Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,210 Members 48,434 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problem with constant restarts

Tip us?
 
pastorbob62
Old
#1  
pastorbob62's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 265
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Palmyra
Default Problem with constant restarts

My wife's 7" Kindle Fire HD keeps rebooting into the TWRP recovery. I had rooted it and installed a custom ROM several months ago, but could never get it stable and working correctly. So I gave up and restored the original images backup and all was well for several months. She used it quite regularly without issues.

Then a couple of weeks ago, she would charge it up 100%, use it to read then go to bed. By the next evening it would be as dead as a door nail. So thinking it was a bad battery I did some investigating and found that when she puts it into standby mode it will eventually reboot and go into TWRP. Of course it never enters sleep mode while on the recovery screen and the battery will eventually run down.

A couple of notes - If I reboot it to the system from TWRP but never unlock the screen it never reboots to recovery. Only when I unlock the screen and enter the Home screen, or open ANY program will it eventually reboot to TWRP.

I am suspecting that some program updated itself and that is causing the problem, but since she has numerous programs and I had auto update installed it is impossible to know which one is the culprit.

It is running software version 7.4.8_user_4849020, TWRP 2.6.3.1

Has anybody seen this issue? Any suggestions?
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140716
Kernel: _thatV10

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”
 
SafinWasi
Old
#2  
SafinWasi's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 153
Posts: 347
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Unknown
Amazon'n software doesn't want to play nice with the 2nd bootloader and recovery. I suggest you to flash a custom rom like CM. The unofficial builds and monthly snapshots are pretty stable.
Oh,and you need to upgrade TWRP to 2.7.0.0 to install CM 11.
PHP Code:
//This is in C++,not PHP
#include<iostream>
#include<string>
#include<xda>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    
string name="SafinWasi"
    
string status="Senior Member";
    if(
I helped you){
        
cout<<"Please hit the Thanks Button!\n";
    }
    return 
0;
}
void Devices()
{
    
string Device="Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7";
    
string ROM="CyanogenMod 11 Nightly";
    
string Kernel_Version="3.0.72+";
    
string Recovery="TWRP 2.7.0.0";

The Following User Says Thank You to SafinWasi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pastorbob62
Old
#3  
pastorbob62's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 265
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Palmyra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafinWasi View Post
Amazon'n software doesn't want to play nice with the 2nd bootloader and recovery. I suggest you to flash a custom rom like CM. The unofficial builds and monthly snapshots are pretty stable.
Oh,and you need to upgrade TWRP to 2.7.0.0 to install CM 11.
Not going to happen. I went down that obstacle course several months ago and had nothing but problems with CM. Never could get the tablet stable and working in spite of following all of the suggestions and tweaks.. That is why I went back to stock. It worked without issues for several months so as far as I'm concerned it is a problem that can be fixed. It is just going to take me a while to solve it. In the meantime, it seems that as long as she is in the Kindle Reader software and actively using it the reboot doesn't happen. If it gets to where it is not usable I'll just bite the bullet and buy her a new tablet.
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140716
Kernel: _thatV10

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”
 
Ph0enix_216
Old
#4  
Ph0enix_216's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 88
Posts: 395
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: /system/xbin/su
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbob62 View Post
Not going to happen. I went down that obstacle course several months ago and had nothing but problems with CM. Never could get the tablet stable and working in spite of following all of the suggestions and tweaks.. That is why I went back to stock. It worked without issues for several months so as far as I'm concerned it is a problem that can be fixed. It is just going to take me a while to solve it. In the meantime, it seems that as long as she is in the Kindle Reader software and actively using it the reboot doesn't happen. If it gets to where it is not usable I'll just bite the bullet and buy her a new tablet.
So far no one has found a way around Amazon's bootloader checks, so there's no way to solve it. And CM has become much much more stable now (we're considered official now ). So CM may be worth another go

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<


Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: Stock
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: PhilZ Touch CWM Advanced Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to Ph0enix_216 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
pastorbob62
Old
#5  
pastorbob62's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 265
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Palmyra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216 View Post
So far no one has found a way around Amazon's bootloader checks, so there's no way to solve it. And CM has become much much more stable now (we're considered official now ). So CM may be worth another go

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<
Hmmmm. Well, I may give this a shot after I replace her Kindle for her. I have about $100.00 in my Amazon account that I can apply to the price of a new tablet (not another Kindle, she wants a REAL Android device ). Then I can experiment as much as I desire and if things go badly, she will still have a tablet.

Thank you for the feedback!
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140716
Kernel: _thatV10

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”
 
Bao289
Old
#6  
Bao289's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbob62 View Post
Hmmmm. Well, I may give this a shot after I replace her Kindle for her. I have about $100.00 in my Amazon account that I can apply to the price of a new tablet (not another Kindle, she wants a REAL Android device ). Then I can experiment as much as I desire and if things go badly, she will still have a tablet.

Thank you for the feedback!
Cm11 has changed ALOT in the past 9 months. It's very stable, and has the latest android version 4.4.4. Also think about upgrading your Twrp version to 2.7.0.
 
pastorbob62
Old
#7  
pastorbob62's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 74
Posts: 265
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Palmyra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao289 View Post
Cm11 has changed ALOT in the past 9 months. It's very stable, and has the latest android version 4.4.4. Also think about upgrading your Twrp version to 2.7.0.
Upgrading to TWRP 2.7.0 is understood. I had to do that in order to run a Kit-Kat based ROM on my Asus TF300. (Which, by the way, is MUCH easier to customize than this Kindle.)

The main problem I previously had with CM was getting the Kindle app to work without crashing and causing a reboot. or locking the tablet up. Has that issue been resolved?
Asus Transformer TF300T
ROM: CROMBi-kk 20140716
Kernel: _thatV10

Asus Transformer TF700T - Stock

Huawei U8800-51
ROM: MIUI multilingual ForEver 2.3.7

Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duo GT-I9192 - Rooted - stock with bloat removed

“The best exercise for the human heart is reaching down to lift someone else up.”
 
Bao289
Old
#8  
Bao289's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorbob62 View Post
Upgrading to TWRP 2.7.0 is understood. I had to do that in order to run a Kit-Kat based ROM on my Asus TF300. (Which, by the way, is MUCH easier to customize than this Kindle.)

The main problem I previously had with CM was getting the Kindle app to work without crashing and causing a reboot. or locking the tablet up. Has that issue been resolved?
Yes that issue has been resolved. Hascode changed the build prop file to make amazon apps work. I can acess books, apps but NOT prime videos.
 
LinearEquation
Old
#9  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 400
Posts: 1,683
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
NO one can access Prime videos outside of a Kindle OS. It seems like the one thing devs can't crack yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more

Play Your Hits and Learn the Lyrics with NextGen Music Player

There are plenty of music players for Android available in Play Store. They … more

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more