Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,489 Members 45,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[app] [2.2+] [dev] THE BOX - a free app for custom ROM devs & themers

Tip us?

erikalin
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingmonkeys View Post
I don't but I can look up how to
It would be easier to create a new app in Eclipse than to figure out how to edit it after the fact in this case. To use buttons as links to open in the browser (what you want) rather than in a webview (what is here) is a much easier thing for an app to do. My very first app did that because I couldn't figure out webviews at first, lol. If I have time this weekend, I can make up another version just for you. It doesn't seem people are seeing this app anyway, so I might not have much else to do with it...

Give me the url links for your three buttons specifically, so if I do have time I'll make up a version of The Box for you with browser loads rather than webviews. Tutorials take like ten times as long as just making something on my own and giving it to you. It makes me cringe as a teacher, but if no one else is using this, I have time to hook you up. I will use demo images but your links, so you'll just drop your own images in.

BTW, Add "learn Eclipse" to your to-do list for this little Android hobby. ... very fun possibilities, my friend. Although it helps to already know JAVA you can figure a lot out one piece at a time. Cheers.
Are you about to ask a question? Hold up. Before you do that, did you check HERE?
NEW! The Box - my latest app...Seriously, at least check out the nice video promo.

erikalin
Old
Thanks Meter 2182
The Box v.2.0 is up. Changelog in the OP.

Basically, skip the webview calls and instead load directly into browser or forum-browser (i.e. Tapatalk) per user's phone defaults.

Better, faster. Users who already have The Box set up for their ROM are liking it.
Thanks @talkingmonkeys for the request - I like it.

Here are a couple screenshots from a customized implementation of The Box v.2 made up for the Wicked X ROM on the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3. There are two theme options here:

If anyone has questions on how to customize The Box for your own project, just ask.

If you downloaded version 1 and are using it to work on, I highly suggest downloading the latest version 2.0 from the OP for your base.
Are you about to ask a question? Hold up. Before you do that, did you check HERE?
NEW! The Box - my latest app...Seriously, at least check out the nice video promo.

rirozizo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1159
hi, i just had this idea in mind when i saw this thread and the demo video. you did a wonderful job, this is a perfect base for maybe a ported of a ROM willing to add his own method of ROM updates and whatnot.

I just had the idea of making this a simple tasker-based app which can be shared and easily edited using tasker itself.
I can help you make the same app using tasker. Personally, i find it easier to change your dummy (dummy = template) app using tasker rather than code change.
So what do you think?

ISOCK youtube channel
ROM Specific Q&A/T Thread Template on the PORTAL

Get a (battery) Life!

Member of Slim Team (Support is never via PM)

Currently working on: Making slimkat in-depth reviews and updates

Phone: Google Nexus4 LG E960 Mako 16GB Black | ROM: Latest Slimkat Build | Kernel: Changing | CPU: Never Overclocked | Recovery: TWRP/MultiROM
Dropbox link <--- click this to get extra space!

My Blog

erikalin
Old
Thanks Meter 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rirozizo View Post
hi, i just had this idea in mind when i saw this thread and the demo video. you did a wonderful job, this is a perfect base for maybe a ported of a ROM willing to add his own method of ROM updates and whatnot.

I just had the idea of making this a simple tasker-based app which can be shared and easily edited using tasker itself.
I can help you make the same app using tasker. Personally, i find it easier to change your dummy (dummy = template) app using tasker rather than code change.
So what do you think?
Howdy. I'm sending you a PM...
The Following User Says Thank You to erikalin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rirozizo
Old
(Last edited by rirozizo; 25th June 2014 at 11:53 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1159
Post also available HERE (with PICTURES )

This post will serve as a guide to devs/themers that don't want to decompile and fiddle with codes.

This is the Tasker way, you need Tasker and the app factory plugin.

I recreated the (almost) exact same app using tasker, because it makes it easier for devs/themers to modify and edit it.

dummy app: https://app.box.com/s/ttn1dk12qn7p822h7d4a

xml for the above dummy app: https://app.box.com/s/zstoi4ih1088bwb3z0kk

version is 2.0 (same as original) to avoid any confusion.

Tutorial for modifying this app using Tasker:

Import Project
Quote:
- Open Tasker, click the home icon on the bottom left, click import, and pick the xml file you downloaded from the link above.
Change URLs and button images
Quote:
- Open "The Box" scene, click the Downloads button, go to TAP section, click the "Browse URL" task, edit the URL to your liking.
- Hit the back button at the top left, then do the same things for XDA and the optional 3rd button.
-- That's it! easy peasy for changing links.
--While you're at it, you can tap on any button to change its image, and also change the size so that it scales right.
Change buttons' places
Quote:
- Click and drag any button to change its position (but please try and keep the order the same so that it stays consistent across all projects).
Change the background
Quote:
- Press and hold on the background then hit edit, and change anything you want there.
DO NOT EDIT THE ABOUT BUTTON! NOR THE ABOUT SCENE! You can only change it's location if you absolutely NEED to. Other than that, you have no right to modify it. Thank you.

Change the resolution to fit your device
Quote:
- In the scene, hit menu, properties, and under the geometry section, make sure the resolution is for your device.
-- This is a tasker limitation that cannot be solved, so your app will have a fixed resolution.
-- You might need to change the size/position of the buttons after changing the resolution.
Export as apk/xml
Quote:
-- Now that we finished modifying it to our taste, we want to export it.
- Go back to tasker, hit the project icon at the bottom, hit export, LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IS, just hit back. So that's project icon, export, back.

- Wait till it does its job, then click the android icon to install the app.
- Test it, if it's fine go to /sdcard/Tasker/Factory/Kids/ you'll see the exported apk there, ready to be used in a project

ISOCK youtube channel

Get a (battery) Life!

Phone: Google Nexus4 LG E960 Mako 16GB Black | ROM: Latest Slimkat Build | Kernel: Changing | CPU: Never Overclocked | Recovery: TWRP/MultiROM

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to rirozizo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erikalin
Old
Thanks Meter 2182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rirozizo View Post
This post will serve as a guide to devs/themers that don't want to decompile and fiddle with codes.

This is the Tasker way, you need Tasker and the app factory plugin...
Looks good, mate. Linked to in the OP. Look forward to a few screenshots for the tutorial part, but I'm thinking people who use Tasker will find this useful.

rirozizo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikalin View Post
Looks good, mate. Linked to in the OP. Look forward to a few screenshots for the tutorial part, but I'm thinking people who use Tasker will find this useful.
Guide updated, i added pics but on my website (it's the exact same guide, but with two pics just to clarify some hidden options inside tasker). I won't be adding them here on XDA because of some issues and limitations (i do this on all my guides, even my biggest guide)

ISOCK youtube channel

Get a (battery) Life!

My Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to rirozizo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

erikalin
Old
Thanks Meter 2182
"Customer Satisfaction" is high where The Box is currently implemented. End-users seem to like it. Devs not so much?

The Following User Says Thank You to erikalin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]