Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,528 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MHL to RCA?

Tip us?

breezeli
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default MHL to RCA?

Howdy,

I have a dvd player in my VW camper, is there a cable anyone could recommend to go from MHL to RCA? Will it work on a custom ROM? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. Thanks!
AT&T Note II - EZKat

OvrDriVE
Old
(Last edited by OvrDriVE; 26th May 2014 at 07:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeli View Post
Howdy,

I have a dvd player in my VW camper, is there a cable anyone could recommend to go from MHL to RCA? Will it work on a custom ROM? There's a lot of conflicting info out there. Thanks!
you can do a search on amazon for a mhl 2 rca and come up with a few results for that cable. and as far as custom roms go. i would imagine it would work on a touchwiz based rom(jedimasterx2 would be a good example here) as far as the likes of non touchwiz based roms(ie. aokp) it wouldn't work as allshare is not included. hopefully i answered your question. can't tell ya much more then that. maybe someone else can chime in on the cable who has maybe purchased one. i unfortunately only have the mhl2hdmi not the rca varient so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OvrDriVE For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

breezeli
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a dvd player/in dash receiver, so it has rca aux inputs. I looked into those cables and a lot of reviews say they don't work and a few actually say it won't work with custom roms, which to me sounds kinda strange.
AT&T Note II - EZKat

sotodefonk
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeli View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a dvd player/in dash receiver, so it has rca aux inputs. I looked into those cables and a lot of reviews say they don't work and a few actually say it won't work with custom roms, which to me sounds kinda strange.
it wont work with a simple cable.

MHL only outputs digital signal so no analog RCA, you need something to convert it with a scan converter from HDMI to RCA, which require external power.

Also it wont work on customs roms because MHL uses proprietary drivers and only works on stock roms.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sotodefonk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

breezeli
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotodefonk View Post
it wont work with a simple cable.

MHL only outputs digital signal so no analog RCA, you need something to convert it with a scan converter from HDMI to RCA, which require external power.

Also it wont work on customs roms because MHL uses proprietary drivers and only works on stock roms.
That's what I feared. Thanks for the confirmation.
AT&T Note II - EZKat

gauravkohli
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I wish such a cable or some workaround existed, I would've been able to hook up my Note 2 to my car's Pioneer touchscreen system

gksmith
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I got an mhl to HDMI adapter and then a HDMI to rca converter from Monoprice. Works perfect

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
- Glenn (Still working on my super powers!)