Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,303 Members 53,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLUTION] AdAway Not Working - Stuck on "Applying hosts file"

Tip us?

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 461

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocat3 View Post
It's not on TOP of the keyboard but directly above it. So when you're entering text input and trying to read what you wrote there's a blaring ad right below your text.

Incredibly obnoxious. The app is called "Awoken" and it's when you make a new entry in the dream journal: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...reaming.awoken
Ah ok. Well, at least you can opt out of them buy purchasing the premium version of it. I'd probably just do the AdAway option too, but the premium version does have the dark theme which would probably make it worth it to me. I much prefer white text on black backgrounds.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Samsung Galaxy S4 / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ? (One+1 maybe...)

bluizzo
Old
Thanks Meter 70
What also works for me is the same steps but just change to read-write and then apply adaway

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Phones
HTC Dream(G1)-retired and gone
-White
HTC Inspire4G
Galaxy Nexus
-junk drawer
Nexus 4
-enjoying bliss

Google+
The Doctor Sorry? Did you say she killed the Doctor? The Doctor? Doctor who?

Geforce256
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Lightbulb Still having problems - you can try this

Had the same issue on my HTC Desire running 4.4.2 OmniRom by Spezi77

I followed all the steps outlined in the OP, but still Adaway was stuck while applying the host file

Finally, managed to get it to work by disabling the toast notification for Adaway in SuperSU.

The original solution has been posted here (towards the end)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-24-12-32-31.png
Views:	718
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2760453  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geforce256 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wilogana
Old
Thanks Meter 0
On step 3: Using Explorer, I don't have a Permissions option when I select my hosts file. I also couldn't find an alternative File Manager with that option and I can't figure out why it isn't available for myself.

I know I'm probably missing something obvious here. Any ideas?

Geforce256
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I installed root explorer -free version just to reprodcue your problem. Yes, I get the same on step 3 - it only shows the properties of the host file. I think this is partly because the program does not ask for root permissions. With SuperSu i couldn't manually grant root permissions to it.

I would suggest you to use "ES file explorer" instead. When you open this program, access the left menu. Open tools and scroll down to find root explorer option. Now in the app click on the button next to it to switch it on. The program will now ask for root permissions from your super user program. Grant there rights. Then you have to click on the word root explorer and you will get a popup menu. In this menu you have to next to the /system select RW option. This will allow you to make changes to system.

Now close this left menu, and navigate to the hosts file and set the permissions. When you long press on the file you will get similar options as listed in the original post.

You can switch off the root explorer option when you are done.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Geforce256 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wilogana
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

Geforce256
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I am glad I was able to help

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app

iPAQ 6515a User
Old
Thanks Meter 99

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforce256 View Post
Had the same issue on my HTC Desire running 4.4.2 OmniRom by Spezi77

I followed all the steps outlined in the OP, but still Adaway was stuck while applying the host file

Finally, managed to get it to work by disabling the toast notification for Adaway in SuperSU.

The original solution has been posted here (towards the end)
Still hangs on parsing and merging .....
Have a question? Just watch this before you go public

Did I help you? Would you like to help me?
Please, add extra MBs to my Dropbox by signing up for your own one here

Toni10
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Thank you!
That has resolved the problem, that Adaway was not able to update the Host File.

Phones:
htc one M8 - gunmetall grey . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . htc one - black . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . htc one X - white
DevUnlocked+firewater S-OFF . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Revone unlocked+S-OFF . . . . . . . . . DevUnlocked

Tablet:
ASUS Infinity TF700 - grey

everything powered by
xda developers

Mezzi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey everyone, I tried the instructions here using both Root Explorer and ES Explorer but similar message on both explorers.

On Root Explorer "Permissions change was not successful. Please note that some file systems (e.g. SD card) do not allow permission changes

On ES Explorer "Sorry, operation failed."

Can anyone shed some light on these errors for me please. Thank you.

N.B. I am using the Huawei Y330