Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,444 Members 42,870 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][FAQ][Android 4.4 KitKat] Installing & Customizing CM11 or SlimKat

Tip us?

punDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One of the greatest guides. THANK YOU so much @Proverbs2!

Sorry for the ignorant question but... how do I enter recovery from SlimKat? I lost 2ndinit after flashing it; and last time this happened I tried to flash Defy TRWP with ROM Manager (from SlimKat) and got stuck in a bootloop having to flash everything from SBF.
I really need to access the recovery because I always do a nandroid backup of a clean installed ROM before messing with it. Is there another way to do it?

Thank you

Wulfric1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proverbs2 View Post
Glad you were able to recover with RSDLite

By the way, are you sure you were using the correct baseband when you were on CM11? If not, that might explain why you weren't getting mobile network.
Yes, the baseband was correct, but I think it was simple matter of enabling data while roaming. Seems foolish now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulfric1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Proverbs2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by punDroid View Post
One of the greatest guides. THANK YOU so much @Proverbs2!

Sorry for the ignorant question but... how do I enter recovery from SlimKat? I lost 2ndinit after flashing it; and last time this happened I tried to flash Defy TRWP with ROM Manager (from SlimKat) and got stuck in a bootloop having to flash everything from SBF.
I really need to access the recovery because I always do a nandroid backup of a clean installed ROM before messing with it. Is there another way to do it?

Thank you
During bootup, after the Motorola logo but before the bootanimation begins, you'll see a screen that tells you to either press the menu button to enter recovery or the search button to continue with normal bootup.

Elmosso
Old
(Last edited by Elmosso; 3rd July 2014 at 12:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Hey First of all, thanks for the Guide!
But I had quite a few troubles with it x_x I hope you can help me with that...
Soo.. I wanted to get cm11 working on my defy(mb525). Before that i had cm7. Then , because i managed it somehow to get it into bootloop, I reset it into Factory mode and flashed the standart Froyo 2.2 back on it. After that I followed all steps, even rooted it again with superoneclick, but 2ndInit didnt install , it said Superuser oder supersu was missing. So I downloaded superuser but that didnt work... then I took an older version of 2ndInit and downloaded supersu x_x at first it looked like it was working , it installed it and all ,then i wanted to reboot to see if the blue led was on,but then I got into a Bootloop again it looked different though , i saw the red logo , then the screen turned black , then the logo again, and so on. So i went and did a factory reset once more but it did nothin, im stuck in bootloop..Im desperate and I dont know what to do, almost wanted to throw that damn thing out of the window ;D soooo... does someone have an idea how to solve my problem ? :/ Or did I destroy the damn thing ? I just installed 2ndlnit , that cant be the problem right ?

alerort
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmosso View Post
Hey First of all, thanks for the Guide!
[...]
Im desperate and I dont know what to do, almost wanted to throw that damn thing out of the window ;D soooo... does someone have an idea how to solve my problem ? :/ Or did I destroy the damn thing ? I just installed 2ndlnit , that cant be the problem right ?
No, you probably haven't. just follow the defy unbrick guide - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1828639

I have sucessfully rooted and installed CM11 on my old Defy yesterday, following the guide on the first page.
Had a couple of problems (bloated phone w/ android 2.2, perhaps I should have done a wipe before rooting it), SuperSU kept stopping after boot and after any app asking for root, so I had to give permissions to them manually in SuperSU, I had to install 2ndinit v. 1.4.2, and my blue LED never lit up, phone entered recovery after every boot.

After flashing TWRP the phone just showed the M logo and then black screen, no blue LED... but I have still managed to enter boot menu after pressing repeteadly the vloume down key when the M logo was on screen.
Had to try some 10 times before getting it right, but it appeared that to flash a SBF I would have to install windows first - as I've found out now, it should be easier than in windows http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13730405

The recommended version of TWRP ( 2.6.3.0) can flash up to 10 zip files at once, I've put all the 3 files in the queue and I wiped dalvik cache before rebooting.
Basically I think you did everything almost right, except that when already in the boot menu you should have flashed TWRP, reboot, "safewipe.zip", the CM11 zip and the gapps zip.\

Good luck with unbricking!

And many thanks to Proverbs2 for putting together this very complete guide!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alerort For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SkUrRiEr
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Bug report in Quarx's CM11 ROM

(posting this here as I'm too new to post to the development thread)

I'm running the 30th of June Nightly and would like to report that bug 2f from the "offical" bug post: speaker muted when Bluetooth headsets are disconnected - is still not completely fixed for me.

I use Bluetooth devices extensively (headset and car kit) and occasionally (approximately 50% of the time) the speaker is muted when I am disconnected from the Bluetooth device. I haven't conclusively narrowed it down to a specific device or circumstances yet, however I always disconnect from the car kit by "going out of range" and the headset by turning it off. I'm not sure if that is a contributing factor but it seems to mainly happen with the car kit. (It has an "automatic" mode: attempt to connect when it hears a loud noise (car doors), disconnect when I'm "out of range")

Plugging in a set of headphones and then unplugging them restores sound to the speaker.

Other than that, a couple of "new install" issues and some random other "developing software" glitches, it's much better than Jellybean 4.1 and is almost at the level of stability I enjoyed when I ran non-XDA ICS ROMs.