Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,076 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+] Awesome Icons - Customize Home Screen Icons

Tip us?

momosimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [APP][4.0+] Awesome Icons - Customize Home Screen Icons

Click image for larger version

Name:	shortcuts.png
Views:	554
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2816843

Awesome Icons is a completely free application for using icons from various icon packs on the home screen without requiring a third party launcher or rooted environment. It allows one to pick icons for applications one by one, even mixing icons from different icon packs. One may also customize the label for the shortcut even removing it entirely for a completely different feeling on the home screen.

Features:
- Use icons freely from any icon pack for the home screen shortcuts on the default launcher; most icon packs are supported.
- Customize labels for the shortcuts on the home screen.
- See icons suggested for applications from all icon packs at once.

Please try it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.momocode.shortcuts

mrdoug
Old
(Last edited by mrdoug; 25th June 2014 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 49
Tried it out briefly on my HTC one (m7). Works well for the most part, but does seem a bit buggy, (at least with Sense 6).

Creating an icon from the app menu creates a HUGE icon that has no label and cannot be moved to the launcher bar. If I create it through the app, it works correctly.

Unfortunately, it cannot find the phone dialer app. This makes it unusable for me, as I wanted to change all of my lockscreen shortcuts to be themed with my launcher icons (nova).

I hope you can fix this in future editions. This is the one uncustomized item I needed to change to make everything seamless. [emoji4]

EDIT- Also, a suggestion... A dark theme would be awesome for people who work with white icons. It is very difficult to see them on the light cream background (Circle White Icon Pack).

momosimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Tried it out briefly on my HTC one (m7). Works well for the most part, but does seem a bit buggy, (at least with Sense 6).

Creating an icon from the app menu creates a HUGE icon that has no label and cannot be moved to the launcher bar. If I create it through the app, it works correctly.

Unfortunately, it cannot find the phone dialer app. This makes it unusable for me, as I wanted to change all of my lockscreen shortcuts to be themed with my launcher icons (nova).

I hope you can fix this in future editions. This is the one uncustomized item I needed to change to make everything seamless. [emoji4]

EDIT- Also, a suggestion... A dark theme would be awesome for people who work with white icons. It is very difficult to see them on the light cream background (Circle White Icon Pack).
Thank you for trying it out.

That huge icon is actually a widget. The feature is not documented very well right now, but the idea is that if you create a widget, you can make the icon larger than a normal shortcut. (Ordinary shortcut uses the space for label even if you empty it.)

I can't imagine why the dialer is not showing up, but I'll certainly look into it. It's probably an HTC custom dialer application, but if it shows up in the application menu, it should show up on this app as well.

Also you're perfectly right about the need for different background to preview the icons against. I'll make a note of it.

Thank you for the feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to momosimo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrdoug
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by momosimo View Post
Thank you for trying it out.

That huge icon is actually a widget. The feature is not documented very well right now, but the idea is that if you create a widget, you can make the icon larger than a normal shortcut. (Ordinary shortcut uses the space for label even if you empty it.)

I can't imagine why the dialer is not showing up, but I'll certainly look into it. It's probably an HTC custom dialer application, but if it shows up in the application menu, it should show up on this app as well.

Also you're perfectly right about the need for different background to preview the icons against. I'll make a note of it.

Thank you for the feedback.
If it helps any... If you come up with a beta you need to test, especially any fix for the dialer not showing, feel free to post it and I'll be glad to give it a look through. Thank you for looking into this.

Sent from my secret lair in an undisclosed mountainside.

mrdoug
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Just got the update. Awesome, the dialer works now.

Thanks!

momosimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Just got the update. Awesome, the dialer works now.

Thanks!

Hello again. I was just about to come and tell you about the new version, but I see you actually kept the app and noticed already.
I'm very happy to hear that it works for you now.
The Following User Says Thank You to momosimo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrdoug
Old
(Last edited by mrdoug; 7th July 2014 at 01:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Hello again. I was just about to come and tell you about the new version, but I see you actually kept the app and noticed already.
I'm very happy to hear that it works for you now.
Thanks. Here are pics of what I use it for... It let's me theme my lock screen without having to use a replacement (which I've found replacements don't seem to integrate well).

Perhaps this will provide others inspiration. Thanks again for this great app. [emoji4]

momosimo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Thanks. Here are pics of what I use it for... It let's me theme my lock screen without having to use a replacement (which I've found replacements don't seem to integrate well).
Thanks for sharing! I hadn't even imagined it could be used like that. I guess some lock screens allow shortcuts as mine (Nexus 5) doesn't seem to do that.

mrdoug
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I hadn't even imagined it could be used like that. I guess some lock screens allow shortcuts as mine (Nexus 5) doesn't seem to do that.
Yeah, I use an HTC One (m7). Sense 5+ uses whatever you have as your dock icons for the lockscreen. Since I use a custom launcher (Nova), I don't even see it on my home screen, yet it allows for the seamless lockscreen look.

I also use glovebox, themed with my desktop icons.