Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,537 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't see 5GHz WiFis

Tip us?

UsernameWasTaken
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Default Can't see 5GHz WiFis

5GHz Wifi N signals are "missing" on my XSP.

While at home, my old LG 4X picked up automatically three 5GHz frequencies from local hotspots using WiFi Analyzer app. The Xperia SP doesn't display any, like the 5GHz is not there at all. Tried with all the 5GHz channels turned on in the app, as well as just a few, more common of them, to no avail. Furthermore, WiFi Analyzer is missing the 5G icon on its graph screen.

I thought it was the weak signal problem on the SP so many spoke about, but I found the WiFi performs much better at the same places and circumstances than the mentioned 4X, although at 2.4GHz. I also went to a place where I previously used a 5GHz wifi, but still nothing.

The phone is on .1.254 generic UK FW.

UsernameWasTaken
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 77
Can anyone help me with this?

ingenero
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default No 5Ghz

I can confirm this. I'm on 1.205 and I can't see any 5Ghz AP. The phone is advertised as dual band, even tho I don't use a dual band router this still annoys me, My old and cheap Blu Dash 4.5 gets better speed from the router (130+) compared to the SP (74). I'm happy with the XP but these WiFi issues are really annoying.

For a fix, my uninformed opinion is, this should be addressed on the kernel or driver level, the chipset has the dual band hardware but something is missing between the hardware and our stock FWs.