\adb
    5: type the following then press enter: adb shell
    6: type the following then press enter pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
    7: reboot
    I've tried to remove on a rooted 402 rom using both ES file explorer and titanium backup without success, they both say uninstall failed. :(

install this app from paly store then uninstall what you want

i uninstall "What's New" from this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ljmobile.system.app
    What does the swipe up from home button area look like after removing What's New? Is there only the Google icon? Is it centered? Just curious....

Since i got root now, i uninstalled it via "Titanium Backup". And yes, only Google icon and centered.
    D
    Deleted member 3358925

2) adb shell
    4) reboot
    5) Done!

Thanks! That worked great.
    Looks like you can also disable the Small Apps widget and launcher like this as well :D