64GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD cards not working on S5 and Note 10.1

OP ksporry

24th May 2014, 11:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

195 posts
So,
I understood that I could use up to 128GB on the S5.
If this is true, why Can't I use a standard sandisk Ultra micro SD card of 64GB? The menu shows me I can unmount and format, but that doesn't seem to work. I tried formatting in MS-DOS (FAT) format using my Mac (I don't have windows), which worked for my Note 2 but not my S5.
If I try writing a file to the micro SD card it says: "ERROR, could not write file".
When I try to format using the phone, it says no card installed (despite the card being installed, its size being indicated, the unmount and format options being available, etc).

Interesting, I have a second one installed in my note 10.1 2014 edition, and that one behaves a little different. It is also not usable but it greys out the unmount and format options as if the card does not exist (yet still it indicates the available size). Note, for this one I also used the MS-DOS (FAT) formatting method on my Mac.

I know the micro SD cards for both the S5 and the note 10.1 2014 edition are both ok, because I tested them on my Note 2, which reads and writes to the cards perfectly fine.
Both the S5 the tablet and the microSD cards were bought on Singapore Airport.

For info, the tablet runs 4.3 and the S5 runs 4.4.2 straight from the box.

Can someone help me with this?
Last edited by ksporry; 24th May 2014 at 11:41 AM.
24th May 2014, 12:09 PM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

195 posts
So I found for the Note 10.1, if I format it with my Note 2, it accepts the card and I can use it normally.

The S5 does not do this, so I suspect this is another major issue with kitkat 4.4.2 (I also have VPN issues with 4.4.2 which I don't have on 4.3)
24th May 2014, 07:51 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 17

118 posts
I have the same card you have in my S5 (it was in my S4 before). I have no issue with the card. But I cannot use other app than the stock file manager to write to it. This is a Kitkat issue though.
7th July 2014, 09:58 PM   |  #4  
clinton
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airax

I have the same card you have in my S5 (it was in my S4 before). I have no issue with the card. But I cannot use other app than the stock file manager to write to it. This is a Kitkat issue though.

i have a 64gb sdhc and i get the error icon on pic and videos when i try and transfer from laptop, phone storage to sd or any type of way the s5 will show the crash icon on the pic and wont view it. Ive used a new 64gb sdxc and 64gb sdhc both did the samething.
7th July 2014, 10:12 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 103

655 posts
I've had 2 of the same genuine SanDisk 64gb cards fail in a similar way on my S3 because I tried to format in Fat32 so it would work with directory bind to move data to external but both times it killed the cards and only a few formatting programs even recognised the card in the end, So this time I'm taking no risks and the card was formatted in S3 then S5 and has gone nowhere near a PC and has run perfect for over a year now.
7th July 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 17

118 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_P

I've had 2 of the same genuine SanDisk 64gb cards fail in a similar way on my S3 because I tried to format in Fat32 so it would work with directory bind to move data to external but both times it killed the cards and only a few formatting programs even recognised the card in the end, So this time I'm taking no risks and the card was formatted in S3 then S5 and has gone nowhere near a PC and has run perfect for over a year now.

And I regularly put my Micro SD into a PC to copy files without issue.
8th July 2014, 12:42 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 103

655 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airax

And I regularly put my Micro SD into a PC to copy files without issue.

Just try to avoid formatting in PC because that's where you might get the problems... And anyway I just backup on flash drive through OTG because it saves all that hassle of installing drivers on everything and sitting at the computer or removing the card most days.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread