Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,012 Members 53,850 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New Z1 Compact owner many questions HELP ME OH MIGHY ONES

Tip us?
 
mentalghost
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 145
Join Date: Mar 2012
Exclamation [Q] New Z1 Compact owner many questions HELP ME OH MIGHY ONES

So after having my Xperia S for the last 2 years decided enough was enough with the WiFi problem GUESS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GO TO SELL IT. The ****ing WiFi decided to work and continues to stay on. Starts to work with no reason after the amount of BS and problems I have had over the last 2 to 3 months trying many custom roms kernels and stock roms nothing working then all of a sudden bam it works when selling.
Phone must have a mind of its own saying ill work ill work don't sell me DONT SELL lol. I managed to get £140.00 exchange towards the z1 compact anyone think that was worth it?? £140 on exchange for the Xperia S 32Gig version. The Xperia z1 compact was £225 cash price with trade in paid £85 total 2nd. Also comes with 1 years guarantee with it and wasn't expecting any guarantee with a 2nd hand phone but cant grumble you don't get that on E of the Bay lol

Now comes my questions.

1 Can you change the glass on front without having to change touch screen or is this part of it? Not that I need it now but if brake in future I know.

2 Can you change the Back cover. Could do with changing as scratched to the max.
3 Can you buy the sides or full housing for the phone?
4 Can this phone be unlocked with software free. Or is it a matter of off to an unlock site and buy credit to do so or take down to local market?
5 How easy is it to unlock bootloader and root phone. Are they any versions to lookout for as I had in past with some phones had problems unlocking bootloader and had to remain on locked.. Is it just a matter of grabbing flashtool and unlocking or is their more to it with much newer handsets now?

Now on to the earphone jack and speaker at bottom of phone. The phone does say it is water proof however I do not see how it is when speaker and also earphone jack are not covered by any protective covers. Does this have some sort of seal within it to make water proof?

Thanks in advance.
 
hol17
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 449
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalghost View Post
So after having my Xperia S for the last 2 years decided enough was enough with the WiFi problem GUESS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GO TO SELL IT. The ****ing WiFi decided to work and continues to stay on. Starts to work with no reason after the amount of BS and problems I have had over the last 2 to 3 months trying many custom roms kernels and stock roms nothing working then all of a sudden bam it works when selling.
Phone must have a mind of its own saying ill work ill work don't sell me DONT SELL lol. I managed to get £140.00 exchange towards the z1 compact anyone think that was worth it?? £140 on exchange for the Xperia S 32Gig version. The Xperia z1 compact was £225 cash price with trade in paid £85 total 2nd. Also comes with 1 years guarantee with it and wasn't expecting any guarantee with a 2nd hand phone but cant grumble you don't get that on E of the Bay lol

Now comes my questions.

1 Can you change the glass on front without having to change touch screen or is this part of it? Not that I need it now but if brake in future I know.

2 Can you change the Back cover. Could do with changing as scratched to the max.
3 Can you buy the sides or full housing for the phone?
4 Can this phone be unlocked with software free. Or is it a matter of off to an unlock site and buy credit to do so or take down to local market?
5 How easy is it to unlock bootloader and root phone. Are they any versions to lookout for as I had in past with some phones had problems unlocking bootloader and had to remain on locked.. Is it just a matter of grabbing flashtool and unlocking or is their more to it with much newer handsets now?

Now on to the earphone jack and speaker at bottom of phone. The phone does say it is water proof however I do not see how it is when speaker and also earphone jack are not covered by any protective covers. Does this have some sort of seal within it to make water proof?

Thanks in advance.
I can answer 2, 4, and 5 for you.

2 - Yes, you can change the back cover. Lots of users are doing it currently. Can check out the thread:

4 - Phone is already unlocked for any SIM so don't worry about that

5 - Sony provides instructions directly on their website for unlocking the bootloader. Rooting is really simple as like most devices, you just flash SuperSU.

If you don't want to unlock the bootloader but root your phone, it can take some extra work.

Waterproof - The headphone jack is internally sealed and the speaker grill has a membrane.

Sent from my Z1C "Pocket Rocket"
HTC Magic (G1) >> Galaxy S >> Galaxy Nexus >> Nexus 4 >> Z1 Compact

[ROM]: RomAur v3.0
[KERNEL]: DooMKernel v17
 
Rekoil
Old
#3  
Rekoil's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 359
Posts: 980
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Göteborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by hol17 View Post
4 - Phone is already unlocked for any SIM so don't worry about that
How would you know that his is unlocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hol17 View Post
5 - Sony provides instructions directly on their website for unlocking the bootloader. Rooting is really simple as like most devices, you just flash SuperSU.
Might be good to mention to @mentalghost that in order to restore the phone to a completely factory state further down the line you'll need a backup of your TA partition. There are guides explaining how to do that here on xda.
sony xperia z1 compact d5503 lime green

previous phones
sony xperia z1 c6903 metallic purple - screen cracked, broken digitizer
sony xperia z c6603 royal purple - faulty backplate, returned
samsung galaxy s3 lte (gt-i9305n) marble white - sold... no more samsungs for me
htc one x glacier white - dead :'(
apple iphone 4s white - sold
 
hol17
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 87
Posts: 449
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekoil View Post
How would you know that his is unlocked?



Might be good to mention to @mentalghost that in order to restore the phone to a completely factory state further down the line you'll need a backup of your TA partition. There are guides explaining how to do that here on xda.
I haven't found a single locked Z1C online and no one has reported one being locked. If it is, just a local store or an online site.

As for the TA keys, guide is here:

Sent from my Z1C "Pocket Rocket"
HTC Magic (G1) >> Galaxy S >> Galaxy Nexus >> Nexus 4 >> Z1 Compact

[ROM]: RomAur v3.0
[KERNEL]: DooMKernel v17
 
mentalghost
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 145
Join Date: Mar 2012
thx guys however my phone is locked to o2 and also checked status on phone that bootloader lock status is NO. Is their a way around this?
 
Frunzdoedel
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 15
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Offenbach
No

Sent from my D5503 using xda premium
 
Rekoil
Old
#7  
Rekoil's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 359
Posts: 980
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Göteborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalghost View Post
thx guys however my phone is locked to o2 and also checked status on phone that bootloader lock status is NO. Is their a way around this?
No, you will most likely never ever be able to unlock that phone. The only possibility is if O2 has some kind of code they can give you to unlock the device (not sure if this is possible). Otherwise I would suggest returning it and buying one from Clove or CarPhoneWarehouse or something, as theirs are neither locked nor bootloader unlock disallowed.
sony xperia z1 compact d5503 lime green

previous phones
sony xperia z1 c6903 metallic purple - screen cracked, broken digitizer
sony xperia z c6603 royal purple - faulty backplate, returned
samsung galaxy s3 lte (gt-i9305n) marble white - sold... no more samsungs for me
htc one x glacier white - dead :'(
apple iphone 4s white - sold

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more

Android 4.4.3 Begins Rolling Out to European HTC One M8

Shortly after the USA Unlocked and Developer Editions of the HTC One M8 received the … more

Modernize Your Emails with Email Popup

SMS andHangouts messages likely won’t ever replace traditional Emails for more formal … more

Change Your Toast Notification Style with XToast

Android uses multipletypes of notifications. One of these isknown as a toast notification. … more