Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,956 Members 43,519 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Smart band question?

Tip us?

ksekhar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Smart band question?

Hello existing smartband owners/users,

Those who received Smart Band and are using it already, can you guys please let me know if it is good and worth getting one?

My Z2 comes with only noise cancelling headphones and no band. I like the concept of Smart Band but only disappointment is it is lacking display. I use Fitbit Force today and it is great. Now wondering if I should switch to SmartBand as I'll get Z2.

Questions:
1. Is Smart Band worth getting?
2. If 1st question is hard to answer, just tell me if you are extremely disappointed or extremely pleased with it as it is today in a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being lowest.
3. If you use Fitbit (any wearable for that matter), do you know if Lifelog works with other wearables?
4. Does Smart Band recognise that you are running/cycling/boxing/swimming without having to tell/update it?

Thanks in advance.

S

ksekhar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 128

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksekhar View Post

Those who received Smart Band and are using it already, can you guys please let me know if it is good and worth getting one?

My Z2 comes with only noise cancelling headphones and no band. I like the concept of Smart Band but only disappointment is it is lacking display. I use Fitbit Force today and it is great. Now wondering if I should switch to SmartBand as I'll get Z2.

Questions:
2. If 1st question is hard to answer, just tell me if you are extremely disappointed or extremely pleased with it as it is today in a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being lowest.
3. If you use Fitbit (any wearable for that matter), do you know if Lifelog works with other wearables?
4. Does Smart Band recognise that you are running/cycling/boxing/swimming without having to tell/update it?

Thanks in advance.

S
Any reply here? At least how is SmartBand? Is it good, bad or it plays no role or whatever? Thanks.

benengyj
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:

Questions:

Thanks in advance.

S
1. Got it for free so I can't judge this.
2. Haven't used mine for long since I'm not using my Z2 as my daily phone yet. Seems to be pretty cool with notification features (seems like other apps can notify through it too). Build quality is good compared to my Fitbit Force, the band feels more flexible and the clasp feels more solid. Lifelog app leaves an annoying icon in the notification bar that I only managed to get rid of by disabling notifications from Android app settings.
3. As above. I have a Fitbit Force that works well. The SmartBand seems to track far fewer steps compared to it for some reason.
4. Not sure but the app seems to track all kinds of activities like reading, running, walking, etc. Might be based on app usage tracking though.
The Following User Says Thank You to benengyj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ayumiin
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Questions:

Thanks in advance.

S
1. For me, I feel it's too soon to tell. So far, it hasn't been life-changing but I'm enjoying it in my life.

2. Right now, I'd give it a solid 3. The band requires a lot on the app and it's not fully baked yet so I'm looking forward to future updates. One thing I was impressed about is the ability to update the firmware of the band itself so things that are lacking can eventually be improved in the future. Possibly my favorite feature is the vibrating for notifications. It's nowhere near perfect. Sometimes the band is vibrating for a long long time for certain apps' notifications or it notifies for silly little things. A little annoying but I have yet to miss a notification with the band. And I gotta say the band itself is mad comfortable. Had a bout with contact dermatitis but loosening it has cleared up that problem.

3. Dunno this one.

4. So far it only recognizes walking and running. It does it based on your stride and how fast you're moving and stuff. It's highly useless for me since most of my exercising is dancing. I take the measurements with a grain of salt. The app's supposed to update in the future with more tiles and stuff so we'll see.

Other notables, the smart wakeup is fun. Until you wake up so pleasantly only to see there's 10 minutes until your alarm goes off. I love/don't love this. The band is comfy but as a woman, I'm annoyed with the default black band and I'm eagerly awaiting the colored bands as well as some of the more fashionable concept bands. I hope they see the light of day otherwise I will have to fashion something of my own. The bookmark feature is something I will rarely use. As well as the weird tap to control thing. It's absolutely awkward to use.

And I think that's about all my impressions. And with none of the polish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ayumiin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cerebuspie
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

Questions:

Thanks in advance.

S
1. If you have a phone that is compatible with it ( 4.4 + BLE ) then it is definitely interesting, I have become addictive to the notifications, I used to miss calls and whatsapp messages with my phone in my pocket but not anymore, phone is always on silent and I get the buzz on my wrist. The activity tracking seems to be pretty accurate (steps), but there is about to be an explosion of fitness trackers hitting the market - it may be worth waiting a few months. The biggest drawback for me is lack of watch/time functionality, the notifications are great, the lack of alarm notification for non-Xperia phones is annoying, and Sony being Sony trying to prefer Xperia of other phones for functionality is going to be a pain.
2. 4, I've tried some other cheaper fitness trackers ( eg. MyKronoz for the watch function) and the quality of the smartband is very high compared to them
3. I'm not aware of it working with anything other than the sony smartband
4. Running yes, the others no. Sony appears to be releasing updates to lifeblogger that allows you to tell it you are doing these activities but only if you are using an Xperia phone ( I'm using galaxy note )

The lifeblog app is interesting - similar to Moves but not as accurate or intuitive ( location tracking, activity determination, location identification ), the location tracking for me is not accurate but the life tracking for sleep and phone based activities is becoming more engaging. There is also a tasker plugin to try and work around the lack of alarm notifications but i've not had the best of luck with it so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to cerebuspie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]